Does Kovalchuk have any gas left in the tank?

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I'd stay far away from Kovalchuk if I'm any team. Rather spend that money on a guy who's younger and hasn't been out of the NHL for 5 yrs.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Jagr isn't "lightyears" ahead of Kovalchuk in terms of talent. Actually, nobody is. Kovalchuk still possess some of the best hands and shooting ability in the league along with great passing ability.

Check out the 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs if you want to see what an old Kovalchuk would look like. He played with a horrible back injury and still scored more points than anyone on a stacked Devils team that year.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think he can still be effective based on his production in Russia. He's old, but I also think time spent in the KHL isn't the same, as far as toll on the body, as time spent in the NHL.

Reactions: iSophagus

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Assuming he can still stand at the left point and smash one timers I'm sure he's still valuable at least on the pp.

Reactions: LamorielloAndSon

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
He’s not ”completely washed up”. If he was he wouldn’t be one of the best scorers in the KHL. I watched some of the playoffs this year and i thought he had some dominating shifts here and there.

I think this 2nd time around he’ll be less effective 5 on 5. Obviously being 35 he’s lost some speed and explosiveness - rushing from the wing challenging defenders 1on1 used to be a big part of his game in the NHL but i think he’s going to have to change his game a bit.

He can still shoot it. He’s still skilled. He’s still a big dude. And by no means do i think he’s slow, probably like average in speed or even slightly above.

Of course the endurance part is a question mark, and if some team like LA ends up getting him and plays him on the top line and pp for 82 games he might hit some struggles at some point, but that’s not something we can definitively say at this time.

I think he might struggle with the stick infractions though. He can whack around a lot especially when he gets tired and that’s something you can’t do anymore.

Anyway i think it’ll come down to the right fit. In terms of mobility and explosiveness Kovalchuk is no worse than Laine right now. And if Laine can score +40 goals i think it’s reasonable to expect Kovalchuk to score like 25, or even 30 depending on the circumstance.

And i think ’light years below’ Jagr is a bit harsh.. i mean this is a guy who had 816 pts in 816 games. Kovy was legitimately a top tier winger in the league. It’s fair to expect similar production out of Kovy than what Jagr did when he returned.

One thing is for certain, no matter what anybody thinks of him, there’s a good chance he’s still got a better shot on the PP than what your teams wingers currently has.

rinne

Oct 10, 2016
Tampere
He is not completely washed up. He can still create at least in power play even in NHL. But he has without a doubt gotten slower. And the game in NHL has become faster during the years Kovalchuk has been playing in the KHL. The question is how much of his speed Kovalchuk has lost compared to rest of the current NHL.

I think Kovalchuk is still a productive player in NHL. But there is a risk if he gets the 2-3 years/6m contract that has been rumored. Kovalchuck could be a first line winger. Or he might not. Will be interesting to see how well Kovalchuk can play in NHL now.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
If he's 35 he should still be able to produce so long as his shot hasn't gone to hell. People watching the KHL would know where that's at. As long as he has his shot still and the same IQ he should at least be useful on the PP somewhere.

Last couple years of Jagr's tenure he looked pretty washed up to me. Put up some secondary scoring with a lot of opportunity, but just watching him in games he looked like he was going to die after getting stuck on some long shifts at least against the Flyers. At 35 though, which is Kovalchuk's age, it shouldn't be a problem for people of their talent level. I don't expect all stars like that to retire and completely fall off until at least 37 to 40, injuries aside.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I think some people forget just how good this guy was at his peak. Back in like '08 he was probably the 4th best player in the world after Crosby, Ovie, and Malkin. It's 10 yearls later now, and he's been playing in a different league. But still the same guy.

He's only a year older than Ovie. He absolutely has gas left in the tank. I don't expect 40 goals, or a fight for a scoring title like Ovie or Sid. But he should have no trouble stepping into a top 6 role, and could be a 1st line winger if things click. He led the KHL in points. It's a different game, but that's a good sign.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Some TSN analysts seem to think he is completely washed up, and that he won't be able to keep up with the pace and the rhythm of the game. Sounds like, B.S if you ask me. I mean a washed up Jagr still found a way to be an effective player... Then again, Jagr was lightyears ahead of Kovalchuk in terms of talent.

https://www.tsn.ca/video/what-kind-of-game-does-kovalchuk-have-left~1415265

So?

What Kovy were you watching to think that Jagr was "light years ahead" ? Dude averaged a PPG on garbage lines/teams. Don't get me wrong, I love Jagr and he's clearly better but light-years is a bit harsh.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Didn't people say that about Radulov who has proceeded to dominate the league for the last 2 years?

You mean the guy who was considered the best player in the world outside of the NHL then comes in, was overrated the heck out of and produced 50 points? Remember when people claimed he was the 2nd best Russian in the NHL? :laugh:

Radulov is good but he's nowhere near dominating the NHL, don't know what world you're living in where finishing 31st and 71st in league scoring the last 2 years is "dominating."

Last edited:
Reactions: K Fleur

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
He would provide an upside opportunity for a one year deal on a team with capspace. Would allow people to see what he is worth in today's NHL

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Pretty confident he could still put up 1st line numbers. Skill like he has doesn't disappear and he's had a >10 SH % every year he's been in the NHL other than the last injury plagued one in Jersey. He may not be all that he was, but I think people forget just how good that player had been.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Jagr isn't "lightyears" ahead of Kovalchuk in terms of talent. Actually, nobody is. Kovalchuk still possess some of the best hands and shooting ability in the league along with great passing ability.

Check out the 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs if you want to see what an old Kovalchuk would look like. He played with a horrible back injury and still scored more points than anyone on a stacked Devils team that year.

I disagree. An old past his prime Jagr managed to outpoint Kovalchuk at his absolute peak.

From 2005-2006 to 2007-2008
Jagr: 246GP 109G 181A 290PTS
Kovalchuk: 239GP 146G 115A 261PTS

Jagr was far more talented and it's not even close. Which is why I'm not sure an old broken down Kovalchuk can adjust his style in the way Jagr did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad