Weekes: Does the Capitals move of Vitek Vanecek opens the door for John Gibson to Washington?

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Sure.. but dont think thats whats cooking.

If they were to go for Gibson it would make more sense to trade Samsonov instead of Vanecek, and you’d figure the 1st this year would have been part of the trade package.

Its either UFA signing or experienced 1A tandem goalie like Varlamov/Talbot/Allen.

Last edited:

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
What would DC realistically have to move? I think Verbeek starts with McMichael for sure, doubt the Caps would want to go there with Backstrom aging

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
So who is being moved out not only for the cap space required for Gibson but also that Anaheim would want as part of the package?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Weekes is saying every team who needs a goalie should trade for Gibson. He has sources but has had a lot of misses as well, and speculates a lot which comes off as legit rumors.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
is there a rumor the caps aren't involved in?
Considering they have $17M in LTIR relief and another $9M in actual cap space to play with, a clear opening at starting goalie, and a pretty presumptive opening at 2C with Backstrom's injury status - they are going to be linked to basically every goalie and center on the market for good reason.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
What would DC realistically have to move? I think Verbeek starts with McMichael for sure, doubt the Caps would want to go there with Backstrom aging
Maybe that's the ask but there's no chance McMichael is moved for Gibson. Backstrom is out, probably for the season and maybe forever, and McMichael is likely their 2C of the future (and present) unless they get someone else via trade or free agency.

Reactions: Hivemind

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Maybe that's the ask but there's no chance McMichael is moved for Gibson. Backstrom is out, probably for the season and maybe forever, and McMichael is likely their 2C of the future (and present) unless they get someone else via trade or free agency.
There’s no way Verbeek does it without him either. Don’t think the two teams would be able to make this one work honestly

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Weekes is saying every team who needs a goalie should trade for Gibson. He has sources but has had a lot of misses as well, and speculates a lot which comes off as legit rumors.

Everything I've heard him say about this topic seems more opinionated rather than rumors. I know he was pretty adamant that Toronto was making a big mistake for not paying what it took to get him. He didn't say anything about actual rumors though; just speculation.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Getting a player like McMichael for your salary dump of a goaltender is an absurd ask. Ducks will have to pay to offload that contract.
What would you trade for him, then? It sounds like you expect to get him for almost nothing lol.

McMichael has a career high of 18 points as it stands. It’s more than reasonable for a goalie like a Gibson. As I said above, I totally get them not wanting to make that move, but the ask is fine.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
What would you trade for him, then?
I wouldn't.

McMichael has a career high of 18 points as it stands. It’s more than reasonable for a goalie like a Gibson. As I said above, I totally get them not wanting to make that move, but the ask is fine.
Judging McMichael based off his rookie year point totals as a 20 year old is some pretty terrible asset evaluation. He was barely played by a coach who only played younger players when injuries forced him to. He got zero powerplay time. Yet he was still a highly effective play driver in the minutes he did get, and all of his underlying metrics were superb. He's a great prospect, not a throw-in for an over-the-hill goalie.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I wouldn't.

Judging McMichael based off his rookie year point totals as a 20 year old is some pretty terrible asset evaluation. He was barely played by a coach who only played younger players when injuries forced him to. He got zero powerplay time. Yet he was still a highly effective play driver in the minutes he did get, and all of his underlying metrics were superb. He's a great prospect, not a throw-in for an over-the-hill goalie.
I’d be fine with 1 for 1. In no way is that a “throw-in.” It’s the exact opposite of one actually.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
There’s no way Verbeek does it without him either. Don’t think the two teams would be able to make this one work honestly
If you’ve seen Gibson’s stats over the past little while, you’ll realize there’s plenty of reason he WILL do it without McMichael, here’s a hint, it’s because he’ll have to.

I’d be fine with 1 for 1. In no way is that a “throw-in.” It’s the exact opposite of one actually.
Aim lower, think a 2023 Caps 1st. That’s about as high as they’re going to go.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
1st, Lapierre, and Eller is what the offer will look like
Helllllll no.

Still would massively favor Anaheim. Why are the Caps giving up a high-ceiling, recent first round pick on an ELC for a goalie that has sucked the past three years on a terrible contract?

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad