Does/should the organization wash its hands of Leino this summer?

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I don't hate Leino as much as most. But with Regier's commitment to the rebuild growing increasingly evident, does the organization wash its hands of Leino this summer by using one of its two allotted amnesty buyouts?

The franchise is devoid of talent on the wing both short- and long-term. Moving Vanek and Stafford makes that even clearer.

Does Regier also decide to go young and replace Leino, thereby admitting that his signing was a failed experiment? Or does he keep him around as a "go-to" veteran scorer - one that can take Armia under his wing, perhaps?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Do they?: No

Should they?: probably not.

If he has surgery I'm not sure he will be eligible to be bought out this summer. There is another amnesty buyout next summer. They can wait a year. They shouldn't need the cap space.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
If he has surgery I'm not sure he will be eligible to be bought out this summer. There is another amnesty buyout next summer. They can wait a year. They shouldn't need the cap space.

Agreed. And vet scoring on a young, rebuilding team is hardly a problem.

I'm just not sure where Regier stands regarding Leino. He can't be happy with the signing thus far.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
They can hold off the buyout decision until 2014, correct? My thoughts would be to keep him next year for two reasons. 1.) to try to recoup trade value if they want to go that route and 2.) it was only 8 games but I really liked his game this season and want to see if he's really the player they thought they were getting.

Since they can punt both buyouts until 2014, I would be inclined to save both of them and see if the obvious candidates (Leino, Stafford) can succeed with a different coach to either improve trade value or be a part of the rebuilding effort.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
No point in buying him out now. The cap won't be a problem and there's nobody ready to replace him, unless it's another UFA signing which would also be pointless. Unless he's taking a roster spot from somebody better/more productive in 2014-15, I wouldn't buy him out then either. If Vanek is traded by then, they'll need him somewhere.

Mergus merganser

Oct 23, 2006
Why? He finally looked worth 4.5 million this season. They likely won't be near the cap the next two years, so there is no reason to buy him out.

BCS

Feb 18, 2008
No real point unless the money is being spent on someone else. If not, give him another year.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
He's going to be one of the only halfway decent NHL scorers on the team next season. There's no reason to get rid of him now, especially since cap space won't be an issue.

Clock

May 13, 2006
He's going to be one of the only halfway decent NHL scorers on the team next season. There's no reason to get rid of him now, especially since cap space won't be an issue.

This.

The cap isn't going to be a concern, so as long as the guy isn't going to be a poor leadership figure for the kiddies, it starts becoming a non-issue.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Leino is the summer 2014 buyout candidate.

The rules are you an't buyout if injured. I am not sure how that is interpretted.

I also am not sure when is the time to declare who the buy out candidates are.

a team may want to wait until the draft and trades they make before deciding who will get bought out. It depends on who is kept/traded.

If Vanek resigns then Leino is a bigger candidate to get waived than if Vanek is traded.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
I'd do it while they still have the compliance buyout option. You're blowing it up, may as well get that cap space back for the later years of the deal when it might be needed more.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Since they can punt both buyouts until 2014, I would be inclined to save both of them and see if the obvious candidates (Leino, Stafford) can succeed with a different coach to either improve trade value or be a part of the rebuilding effort.

Are you sure they can punt and wait on both buyouts and do them in 2014?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Zero reason to. Rebuilding teams never spend near the cap and by the time the team is ready to be competitive again he will have as little as 2 years left on his contract. 2 years of Leino at 4.5 Million is a tradeable (dumpable) asset.

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
Zero reason to. Rebuilding teams never spend near the cap and by the time the team is ready to be competitive again he will have as little as 2 years left on his contract. 2 years of Leino at 4.5 Million is a tradeable (dumpable) asset.

His real salary will be 3 and 3 as well

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I think they'd want him around also to help assimilate Armia to North America. It could prove very beneficial to him having another Finn on the team.

That could backfire if Leino starts telling him about how strange and terrible the team or organization is. :laugh:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Considering they'll need help next year, it's probably best to keep him and re-evaluate the following season. The risk is that if he's healthy and can be bought out this summer, perhaps he won't be the following summer. Ultimately don't care much whichever they decide but I don't see it as being a no-brainer.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I'd do it while they still have the compliance buyout option. You're blowing it up, may as well get that cap space back for the later years of the deal when it might be needed more.

The compliance buyouts are available both this summer and next.

Leino's injury might prevent him from being bought out this offseason anyways, so there might not be a choice in the matter for the Sabres. I'm not sure what the criteria is: whether he has to play the final game, be medically cleared prior to the buyout window, or whatnot.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I think they'd want him around also to help assimilate Armia to North America. It could prove very beneficial to him having another Finn on the team.

That's only if Armia makes the team. I'm of the mindset he won't make the Sabres out of camp. They'll want him to develop in Rochester for a year. Maybe get 3-7 games due to injuries, but nothing significant.

Leino can be bought out in 2014 if he doesn't have a solid year.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
That's only if Armia makes the team. I'm of the mindset he won't make the Sabres out of camp. They'll want him to develop in Rochester for a year. Maybe get 3-7 games due to injuries, but nothing significant.

Leino can be bought out in 2014 if he doesn't have a solid year.

I think that Vanek is going to be moved so they're going to give Armia every chance to make the roster as they need the infusion of skill

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

He's not even close to a "decent scorer". At all. He can maintain puck possession every fourth shift. Get him the **** gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad