Does Ovechkin still have a chance at being the GOAT goalscorer?

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
It's obvious that his production went down a bit this year, but I still feel he has a few 50 goal seasons left in him. Does this season show that he possibly can't be the greatest goal-scorer?

Your thoughts.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
It's obvious that his production went down a bit this year, but I still feel he has a few 50 goal seasons left in him. Does this season show that he possibly can't be the greatest goal-scorer?

Your thoughts.

Lol @ a few more 50 goal seasons.

He will be 32 next season. Aging statistics would show you the odds are stacked against him to score 1 more 50 goal season. Could he do it? Sure he's Alex the great but I wouldn't bank on it. A couple more 40 goal seasons would be very impressive in my view. I expect him to hover around that 30-40goal mark for the next 2-3years. After that who knows but most players fall off a cliff around 35.

Reactions: BallardEra

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
People saying he is the best goalscorer of all time makes me cringe and feel old.

He is no Gretzky, no Lemieux, no Bossy, no Richard.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
He still has a chance considering he's already in the discussion. But when evaluating the greatest players ever, we need some time after they retired to get the idea of their entire career.

Ovechkin is probably already in the top-5 with Lemieux, Hull, Gretzky and Richard. With those four guys you can basically argue each and everyone of them as the greatest. Personally, I like Lemieux or Hull at the #1 spot the most. But I won't object the idea of putting Gretzky there or even Richard. I'm still having hard time placing OV ahead of all those four. So I think he's in the same company as them but still in the rear of the pack.

What Ovechkin needs the most right now is to have a defining playoff scoring campaign with few memorable goals there. His regular season resume is already matching up well against anyone.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
People saying he is the best goalscorer of all time makes me cringe and feel old.

He is no Gretzky, no Lemieux, no Bossy, no Richard.

Not again with this insanity. OV is already better goal-scorer than Bossy. It's not even arguable anymore.

Every single thread about goal-scoring involves few people massively overrating Bossy's goal-scoring. For a top-10 scorer of all-time, Bossy is massively overrated.

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
Not again with this insanity. OV is already better goal-scorer than Bossy. It's not even arguable anymore.

Every single thread about goal-scoring involves few people massively overrating Bossy's goal-scoring. For a top-10 scorer of all-time, Bossy is massively overrated.

Sure.. can I ask how old are you? I've watched him play with the National til his last season. Watched all of Ovechkin.

You are entitled to your opinion. Bossy was better goalscorer than Ovechkin, way more clutch. Ovechkin has nothing to compare with three 17 goals post season in a row.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
50 goals in the 80s = 35-40 goals today. Ovechkin scored 50+ multiple times TODAY.

Bossy wasn't even the best goal scorer of his era.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Sure.. can I ask how old are you? I've watched him play with the National til his last season. Watched all of Ovechkin.

You are entitled to your opinion. Bossy was better goalscorer than Ovechkin, way more clutch. Ovechkin has nothing to compare with three 17 goals post season in a row.

You can, but it's not relevant. I can show you a lot of opinions who saw Bossy play and they all say the same thing. OV is already past Bossy. It really is not arguable. The playoff dominance is not enough to offset the massive disparity between regular season dominance. Bossy is no doubt a top-10 goal-scorer in the history. But he's already, undeniably behind OV.

I know people throw this "did you watch him play" comment to sound smart. I'm a huge history buff and love studying players from the early days of the NHL to the modern era of the NHL. Trust me, I know Bossy and his career well enough to make informed opinion. As do many others on this forum. It's been done to death in History section. Ovechkin has passed Bossy in goal-scoring department. There really is not contest anymore between them.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
You can, but it's not relevant. I can show you a lot of opinions who saw Bossy play and they all say the same thing. OV is already past Bossy. It really is not arguable. The playoff dominance is not enough to offset the massive disparity between regular season dominance. Bossy is no doubt a top-10 goal-scorer in the history. But he's already, undeniably behind OV.

I know people throw this "did you watch him play" comment to sound smart. I'm a huge history buff and love studying players from the early days of the NHL to the modern era of the NHL. Trust me, I know Bossy and his career well enough to make informed opinion. As do many others on this forum. It's been done to death in History section. Ovechkin has passed Bossy in goal-scoring department. There really is not contest anymore between them.

If you didn't watch him, you don't have a qualified opinion and nor should anyone take your opinion on the subject seriously. Period. Point blank.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
If you didn't watch him, you don't have a qualified opinion and nor should anyone take your opinion on the subject seriously. Period. Point blank.

Then Richard shouldn't be on any list either. A very small percentage of users (if any at all) on this site were watching Richard in his prime.

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
50 goals in the 80s = 35-40 goals today. Ovechkin scored 50+ multiple times TODAY.

Bossy wasn't even the best goal scorer of his era.

69 goals in 78-79 was good enough for 1st place 10 ahead of second. He was 2nd to Gretzky in his era... boohoo. He had a short career.

Still his best player I've saw playing in the junior major in Laval, was way more dominant on the ice than Ovechkin. Ovechkin has never been a force in the post season.

Kids want always to argue their era is better. Talking about player they haven't watched, trying to prove a point versus people who saw both hundred of times.

0.762 GPG 1st all time. So yeah, keep telling that Ovechkin is a top-5 NHL goalscorer ever. Better than Bossy and Richard who elevated their game to goal per game in playoff.

I'll take my Bossy/Richard in playoff, keep 41 goals in 84 games GOAT goalscorer in playoff.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
You're the one who has to be joking if you believe that somehow being a supposed student of the game makes your opinion as valid as someone who was a "student of the game" and actually watched and lived it. Yeesh. You should apologize to him for being an arrogant, know it all, jerk, but we all know that is above your capabilities as well.

I'm fine if someone thinks we can only rank players we saw ourselves. It's a narrow and misleading way to look at the history, but I can understand it. But the poster himself included Richard. If that's the premise we work with, only give opinions on players you saw yourself then adding Richard to the equation is unacceptable.

Can't have it both ways.

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011

You love to "study" history buff, doesnt change the fact that you have absolutely no idea of the plays he made, the clutch goals he score, the timing, the winning drive, those hands. You have none of that.

Show me lot of opinion of Bossy behind Ovechkin... Please provide me those opinion, I'm interested, I think you make up stuff.

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
You're joking, right?

He is right, read my post above. You have absolutely no memory in your heads, of plays he made to win a game. Goals he scored, passes, just a good rush and deke that didn't end in a goal, those brawls, the intensity.

You read lines on a screen...

You cannot tell the difference between Bossy and Ovechkin.

I haven't seen Richard play, so that makes me an hypocrite to include him. True. Where I'm from, he is just bigger than hockey.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Sans Gretzky and Mario, he's right there with Hull as the best goalscorer of all times. Ahead of Bossy and Richard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad