Does Nashville technically have four #1 D?

SSJ3 Lunar

WWE made me jaded
Nov 2, 2010
Atlanta
Meaning they all can't be number 1 D on Nashville or all on the first pairing but if they were on any other team would they? I seem to think any of our top 4 could take a top pairing spot on any other team.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
They have 2, arguably 3 if you count the top 31 defensemen in the league as #1s.

SSJ3 Lunar

WWE made me jaded
Nov 2, 2010
Atlanta
Obviously Subban and Josi. They're two top 10 d-men.

Subban has looked like the worst between Josi, him, and Ekholm. He does put up points, but he also has very bad moments like he did tonight. We haven't seen Ellis this year so I can't say anything about that. Also Subban is playing with Emelin sooooo...

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Matt Irwin was once 1D caliber in the AHL. Guy just can't get his shot through to the net at the NHL level.

SSJ3 Lunar

WWE made me jaded
Nov 2, 2010
Atlanta
Matt Irwin was once 1D caliber in the AHL. Guy just can't get his shot through to the net at the NHL level.
He hasn't been that bad really. Emelin and Subban have been the worst pairing so far that I have seen. I think its partially because when Subban is on he looks amazing, but when he messes up it looks horrendous and almost always leads to a goal or a scoring opportunity.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Ekholm is playing like a 1D this season, but he wasn't quite on that level before whether points, QoC, etc. speaking. Ellis really isn't a 1D imho, and just as Ekholm has been a 1D thus far, Subban at times doesn't look like a 1D this season. Besides Nashville's shot suppression metrics aren't very good this season and I really don't think Ellis makes that much of a difference especially as Nashville suffers in shot suppression when Ellis on the ice versus when he's not.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
And Ellis is better than Ekholm in offense, maybe slightly less in defense.

Slightly? One is an elite defensive Dman, has the best shot suppression metrics overall in the league since 2014-2015 and top 10 against elite comp. One is a relatively poor shot suppression player that has a great shot and hockey wisdom, but isn't particularly good elsewhere.

SSJ3 Lunar

WWE made me jaded
Nov 2, 2010
Atlanta
Ekholm is playing like a 1D this season, but he wasn't quite on that level before whether points, QoC, etc. speaking. Ellis really isn't a 1D imho, and just as Ekholm has been a 1D thus far, Subban at times doesn't look like a 1D this season. Besides Nashville's shot suppression metrics aren't very good this season and I really don't think Ellis makes that much of a difference especially as Nashville suffers in shot suppression when Ellis on the ice versus when he's not.

Do you think Ekholm playing like a #1 D this season is more because he doesn't have to worry about Subban and the fact he is paired with Josi?

Also the point was for other teams to look at their top pairing and to see if any of Nashville's top four wouldn't crack it in there.

SSJ3 Lunar

WWE made me jaded
Nov 2, 2010
Atlanta
Slightly? One is an elite defensive Dman, has the best shot suppression metrics overall in the league since 2014-2015 and top 10 against elite comp. One is a relatively poor shot suppression player that has a great shot and hockey wisdom, but isn't particularly good elsewhere.
Well, we haven't seen Ellis play this season and a lot of the Preds fans feel like Ellis should have been Captain (not me, as Josi was the clear choice for me) but in the playoffs I usually saw Ellis blocking so many shots in our zone like a beast. Dude would take multiple ones back to back. I'm not discounting Ekholm as I feel almost everyone that doesn't follow the Pred's underrates him.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Do you think Ekholm playing like a #1 D this season is more because he doesn't have to worry about Subban and the fact he is paired with Josi?

Also the point was for other teams to look at their top pairing and to see if any of Nashville's top four wouldn't crack it in there.

Let's just use Central teams:

St. Louis: Ekholm and Josi absolutely would, Subban and Ellis wouldn't overtake Pietrangelo or Parayko. Parayko is better than Ellis entirely, and Subban at his worst is far worse than Pietro at his worst. So 2D would be top pairing.
Chicago: I still would take Keith over Josi and Ekholm, especially given the insane matchups and the terrible QoT Keith has to take, but on the right side, there is zero competition that I'd take probably even Yannick Weber over all. So 1D would be top pairing, but either one of the 4Dman can be a top pairing D if they managed to play right side.
Winnipeg: Josi and Ekholm yes easily. Subban I guess as well, but Trouba is more consistent. Ellis nope. So 2/3 out of 4.
Colorado: Um this shouldn't be a question, although I think it's somewhat debatable if Ellis is better than Johnson at Johnson's best (And this is taking consideration of Ellis' best as well).
Minnesota: Subban would over take Spurgeon and that's about it. So 1/4
Dallas: The way Klingberg is playing I'd take him over Subban. However, Josi and Ekholm is far superior to whomever they use on their LHD. So 2/4.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Well, we haven't seen Ellis play this season and a lot of the Preds fans feel like Ellis should have been Captain (not me, as Josi was the clear choice for me) but in the playoffs I usually saw Ellis blocking so many shots in our zone like a beast. Dude would take multiple ones back to back. I'm not discounting Ekholm as I feel almost everyone that doesn't follow the Pred's underrates him.

Ellis was constantly trapped in his zone sometimes manhandled and couldn't do much so he resorted to blocking shots. Ekholm-Subban completely shutdown Toews, Tarasenko, and Getzlaf's line. Josi-Ellis was good but they weren't great at shutting down other lines, and they were not even the go to players defensively. Ellis had an unsustainable series against the Blues, where Ekholm actually didn't play so well. Otherwise Ekholm was far better than Ellis throughout the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad