Does Marchand get suspended for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Got five for interference, but with his history, I think he might get suspended for this.

EDIT: Thought he got a game too but was just a five minute major.

Last edited:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Luckily for him the end result wasn't that bad. But the intent was there to injure and that could've ended up a lot worse than it did.

I'd hope they give him an extra game, but they might think the 5 + misconduct is enough for that one.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
Luckily for him the end result wasn't that bad. But the intent was there to injure and that could've ended up a lot worse than it did.

I'd hope they give him an extra game, but they might think the 5 + misconduct is enough for that one.

These things go sideways because the NHL doesn't take potential injury into account for some reason, there's no excuse for his forearm to be up there.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
That's a dirty hit.

It's retaliatory, the puck's long gone, Tavares never sees it coming, and it's a glove/stick shot with the head as the primary point of contact.

He should miss a couple games.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
2 games for hitting. Violently. That is not a good hockey hit. Penalties and suspensions. Also fines.

What does he think this is? Competitive sport??? Entertainment?!!?? Enough of this.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
These things go sideways because the NHL doesn't take potential injury into account for some reason, there's no excuse for his forearm to be up there.

I'm not disagreeing with you.

But if Marchand made more malicious contact and Tavares ended up injured, he'd likely see a hefty suspension. That had the potential to go sideways with Marchand coming up high, late, and from the blindside.

But lucky for Marchand, it didn't. I could see him getting a small suspension to set an example, but I don't think he gets anything crazy out of this.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
He clearly targeted Tavares head the whole way. Suspension worthy? Idk maybe a fine. He did get a misconduct.

I think what Backes did was way more dirty and dangerous. He head butted Ladd. Launched his helmet right into his chin. That was bad.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
i mean tavares got height on him and he went out of his way and made effort to make contact with his head, the end result wasnt bad though

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The hit itself is borderline. I might even call it "one of those unfortunate plays" but considering it's Marchand there needs to be a zero tolerance policy with him. This guy has had more chances to clean up his act than someone going through relapses.

Reactions: MB11

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
He might. I don't think the hit was bad, wasn't trying to make contact with the head (but was still high).

What could bite him was intent. He came halfway across the ice and he has the reputation and history to be suspended for this, while most other players wouldn't. Maybe a game but I don't think he will.

Reactions: MB11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad