Does rebuild next year mean Hecht returns?

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
I know everyone hates him and he's fairly useless offensively but he's been great defensively and I would be open to having him on the 4th line

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
I don't think so, I think both Jochen and the Sabres won't really be interested in that. If we just need some warm bodies to fill out the roster, there are plenty of other guys available.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
OMG....no freaking way. He's another guy linked to the past, one who will be 36, one who has a crappy season, one who floats, one who really isn't a leader either, one who has never won squatt....no freaking way.

I'd rather they just say screw it and fill out the entire roster with Girgs, grigs, armia, larson and just let the young guys play. No need for Hecht to be on this team next season, no reason.

aceface33

Feb 10, 2006
Herkimer, NY
So you think after that goal last night, Darcy ran down to the bench and had the following conversation with Hecht:

Darcy: Now might be a good time to start tanking.
Hecht: That's my secret, Cap. I'm always tanking.

:laugh: Thank you thank you, I'll be here all night.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
I'd rather they suck with young kids who are learning the ropes rather than old guys who just don't have it anymore.

No thanks.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
No team in NHL wanted him at deadline. None. If he comes back, he'll be looking at a two-way contract. He can make more in Germany/Europe. He's finished in NHL.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I think this will be a September decision after seeing what trades were made for what players.

Even if no trades are made, I don't think Hecht will be seen as a necessary stopgap as he was at the start of last season - especially if:

1) the Sabres are acknowledging/accepting a rebuild and taking their lumps with inexperienced youth (which they weren't ready to do when this season began); and

2) Regier and Rolston remain in place. Rolston certainly doesn't seem enamored with Hecht as Ruff was and Regier -although a staunch advocate of Hecht in the past - seems willing to cut the cord with all of the older players.

That said......

I have no issue with Hecht as a 4C or a 3W next year.

....as the 4th line center, Hecht is no worse than Porter IMO. Both give solid efforts with little offense and average face-off skills. Rolston seems to love Porter so it seems more likely that, if Hecht is re-signed, the Sabres would do it to replace Ellis and/or McCormick in Rochester as insurance against injuries (not that I think Hecht would accept an AHL job - he's probably contemplating retirement or returning to Europe).

CrankyJay

May 17, 2006
Lancaster, NY
....as the 4th line center, Hecht is no worse than Porter IMO. Both give solid efforts with little offense and average face-off skills. Rolston seems to love Porter so it seems more likely that, if Hecht is re-signed, the Sabres would do it to replace Ellis and/or McCormick in Rochester as insurance against injuries (not that I think Hecht would accept an AHL job - he's probably contemplating retirement or returning to Europe).

Porter's looked way better to me than Hecht this year

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I'd be looking to replace Hecht with an inexpensive versatile veteran center that's good on faceoffs. The Sabres can't go into another season with Ott as their only reliable faceoff man.

Hockeymad

Nov 17, 2003
Don't see it. He is too old to take up a roster spot on a rebuild. I'm not sure what all the hate is about. This guy has to be one of the most versatile players in the history of the team. I gotta believe he would admit to being overmatched as a third-line center and above. The only reason he has played there over the last few seasons is because we have had no one else, and he has done a credible job for the most part. However, I think he has done really well for the organization and as much as I hate to see him go, it is time.

Hockeymad

Nov 17, 2003
Porter's looked way better to me than Hecht this year

Porter is the cheap vet we are looking for. I would not be surprised to see him on the roster as a 4th line center next year. I don't think he gets enough credit for the job he has done on this team. It is no accident that the team has played better with him emerging as a center on that 4th line.

clumping platelets

Hecht should move on and open that spot for Burmistrov :nod:

Hellinator

Mar 30, 2013
Buffalo
I would rather have our vets that teach the young guys to have more than 1/2 a hit a game... finish your darn checks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad