Does Laine have one of the best shots?

User9992

Feb 27, 2016
Does Laine have one of the best shots at his age?

laineboard.jpg

Patrik Laine is 6'4 tall powerful LW sniper from Finland. His favourite player growing up was Alex Ovechkin.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I thought that was basically the whole reason he went 2nd. Hasn't he been non-stop compared to Ovechkin since before the draft?

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
I mean there is no doubt the kid can tee it up.

He has the potential to be amongst the best in the world... but he doesnt have a pediagree yet to say he is top 5 lets say

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I thought that was basically the whole reason he went 2nd. Hasn't he been non-stop compared to Ovechkin since before the draft?

Right now, I'd put every other skill in his game at average to slightly above average in the NHL.

His shot is on another level, probably the only reason he's on the Jets right now, as opposed to developing a bit more. The pure offense he can provide out of nowhere is astounding.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He has a better shot than 99% of the league. No question. Wrister and one timer are already not far from the best.

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
His shot is great, both wrister and slapper.

His first goal was pretty good in terms of velocity, but it was also screened. Also, if he keeps putting them in from that spot, I think teams will try to shut it down more and he will have to develop his game to find more things to exploit.

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
One thing I'm a bit concerned about is that cross-ice pass we saw on the Perreault goal. He did that a lot in the IIHF tournament iirc and it started getting intercepted. It annoyed me because he tried it multiple times. With his IQ for positioning himself etc, he should know better.

Sounds like I'm trashing the guy, but I literally hope for the best. :)

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
i hope he will be good like the ones of the best. ofcourse he needs to show more that one goal. thats actually a good indicator for a good shot...just count his career goals.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Better than Tarasenko

He has a better arsenal since he utilizes a slap shot, but as far as wrist shot is concerned. Tarasenko doesn't even pull the puck back before releasing it and it still has the velocity of some players slap shot

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Tarasenko's wrister is harder than Laine's best slap shot. But it will change when Laine gets his man strength. Tarasenko wasn't what he is today at Laine's age.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He has a better arsenal since he utilizes a slap shot, but as far as wrist shot is concerned. Tarasenko doesn't even pull the puck back before releasing it and it still has the velocity of some players slap shot

Yeah that's what makes his the best. Ovechkin seems like his wrister isn't quite what it was, it probably had more velocity on it than anyone else. Semin and Sakic had maybe the best wrist shots I've ever seen all things considered, though Tarasenko's could possibly be even better actually. For all types of shots I think Laine is right there with anyone right now, nevermind 3-4 years down the road. He's going to be an elite goal scorer for sure.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Slapshot - Absolutely among the best in the league, no questions asked.

Wrist shot - not quite. Tarasenko has the best wrister in the league IMO.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yeah that's what makes his the best. Ovechkin seems like his wrister isn't quite what it was, it probably had more velocity on it than anyone else. Semin and Sakic had maybe the best wrist shots I've ever seen all things considered, though Tarasenko's could possibly be even better actually. For all types of shots I think Laine is right there with anyone right now, nevermind 3-4 years down the road. He's going to be an elite goal scorer for sure.

Honestly its hard to seperate these guys at this level. Its personal preference imo. I absolutely enjoy Tarasenko's the most as its seems to be in and out of the net before the goalie reacts.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Umm... duh! Laine has a world class shot. He got that laser off on the PP while skating away from the net. He displayed good patience in waiting for the screen, and he rocketed a wrister at lightning speed. No goalie had time to react. He also positioned the shot in literally the perfect spot. If it was 1 cm to the outside it would've bounced off the pipe and out instead of inside the corner of the pipe. He could have shot it closer inwards because Ward wasn't set with his shoulders high. But even if he was, the shot still goes in.

To get that speed on the wrister, while moving, AND put it in the literal perfect position, shows just incredible skill. He'll be scoring from the top of the circles for many years. His other skills may not be world class yet, but Laine's shot is already there. That's why a guy like him goes #2. He doesn't have the hockey sense of Matthews or Kyle Connor for example, but they'll never have his shot IMO. Ideally you get him on a line with Connor (which he is) so Connor can get him in the right spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad