Does/should the organization wash its hands of Leino this summer?

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
I don't see any reason to buy him out next year, unless there's some locker room issue. The guy needs to play though.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
First off, Leino isn't a BAD player. He's a 2nd line LWer who can score 50-60 pts. We stuck him in a 3rd/4th line role with no PP time last year. In his limited time this year, he was productive

8 GP, 2 G, 4 A.

He isn't a cancer. He's a guy we overpaid for, forced him to play out of position, when it didn't work out we banished him to scrub minutes and he wasn't happy.

Since we aren't going to be spending up to the cap next year and the amnesty buyout extends to next summer, there really isn't much reason to buy him out this year

Buy out this summer is 10 million
Buy out next summer is 7.33 million.

His salary for next year is 4 million

So, 10 million to buy him out next year and he's a free agent this summer

11.33 million (including his salary) to let him play next year and see if he can thrive in a role that we know he can play once he's healthy.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I want Leino kept until the Sabres are back in the playoffs. If they can make a deep playoff push, I fully expect Leino's beard to be to his knees. I've seen bamboo grow slower.

koarl

Mar 19, 2011
Graz / Austria
Leino won't get bought out this summer. If he has a bad season next year, probably re-evaluate the situation. It's also possible, that they find a taker in a trade. His actual salary is less than his caphit. There might be some takers that offer some picks or other struggling players with upside. Still better than a buyout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad