Does Owen Sound have 2 1st rounders in 2015?

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I agree that a team that has a player that has been declared defected that they should have a compensatory 1st round draft pick, however it should be the team they trade the player to 1st round draft pick. That team would then would get a 1st round draft pick at the 21st pick or if there more than 1 player that are declared defected the lowest place team would pick 21st and the others 22nd and so on. It is not fair in this process that other teams not involved have lower draft picks because another teams get a compensatory 1st round draft pick.

Its a teriffic rule; more teams should take advantage of it. You can't stop a player from dictating where he goes; but, you can compensate a team that is unable to take the best player available, and 'charge' a team getting top five talent in the 15-20 spot. Did London not get two first rounders last season?

frost king

Dec 11, 2013
So then a team like London who can get kids to bail from other teams, will make that trade all day. How does it help a team lower in the standings? You are forcing teams to trade top choices, for lower draft picks. So the Soo this year convinces Levin to not go to Sudbury, and report only to the Soo. So Sudbury gets the 19/20th pick for the #1 pick in the draft? Where is that fair in the process to Sudbury?

goodtimes

Sep 24, 2013
The whole point of this new/old rule is to leave absolutely no excuses for teams like Owen Sound not to take the best player available, to take the politics out and make the return worthwhile to forego a team trading a 1st round rookie.

Without the compensation pick, teams will be less active to draft kids manipulating the draft, and the 'haves' will continue to see players fall to them. With the system that we have now, there is literally zero excuse for teams not to draft and hold players to accountability.

Take away the comp pick, teams wont do it as much and fans will then complain about a manipulated draft process. Can't have it both ways guys.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
So then a team like London who can get kids to bail from other teams, will make that trade all day. How does it help a team lower in the standings? You are forcing teams to trade top choices, for lower draft picks. So the Soo this year convinces Levin to not go to Sudbury, and report only to the Soo. So Sudbury gets the 19/20th pick for the #1 pick in the draft? Where is that fair in the process to Sudbury?

Frost King,

I think in his scenario the 1st round pick would be in addition to the picks the team acquires in the trade for the player. So its not #1 for #20. It would be #1 for #20, 3-5 2nds, 2-4 3rds. Which in my opinion is fair value. Would be alot better though in my opinion if teams were allowed to deal their 1st rounders in advance. That way Sudbury could get 2-3 first rounders in return for the #1 pick. That would help the teams that cant get players to report out more in the immediate future as well as discourage other teams from potentially influencing a defective player as they will be severely limited in the draft in the future if they do it too often.

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
The rule should be in line with the Q and the W as you can trade firsts and no compensatory picks are given. The McDavid could be bought by the knights last year at a cost of 10 first round future picks! Thats fair

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
The OHL should not allow a team to trade their 1st round pick as part of general trades. I disagree with the trading of 1st round draft picks in that trade window in January. It was created in 1989 because of the Eric Lindros situation. They then added the September trade window to deal with players like that. The January trade window became redundant. It is time to revoke it and just go with the trade window in September with the ability to trade a player that has been declared defected. Other than the defected situation 16 year olds should not be traded. This will force teams to trade older players to obtain star players. For example Sault Ste Marie should have been expected to trade one of their top 17 or 18 year olds for Anthony DeAngelo, instead of Anthony Salinitri. This will make the league more competitive. The contending teams would lose key 17 or 18 year olds, thus making them a little weaker in their contending season and would hang onto the player that they drafted in the 1st round to allow them to be stronger in their rebuilding seasons.

Frost King,

I think in his scenario the 1st round pick would be in addition to the picks the team acquires in the trade for the player. So its not #1 for #20. It would be #1 for #20, 3-5 2nds, 2-4 3rds. Which in my opinion is fair value. Would be alot better though in my opinion if teams were allowed to deal their 1st rounders in advance. That way Sudbury could get 2-3 first rounders in return for the #1 pick. That would help the teams that cant get players to report out more in the immediate future as well as discourage other teams from potentially influencing a defective player as they will be severely limited in the draft in the future if they do it too often.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Don't know where to ask so I'll put it here -
When can GM's make pick for pick trades leading up to the draft? For example the Petes have 3 2nds so they could look to a team with no seconds... For say a 3rd this year and a future 2nd.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
The OHL should not allow a team to trade their 1st round pick as part of general trades. I disagree with the trading of 1st round draft picks in that trade window in January. It was created in 1989 because of the Eric Lindros situation. They then added the September trade window to deal with players like that. The January trade window became redundant. It is time to revoke it and just go with the trade window in September with the ability to trade a player that has been declared defected. Other than the defected situation 16 year olds should not be traded. This will force teams to trade older players to obtain star players. For example Sault Ste Marie should have been expected to trade one of their top 17 or 18 year olds for Anthony DeAngelo, instead of Anthony Salinitri. This will make the league more competitive. The contending teams would lose key 17 or 18 year olds, thus making them a little weaker in their contending season and would hang onto the player that they drafted in the 1st round to allow them to be stronger in their rebuilding seasons.

And if this happened, the OHL rep at the Memorial cup every year will be at a disadvantage. The league won't do anything that would hurt the chances of their rep teams.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
As long as the current rules stay in place, if I'm a "have not" team, I draft the one player I know won't report. Then deal him for multiple 2nds and 3rds and next year I have two 1st rounders.

So next year, I use both 1st round picks to draft two players I know won't report. The deal both of them for multiple 2nd and 3rd rounders which means the following year, I'll have three 1st rounders. My own and two compensation picks.

Then the following year, and each subsequent year, with my three 1st round picks, I draft one player I know will report and two more that I know won't report and deal them for multiple 2nds and 3rds.

Eventually, I'm going to be so rich in assets with high picks and the 1st rounders I do get to report, that I should be able to turn my team into one of the strongest most years.

I'm surprised that teams who have two 1st rounders haven't tried use at least one of the two pick on a guy they know won't report.

SeanLafortune

@SeanLafortune
Jun 13, 2013
www.thescout.ca
As long as the current rules stay in place, if I'm a "have not" team, I draft the one player I know won't report. Then deal him for multiple 2nds and 3rds and next year I have two 1st rounders.

So next year, I use both 1st round picks to draft two players I know won't report. The deal both of them for multiple 2nd and 3rd rounders which means the following year, I'll have three 1st rounders. My own and two compensation picks.

Your only allowed to do it once in consecutive years, loophole was closed over the summer.

As an example, Owen Sound or Niagara cannot flip a player taken in the 1st round and get a compensation pick this year, the compensation pick goes to the end of the second round. No team will do it two years in a row with that rule change, the payoff isn't good enough.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
When can GM's make pick for pick trades leading up to the draft? For example the Petes have 3 2nds so they could look to a team with no seconds... For say a 3rd this year and a future 2nd.

You can bet your azz the Pete's will deal the worst of their 2nds this year for a future 2nd & AT least a 3rd . You have to guess the trade window will open this coming Tuesday. I'd also guess that the Spits are in the queue, especially if they want a goalie in the 2nd round....

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long

Should start Monday or Tuesday. There were picks-for-picks trades executed on the Tuesday of draft week in past years.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
The last 3 out of 4 OHL teams that won the Memorial Cup did not trade their 1st round draft pick from the previous draft in deadline deals. The only team that did was the 2009-2010 Windsor Spitfires who traded Austen Brassard, but they also gave up Austin Watson, who was a key 17 year in the Zach Kassian deal. Giving up Watson did not make them less competitive at the Memorial Cup. Most of the teams that traded their 1st round pick from the previous draft in deadline deals never won an OHL Championship.

And if this happened, the OHL rep at the Memorial cup every year will be at a disadvantage. The league won't do anything that would hurt the chances of their rep teams.

Sidekick

Mar 20, 2013
You can bet your azz the Pete's will deal the worst of their 2nds this year for a future 2nd & AT least a 3rd .

Why would a rival GM make that trade? ...is this years crop of 2nd rounders supposed to be better than average?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Why would a rival GM make that trade? ...is this years crop of 2nd rounders supposed to be better than average?

OwenSound did it last season! If a team likes a kid enough in round two they will bite..

Sidekick

Mar 20, 2013
OwenSound did it last season! If a team likes a kid enough in round two they will bite..

Yeah, you're right. I see that now. Seems like a really bad deal on OS' part. Get the 32 pick (2nd rd.), give up a 2nd AND a 3rd? That's pretty much just giving away a 3rd.. I mean, I guess I see your point about if they really like a kid, but how due you know that kid will be there at 32. I suppose if you are really void of picks. And/or if you foresee yourself (or whoever's pick it is) being really good b/c then its more like trading up in the draft.

...which is what this deal worked up to be as that 2nd rd going to Pet is Oshawa's...so the 32, in exchange for the 48 and the 41st the year after...I dunno, still seems short-sighted to me...I guess it works out b/c Oshawa ended up being really good.

Last edited:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I think OS had an idea they wouldn't sign their first rd pick last year and wanted to get some youth from that draft. a 2nd fills that. With the picks received from London ( again I think New ahead of time) the extra third they gave up is no biggie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad