Does Nail Yakupov have more to give?

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Not in the NHL - he's toast. Maybe he'll go light up the KHL.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Thing is you can only call it "potential" for so long, and you don't want to perpetually be the guy whose biggest talking point is all the "untapped potential" he has. At some point, that potential has to either be realized or you have to come to grips that it just won't happen consistently and that he'll be, at best, a depth player.

Yea, well he's what, 23? Most guys that age haven't even played a full season in the NHL at that age.

phxblue

Dec 17, 2015
He could end up signing with Vegas, playing with Shipachyov and making everyone look stupid for doubting him. Could being the key word. He could also go to the KHL and play well there. But Im pretty sure he brought his family to north america so that may not happen.

I think the best possible option for him would be to play a season in the AHL to re-learn the game with no pressure and easy opponents.

Sometimes beating on lesser opponents is the best thing that can happen for athletes to allow them to gain timing, confidence, and work on their game.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
Love to see him go to Vegas now. Just put a Russian line together and let Dadonov and Ship brig him up

phxblue

Dec 17, 2015
Love to see him go to Vegas now. Just put a Russian line together and let Dadonov and Ship brig him up

That would be the most exciting expansion team line that I can remember for opening year. Would def be a way to put buts in seats.

If I were the Vegas GM I would go after:

Shipachyov (done)
Dadonov
Yakupov
Kovalchuk
Okulov
Kovar
Moyzakin
As many NHL quality KHLers/Euro Leaugers as possible

And make as many deals with the other teams as possible to take draft picks instead of roster players

That would give Vegas an exciting team and as many prospects to build their prospect pool with as possible.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I think he can do pretty decent on the Hawks or Rangers. Both seem to be pretty solid at turning careers around

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
He needs to stop believing every coach he has is the problem and that he's not even partially responsible for how his career has gone. He's never felt the need to work on areas he's weak in. When he played in Edmonton we always heard he was a rink rat, that was one of the reasons I defended him for years. It was surprising when Mclellan kicked him off the ice during a practice towards the end of his final season here. That's when we found out he only likes working on the skills he's good at and refuses to do anything else. That's why he never improves. If he has an epiphany and changes his attitude maybe he can salvage an NHL career. If he continues to believe it's the coaches fault then he won't. That list of coaches is a lot longer than Eakins too.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
been watching him at times on HNIC and when the Canucks faced him.

Dude is an outright perimeter player. Over the years, he was not able to adjust to the leauge and teams were easily able to adjust to him instead, finding ways to shut him down, and close him out rather quite easily.

His speed is not very fast, and he was such a perimeter player, at one point i know, he was not going to be a factor tonight against the Canucks. He is literally scared to attack the net, and that really slowed HIS game down, when a player hesitates like that are shy's away from hard physical play. I am not joking.

"Maybe Vancouver can give him a chance"

at this point Vancouver is at a rebuilding stage. Ice time quite possibility will be distributed to Boeser, Baertchi, Virtanen, Goldobin for development purposes, Daniel Sedin and L Erickson are still here.
the top 6 spots are already taken. Yakupov is not a bottom line player.

There is no way Vancouver will take him especially being able to witness what a terrible player he is, his best bet to stick around in the NHL is maybe Vegas.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
How has he been so far for Colorado? Seems like his numbers are decent. . .
so long as he isnt asked to do too much, and he gets teh chance to shoot, he does great. when he tries to do more is what gets him in trouble. I will say this though, he certainly looks like his give a shit meter is always very high. always seems to be trying hard

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
so long as he isnt asked to do too much, and he gets teh chance to shoot, he does great. when he tries to do more is what gets him in trouble. I will say this though, he certainly looks like his give a **** meter is always very high. always seems to be trying hard

Yea he's always seemed to have a good motor. Glad to hear he is finding a bit of success. He's on pace for 26g 37p playing only 12:26 a night. That's pretty solid production, especially considering he's on a new team.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Ive watched nearly every game with him and he cannot be THE guy. But if you can put someone on his line to distract the defense leaving Yak open to rip one timers, then he has 30 goal potential easily. I dont think any of his NHL coaches so far have had the patience to use him correctly. They simply throw him on the 3rd line/2nd PP and hope for the best. If he had linemates skilled enough to leave him alone on the half wall to rip one timers like Ovechkin and Stamkos have done throughout their careers, I see no reason why he cant flourish.

But I also realize the 1OA pick shouldnt have the above description attached to him.

Jannik Hansen

Apr 16, 2016
Ive watched nearly every game with him and he cannot be THE guy. But if you can put someone on his line to distract the defense leaving Yak open to rip one timers, then he has 30 goal potential easily. I dont think any of his NHL coaches so far have had the patience to use him correctly. They simply throw him on the 3rd line/2nd PP and hope for the best. If he had linemates skilled enough to leave him alone on the half wall to rip one timers like Ovechkin and Stamkos have done throughout their careers, I see no reason why he cant flourish.

But I also realize the 1OA pick shouldnt have the above description attached to him.

He doesn’t contribute enough in other aspects of the game for him to be gifted a spot with better skilled linemates.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Yea he's always seemed to have a good motor. Glad to hear he is finding a bit of success. He's on pace for 26g 37p playing only 12:26 a night. That's pretty solid production, especially considering he's on a new team.

He had a hot start with 5 pts (3g 2a) in 4 games. Then 5 pts (4g 1a) in the last 18.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
so long as he isnt asked to do too much, and he gets teh chance to shoot, he does great. when he tries to do more is what gets him in trouble. I will say this though, he certainly looks like his give a **** meter is always very high. always seems to be trying hard

His defensive game is horrible IMO and to me I don't know why Bednar still uses him in the PP yes he has a good shot but is probably the worst at stick handling and creating plays. I totally agree with everything Semyon Says hahah !

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I really liked the kid in his short stint with STL. Can't really figure out what's wrong with him on the ice though. By all accounts he has no personality issues whatsoever. Every time he's on the ice he works his ass off along with training as well. He just doesn't have it. Wish him the best but I really think it would be best for him to mature in the KHL for a couple of years and possibly give t another go down the road if someone will give him a shot.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
He was amazing in his rookie season, Krueger really brought out the best in him.

Que passo?

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
He just doesn't know what to do when his skates hit the ice. It's unfortunate because there is so much talent there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad