Speculation: Does Stamkos end up leaving like Alfredsson?

Stamkos leaves unhappy after a full career there.

• Yes

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • No

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 12 35.3%

• Total voters

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Tampa Bay Lightning captain Steven Stamkos admitted Wednesday he's disappointed to be heading into the season with an expiring contract.

Stamkos, 33, is currently set to play out the last of an eight-year, $68 million deal with a cap hit of $8.5 million, and become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

“To be honest, I've been disappointed in the lack of talk in that regard," Stamkos said. "It was something that I expressed at the end of last year, that I wanted to get something done before training camp started.

"There haven't been any conversations.”

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Well I doubt he'll be feeling like he got screwed quite like Alfie did, but ya I think he moves on. This was the start of that process imo.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Voted No. Because its impossible.

Stamkos won cups with Tampa. His legacy and goodwill books will always be good for that.

ACLEVERNAME

Jan 6, 2010
Always hard with a fan favorite and franchise legend, but letting Stankos walk in free-agency is the smartest (and most likely) move for Tampa. Brisbois is playing tight-lip for a reason. That's a lot of the pressure off their cap. Hard lesson of 'business' - it's not what you were but what you will be.

That being said, it's nothing like the Alfie situation. At all.

Also chance he ends up inToronto on a sweet-heart deal (Claude Giroux?).

This should be moved to the rumors thread.

We need an "Around The NHL" thread or something....
:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Show some f***ing respect.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
As Jeff O’Neill said on Overdrive yesterday - “Steven Stamkos has no intention of ever buying a winter jacket.”

This will get worked out. He’s a legend there, has won his cups, and the lifestyle in Tampa is too good.

Dreger mentioned that at some point, he’d expect the owner to step in and get it done. I bet he takes a Giroux-esque deal.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
This is the most Leafs thread I have ever seen and it's in the Ottawa forum.

Are we getting a Matthews fashion thread next?

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad