Does Spooner have a shot at making the big league team?

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Caron was penciled into the lineup before but is injured and has been very underwhelming this year in Providence. How about Spooner, could he make the team and be put on the 3rd line as a winger and see how he does?

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
I think it is between him and Bourque right now which I know is not a bold prediction. When I've seen the P-Bruins play Spooner was more impressive to me than Bourque. He was shifty and creative with the puck and played pretty well along the boards for a smaller guy. Also his speed and quickness could be great for the penalty kill

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Thinking with this team's strength up the middle, and Spoons earning valuable minutes/experience in Providence most likely Julien keeps a spot open for someone a touch better suited for a 3rd line role. I'd say the competition will be between Knight (if he shakes the rustiness and Bourque

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
I'd like to see the big club commit to spooner/knight/bourque for a good set of time before they make a move regardless of who they choose. I for one am glad caron is not going to be up....

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Although he plays RW I wonder if AHL veteran Jamie Tardif gets a chance to compete for a third line role in Boston.

He has 16 goals and 7 assists in 32 games this season, right up there with Bourque and Spooner as the top three scorers in Providence.

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
If Spooner makes the team, then he won't get much ice time. I think right now they're not pressed to make him play in the NHL, and would prefer to give him top minutes & develope more.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I don't think he has much of a chance at all really and that's not a bad thing. Let these guys grow in providence. There really is no need to rush him. Let Bourque take the job as he's been good in providence or one of the other more experienced PB players. When healthy I'm sure Caron and Bourque will be splitting duties.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I think the 2 best bets to be impact 3rd liners with scoring ability are spooner and sauve. Everyone seems to hate on sauve for being injury prone but when healthy, he has in my opinion the most captivating skill set out of all forward prospects. 6-2, 200, speed to burn, great hands and shot, with the ability to thread the needle with his passes. He's had a better year in terms of staying on the ice with just a few minor injuries so far (mild concussion, upper body injury) but nothing to derail him going forward.

Spooner seems like he would be better suited for a top 6 role but I could see him on the 3rd line if julien thinks they need some more life in their power play. Personally I think spooner has more savard in him then krecji does and might finally be the answer on the halfwall the B's have been searching for.

Nothing against Chris bourque or Jamie tariff but I just don't think they are explosive enough and skilled enough to translate AHL success to the NHL level.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I agree the B's won't try to rush Spooner to the Majors so soon after starting his professional career.

Look for Jamie Tardif or Maxime Sauve to contend for the 3rd line slot, even Ray's kid.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I agree the B's won't try to rush Spooner to the Majors so soon after starting his professional career.

Look for Jamie Tardif or Maxime Sauve to contend for the 3rd line slot, even Ray's kid.

sure be nice to see Sauve somehow go injury free, has great tools but...

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
He's better suited for a call up later on. It can't hurt him staying down Providence. It'll only help his development. No need to rush him.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Sure, Caron is (luckily) not an option right now why not give Spooner a shot.

You know Bourque is a little undersized and isn't going to be a star there isn't much upside and Chris will get plenty of chances between this and next year. Giving Spooner a shot right when we open up is win win. He either does well and gets NHL experience on a line with Kelly. Or he goes back to Providence and develops as a center.

I hope Caron when healthy is sent a message and forced to play in Providence the rest of the season since he's been awful down there. He can be a black ace and we'll see him in camp next fall.

Ace0813

Bleed Black & Gold
Aug 28, 2008
New Hampshire
I remember the young guns game or whatever vs the Islanders when Seguin was a rookie, everyone was so excited to see Tyler and to be honest, Spooner was the better player then. Scored the OT goal, real shifty and an offensive threat on every rush.

I can't wait for Spooner to challenge for a spot.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
I think if it were a longer season with a longer training camp, Spooner might have a better shot at breaking camp with the team. With only 48 games, they might decide that there isn't enough time to try and break someone in and deal with the ups and downs that a true NHL rookie will go through. Not that Bourque is any type of established NHL player, but they might have a better idea of what they will get from him on a day to day basis, at least to start.

That being said, it wouldn't shock me to see Spooner be the guy from the get-go, I think the Bruins are really high on him as a player. Even if it is not at the beginning of the year, I would expect him to be called up and contribute to the team at some point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad