Does McGregor have anything against Mayweather?

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
I like to see conversation about this. Conor is probably the best striker ever seen in the MMA and Floyd Mayweather could be best at Boxing. Conor talks big and his mouth has been biggest reason why so many people think this is a good match and he really has a chance.

If we take a look at the facts about Floyd opponents, there has been better counter-striker, guys who has better knowledge about distance than Conor and especially guys who have more speed and power than Conor so which are really Conor chances? Maybe he looks for that one big shot, but even if he lands one it isn't enough to finish Floyd. And when he looks for those shots, Floyd will counter the **** out of him. Very surprised if he is able to make it to the third round.

Whole match is pretty ridiculous for me. If we talk about worlds best Rugby team and compare their chances against New York Giants everyone will know how it will end. But if the worlds best Rugby team has enough time in media, to tell people that they are going to win, always comes someone who believes them. That's what Conor has done here.

Go Habs Go

May 23, 2002
Mississauga
www.fanhome.com
This is a farce and an embarrassment to boxing and MMA. Connor is going to destroy his name and hurt the sport of mma for a big pay day.

And if somehow Mayweather falls victim, some sort of act of god... well then wouldn't it just make him the dumbest fighter in the history of boxing? Ruins boxing for his own ego.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
He has nothing for Mayweather and it's a waste of time that it's even happening. That's about the extent I feel like discussing it until the fight is actually signed.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Agreed, but somehow it's pretty enjoyable experience to see McGregor getting his ass whooped. I'm not surprised was maybe the best MMA moment last year.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
No.

Floyd has a better chance in MMA than Connor has in boxing. Floyd would absolutely walk all over him, and I'm saying that as a huge Connor fan.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
No.

Floyd has a better chance in MMA than Connor has in boxing. Floyd would absolutely walk all over him, and I'm saying that as a huge Connor fan.

I don't think either stand a chance in the other's respective field. The "closest" would be kick boxing. And even then I think Connor would light Mayweather up with kicks.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Stopped reading right there.

But to answer your question, Conor won't be able to touch Floyd. So that's a no.

So can you give your option who is better? Anderson Silva? No way. Conor has much deeper knowledge about distance and timing than everyone else who has been on UFC, and those are very big composer of landing strikes. I don't really like Conor, i will enjoy very much everytime he gets his ass whooped, but i can still admit that he is best striker ever seen in the UFC. He knocked out the king of featherweight by one ****ing punch.

It looks like, people has knowledge about sport they follow in this MMA forum. This is probably first conversation, where i don't see anyone gave Conor any chances :)

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
An athletic commission worth the "athletic" part of the name would not sanction this fight. A guy who's 0-0 as a boxer going against one of the best of all time.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
An athletic commission worth the "athletic" part of the name would not sanction this fight. A guy who's 0-0 as a boxer going against one of the best of all time.

Agreed entirely. I don't really know how Conor has made so many people believe in his win? He doesn't give any facts at interviews, he just runs his mouth, but people still believes him. I'm also little bit scared about Conor health after the fight. Other guy is best ever, so it's going to be combo after combo at some point when Conor gets tired. Even i don't like him as a person, i really like to see him at octagon also in future, because it's usually pretty entertaining.

Of course Professor from AND1 could say that he will be MVP of NBA finals, but how many people would believe him? I think not many. Or how many people believe that world best rugby team would win in Superbowl, even if they show big confidence in press conference? I can tell it's not even close to a number of people that believe in Conor.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
So can you give your option who is better? Anderson Silva? No way. Conor has much deeper knowledge about distance and timing than everyone else who has been on UFC, and those are very big composer of landing strikes. I don't really like Conor, i will enjoy very much everytime he gets his ass whooped, but i can still admit that he is best striker ever seen in the UFC. He knocked out the king of featherweight by one ****ing punch.

It looks like, people has knowledge about sport they follow in this MMA forum. This is probably first conversation, where i don't see anyone gave Conor any chances :)

Anderson Silva is the best striker in UFC history, and it's really not all that close. Don't let the current version of him fool you.

I actually think Conor is higher than most people realize, he would be in the mix with a bunch of others a tier below Silva.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI

y8Ea8jB.jpg

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Maybe he was in same category than Conor but i can't see him being better and i don't even like Conor.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
I don't see Silva being a great traditional boxer.
I don't see Conor being one either - his stance, hands, approach would all have to change. He even had to run from Diaz multiple times to "win".
I think aldo would be a better boxer, as a crossover fighter, but doesn't have the name recognition to do so.

Straight boxer, of all MMA fighters is going to be a HW, based on how they fight in MMA. Overeem was a decorated kickboxer and would probably be the best, along with other top guys like Stipe and JDS. Obviously money ain't fighting anyone much bigger (I even think Conor is too big for his ideal opponent)

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't see Silva being a great traditional boxer.
I don't see Conor being one either - his stance, hands, approach would all have to change. He even had to run from Diaz multiple times to "win".
I think aldo would be a better boxer, as a crossover fighter, but doesn't have the name recognition to do so.

Straight boxer, of all MMA fighters is going to be a HW, based on how they fight in MMA. Overeem was a decorated kickboxer and would probably be the best, along with other top guys like Stipe and JDS. Obviously money ain't fighting anyone much bigger (I even think Conor is too big for his ideal opponent)

It was stated that Conor was the best striker, not traditional boxer.

Aldo is not a great traditional boxer, it is more his kick-boxing that opens things up for the rest of his game and allows him to keep range.

The guy to me who jumps out that looks like an actual boxer is Joe Duffy. Which makes sense, since he has a boxing background. But his boxing is miles ahead of most guys in the UFC.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Aldo got knocked out by Conor by having ****** boxing and overextending with his chin out.

No. boxing is not MMA

Aldo would have a much easier transition into boxing, based on his stance and how he can fight.
He got KOed in a different sport. Doesn't translate to boxing.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
MMA-standard wise, Aldo has great boxing. his footwork and defense are by all means top-notch, relative to MMA

Best striker is for me Aldo. Just in terms of variety of the things he's able to do and excel on the feet. Most well rounded striker.

Connor is the most dangerous striker as a puncher.

Last edited:

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
I don't know how boxing came to the conversation, but if we really turn the conversation from best striker to best boxer my answer is JJ. Her hands are so smooth and clinical.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I think the obvious compromise is to have them box using MMA gloves

Does Conor have a shot then?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad