Does Paul Maclean get a HC job this year?

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
With all the talk and moves we're seeing recently with head coaches, I'm wondering if Paul Maclean ends up finding a job this summer in NHL.

Everyone thought that back in December when he was released from the Sens he would find a new job quickly, and that he was a victim of bad upper management/ownership.

But the coaching landscape has changed quite a bit since then, and the senators turned their season around enough to the point that the evidence STRONGLY points to Maclean being the culprit.

He was a Jack Adams finalist in his first year. He won the award in his second year. He had the swagger of a 10 year veteran coach. It was awesome quite frankly as a Sens fan.

Then as most of you know, it all came unraveled from there in his next 1-1/2 seasons.

So with all that being said, what are the opinions on Paul Maclean outside of the Ottawa area, and any ideas where he ends up?

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
If it wasn't for Hammond, they wouldn't be in the playoffs... how is this Maclean the culprit?

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Clearly you know nothing about the senators.

Maclean refused to bench the old crappy vets, and refused to rely on the young blood that this team is built on. His constant line juggling had everyone beyond frustrated by the time he was fired.

There is a reason why Mark Stone had 48 points in his last 47 games. Hoffman and Zibanejad also took off once they had a consistent home in the top 6.

Karlsson had an incredible second half of the year. Again all mostly due to the coaching change.

The team plays a completely different style, all due to the coaching change.

Hammond isn't in net anymore, and Ottawa is playing just as strongly as they were before.

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
If it wasn't for Hammond, they wouldn't be in the playoffs... how is this Maclean the culprit?

It doesn't all rest with a 27 year old rookie net minder. It's hard to ignore the contributions of the youngsters on the team that raised their play in the second half (Stone, Zibanejad, etc).

I have to think that Maclean has a role on someone's team. Heck, given the Babcock sweepstakes, I would think that Maclean becomes a suitable runner up prize. But, getting tagged as a poor communicator to young players can be a kiss of death in a league where youth development is key to any well run organization.

I hope he gets another chance. He was a fun character to have in the league.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

If Anderson didn't have a .941 save percentage over 24 games during the shortened season, Maclean arguably wouldn't have won the Jack Adams trophy that year.

Anybody who watched the Sens from game 1 all the way until game 82 saw it wasn't just Hammond that contributed to the turn around. He was a huge part of it, but he wasn't the whole part of it.

Jaromir Jagrbombs

Sep 24, 2010
Ottawa, ON
If Anderson didn't have a .941 save percentage over 24 games during the shortened season, Maclean arguably wouldn't have won the Jack Adams trophy that year.

Anybody who watched the Sens from game 1 all the way until game 82 saw it wasn't just Hammond that contributed to the turn around. He was a huge part of it, but he wasn't the whole part of it.

Yup. Karlsson returning to form after starting the season rather poorly, the emergence of Stone post allstar game, Coach allowing our players to form chemistry from not having different linemates every game, Cameron legitimately having "the best players play", tightening up defensively... all contributed as well, in addition to Hammond.

I definitely think Paulrus should get another HC shot somewhere though. Maybe him getting fired has humbled him a little bit and he's not as stubborn as he was.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

I mean it wasn't like Maclean wasn't getting good goaltending, Anderson was phenomenal, and had to be for the sens even to have a shot at winning a game. Paul Maclean put in place an absolute garbage system that didn't allow players to play hockey. It didn't take long after Maclean got fired to realize, the senators aren't that bad of a team.

The difference was night and day between Cameron and Maclean. It's funny because all Cameron did was essentially the things that made MacLean successful when he first became coach.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Sens apparently get a pick too because it wasnt mutual termination and they are still paying MacLean... At least thats what someone told me

Ttracer*

He will never be NHL head coach again. He is a goof and cant command the locker rooms

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad