Does McDavid reach 100 points?

Does McDavid reach 100 points?

• Total voters

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
No chance, only two games against Ottawa left.

I mean sure, he has 16 points in 7 games against Ottawa. He also has 14 in 6 games vs CGY, 11 in 5 games vs WPG. He's beating up on most teams especially when those games are played in Edmonton. And yes the North division has higher scoring games but didn't McDavid have 50 points in the same amount of games this year and last. Really the only thing that can stop him is fatigue.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I mean sure, he has 16 points in 7 games against Ottawa. He also has 14 in 6 games vs CGY, 11 in 5 games vs WPG. He's beating up on most teams especially when those games are played in Edmonton. And yes the North division has higher scoring games but didn't McDavid have 50 points in the same amount of games this year and last. Really the only thing that can stop him is fatigue.

The guy you quoted once said Pettersson> McDavid. He just doesn’t think highly of McDavid for whatever reason. I personally think it’s because he’s Canadian.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I doubt he gets to 100. If he can get to the mid to late 90s though that would be damn impressive, would probably be the most impressive individual year since Jagr back in the year he won his Hart.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Best offensive player in the league hands down. Can't see anyone else winning the scoring title for quite a few yrs.

If he stays healthy 8-10 years with no one in sight.

he is once in a half century type talent.

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
40 points in the next 22 games is totally realistic considering he usually heats up in the last few games of the season.

It's in the pocket

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Man hitting 100 would be absolutely insane. He has been playing the best hockey of his career and arguably the best hockey we've seen in 2 decades, and he still needs to raise his points/game in order to hit 100.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Man hitting 100 would be absolutely insane. He has been playing the best hockey of his career and arguably the best hockey we've seen in 2 decades, and he still needs to raise his points/game in order to hit 100.

Crosby in 2010-11 had a 25 game point streak with 26 goals and 50 points.

Crosby in 2006-07 had a 42 game stretch with 74 points, which is a rate of 1.76 points per game, exactly what McDavid is scoring at right now. I think overall McDavid is better than 19 year old Sid without question, but 23 year old Sid before the concussion is debatable.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Crosby in 2010-11 had a 25 game point streak with 26 goals and 50 points.

Crosby in 2006-07 had a 42 game stretch with 74 points, which is a rate of 1.76 points per game, exactly what McDavid is scoring at right now. I think overall McDavid is better than 19 year old Sid without question, but 23 year old Sid before the concussion is debatable.
No doubt that the 25 game stretch from Crosby is unbelievable but 25 games is really selective sample size where as we are comparing it to McDavid's full year- which includes his hot and cold streaks. It's not fair to all the players who stayed healthy and actually put up the point totals to assume Crosby would have kept that 2 PPG game pace- because there was a 99% chance he wouldn't have. Everyone slows down as the year goes along. But you're right, its absolutely debatable and thats what we are doing!

Kane had a 26 game point streak that he got over 40 points on, in 2016 when he swept the Awards, but I don't think anyone would call that stretch the best hockey they've ever seen.

If McDavid actually gets 100 points in 56 games that's long enough of dominance that I think you can say that's a height no one has reached since probably Lemieux.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
First back to back 97 point season since the magic man.

If McDavid reaches 97 points (which is unlikely, but not impossible), that'll be his fifth year in a row doing that.

That makes for a pretty good trivia question - who was the last player to score 97+ points five years in a row?

Hint - it's not Gretzky or Lemieux. Or Jagr, Crosby or Ovechkin. Or Sakic, Yzerman, Forsberg, Malkin, Kane, Thornton, Lindros, or Selanne.

Reactions: authentic

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
If McDavid reaches 97 points (which is unlikely, but not impossible), that'll be his fifth year in a row doing that.

That makes for a pretty good trivia question - who was the last player to score 97+ points five years in a row?

Hint - it's not Gretzky or Lemieux. Or Jagr, Crosby or Ovechkin. Or Sakic, Yzerman, Forsberg, Malkin, Kane, Thornton, Lindros, or Selanne.

I give up? Driving me nuts tho. Lol

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
No doubt that the 25 game stretch from Crosby is unbelievable but 25 games is really selective sample size where as we are comparing it to McDavid's full year- which includes his hot and cold streaks. It's not fair to all the players who stayed healthy and actually put up the point totals to assume Crosby would have kept that 2 PPG game pace- because there was a 99% chance he wouldn't have. Everyone slows down as the year goes along. But you're right, its absolutely debatable and thats what we are doing!

Kane had a 26 game point streak that he got over 40 points on, in 2016 when he swept the Awards, but I don't think anyone would call that stretch the best hockey they've ever seen.

If McDavid actually gets 100 points in 56 games that's long enough of dominance that I think you can say that's a height no one has reached since probably Lemieux.

Of course Crosby wouldn't maintain it, he didn't even come close to maintaining it in 41 games the year he had the streak. McDavid has only played 34 games though so that's not much more of a sample either and I don't believe he'll hit 100 anyway but it's possible. Also, Lemieux at 37 in 2002-03 had 63 points in his first 34 games in a lower scoring season. Once again though McDavid is a better player than 37 year old Lemieux, so all in all I think he has a chance. Kane only had 39 points during that streak actually so he's not in the discussion but Kucherov from a few seasons ago had 51 in 23.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Brett Hull.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad