Does Ottawa have the best contracts in the league ?

Sens the best or nah?

• No Sens arent even in the top3

Votes: 47 67.1%
  • No My team has better contracts (pls say which team in comments)

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Yes but (insert your feelings here)

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Could be but couldve had so much better if they were owned by a hollywood star

Votes: 10 14.3%

• Total voters

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It's certainly great but it's also painful to imagine what could have been if this team wasn't saddened by the worst trifecta in the league for a long time (Melnyk/Dorion/DJ)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ultimately any evaluation of contract value has to take into account overall effectiveness and this is a team that has missed the playoffs for six seasons.

Good potential but it’s still that until these contracts collectively compete and consistently so.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoreGore

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Ya the best core in the league can't make the playoffs.

I do like what they have cookin though.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Promising for sure but c'mon you need to make playoffs first. Norris, Batherson, Sanderson and Chabot are big questions and Korpisalo? I like the player but he hasn't proved himself as #1 yet

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
As of today? Not even close. In ~3 years from now? Potentially, but there's a few other good up and coming teams in a similar spot. Could end up being any of New Jersey, Buffalo, or Ottawa that ends up getting that title.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Not really. I think Chabot is overpaid. Sanderson we don't know yet, it could be a steal, could be an overpay or fair value, just way too early to tell.

Stutzle is on a steal of a contract as is Tkachuk. Chychrun at 4.6 is phenomenal value but he's obviously getting a raise.

I would say they are definitely top 10, maybe top 5 in terms of value per dollar spent on their core. But Sanderson to me is a massive question mark, and I'm not a fan of the Chabot contract. It's not horrible, but it is an overpay.

Reactions: Voight

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Yes but I admit I'm a Homer, and I'm looking beyond just this season. And if not the Sens, then who?

As much as you'd like to admit it or not, the Sens are building their team like we all do in NHL Be A GM mode.

Sign your young star players with ELITE potential the second you can before they realize how good they are and take you for a ride to the bank.

Sign a few older FA stars like Giroux and Tarasenko to short term deals. Trade a first and a 2nd for a 1st pairing Dman (Chychrun) on a sweetheart 2.5yr deal. Take the highest rated FA goalie on the market, and hope for the best and some more growth from the kids with the high potential ratings.

But in all seriousness, in 2-3 years from now the Sens could be saving 10 million on the same core group of players as a collective whole versus their current market value.

I don't think Stutzle is worth less than Mitch Marner, for one thing. That's 2-3m today, how much bigger is that number after Mitchies next deal? I like Clauge Giroux more than John Tavares, most might not agree, but he's making like 5m per year less LOL.

I look around at teams like Buffalo, NJ, Det, ect - all talented up and coming teams like the Sens. But they also could have some major headaches in a few seasons when contracts are due for the new young guns - like Power, Dahlin, Hughes, Mercer, Nemec, Quinn, ect and contracts like Skinners, Palat Hamilton are on the books.

And who are they paying in Net???

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
They’re up there with Devils and Sabres in terms of future imo.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
They’re up there with Devils and Sabres in terms of future imo.

The only reason why I'll disagree with that is because we are talking about contracts in specific, and not their flexibility today.

NJ and Buffalo both have major players still left to sign long term in Dahlin, Power, Mercer, Hughes, Nemec, Quinn, ect. And have huge long term commitments still to guys like Hamilton, Skinner, Palat - who will not continue to have career seasons later into their 30s.

Point being is that they technically still have to sign a large part of their young cores, and some maneuvering might be required to make it all work.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
No. They havent even been close to the playoffs.
I personally think Colorado and New Jersey have better cores locked up to better deals. But again 0 context coming from you so a pretty bad take in general. They were 6 points out last year. Sanderson was a rookie Stutzle on his elc. Played 7 goalies and Norris was injured all season. Take a walk. The sens hatred you spew from thread to thread is sad.

Reactions: xigon

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
They are capped out struggling to re-sign Pinto and still not a surefire playoff team. Lol come on.
You're consistent. In every sens thread but don't know the details.

Back to the original thread and poll options. There isn't one that fits my critique so I didn't vote. I think they're third but have alot to prove. Only bad contract is Joseph. I have seen what Chabot is capable of playing to his deal ive seen it. But if the version they get is Chabot of last year it's not a good contract. Firmly believe defensment don't permanently regress at 26. I think he's been battling injuries and maybe too much security for a 26 year old making 8 sheets a year. But with the internal competition and hopefully his health he can get back on track.

Last edited:

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
The only reason why I'll disagree with that is because we are talking about contracts in specific, and not their flexibility today.

NJ and Buffalo both have major players still left to sign long term in Dahlin, Power, Mercer, Hughes, Nemec, Quinn, ect. And have huge long term commitments still to guys like Hamilton, Skinner, Palat - who will not continue to have career seasons later into their 30s.

Point being is that they technically still have to sign a large part of their young cores, and some maneuvering might be required to make it all work.
Buffalo will have plenty of space with Okposo, Girgensson, Olaffson and Johnson contracts ending after this season and only need to sign Power, Krebs, Mittelstadt and Dahlin. Quinn still has 2 years of ELC left. They already got ~8,5M in space.

Hughes and Nemec will be on their ELC for the next 2 and 3 years.

They are amongst the best contracts because they’ve got their current core signed for good prices so that they can re-sign all their top prospects.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Buffalo will have plenty of space with Okposo, Girgensson, Olaffson and Johnson contracts ending after this season and only need to sign Power, Krebs, Mittelstadt and Dahlin. Quinn still has 2 years of ELC left. They already got ~8,5M in space.

Hughes and Nemec will be on their ELC for the next 2 and 3 years.

They are amongst the best contracts because they’ve got their current core signed for good prices so that they can re-sign all their top prospects.

I also don’t really see the issue with Dougie. He’s worth the 9 and with the cap rising the % goes down. The last year of the deal he’ll be 34. I think he could age similarly to Burns who was still elite through 33. Maybe the last year is a bit of an issue but other than that I think it’s fine.

Palat’s the only bad deal we have. My hope is he’s moved in 2 summers when Luke is up. Dump him with a future 2nd like the Isles just did for 2 years of Bailey. Then with his 6 mil gone and and the cap rising it’ll more than cover Luke’s deal. Palat is then replaced on that 3rd line by Gritsyuk coming over for 25-26 on an ELC. They also mentioned Mercer’s new deal as presenting some issues and it won’t. We have 2.325 in dead cap coming off the books and the cap’s projected to rise 4 mil. That’s 6.325 right there. Then his current 894k. We could essentially give him Nico’s deal at 7.25 and it presents no issues. I also don’t think Mercer’s deal ends up being that much and instead is more like Hagel’s 6.5. Nemec’s new deal is 3/4 years away so who knows what things look like by then but I also just don’t see how it ends up being a real issue.

There’s no argument for the Sens over the Devils.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Theyre certainly up there, but I think they need one of their guys to break out into a truly league wide top star.

Stutzle is pretty close to that level, but not quite (for example) at Jack Hughes' level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad