does kicking point changes affect flex stiffness in a hockey stick?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Keep in mind that stiffness ratings might vary slightly between manufacturers and stick length also plays a factor. But no it shouldn't be physically stiffer but it might 'feel' stiffer.

If you are used to mid-higher kick stick where you can really load the shaft, say Bauer Supreme, and then go for the low kick Bauer Vapor in the same flex/length, it might feel stiffer because you are flexing the stick lower on the shaft.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
IMHO, all it does is change the feel. For example a Supreme 2S stick has a reinforced hosel, so it's going to feel a lot stiffer if you're used to playing with a low kick stick like the Flylite. Because the mechanics of what you're used to wants to flex that 2S like Flylite and expects the bottom of the stick to flex more, which it wont, because it's reinforced. The reverse may happen too, if you're use to the high kick.

If you have two identical sticks with the only change between the two being the kick point, then it should take the exact same amount of energy to flex them. Same leverage. Same flex. But different feel and shot mechanics.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
No, the flex number is an actual objective measurement. The flex number is the number of pounds of force it takes to flex the stick 1 inch. When they make sticks they use a machine that flexes them to calculate this for it to be exact, so they are all the same regardless of kick point.

However, the lower the kick point is the faster it will flex because there is less distance from the flex point to the blade. That's why low kick point sticks are marketed as "quick release", and higher kick point are marketed for their loading up power. I wouldn't just buy them based off what style of shot you take though, I'm more of a sniper who takes a lot of slapshots and one-timers but I much prefer a low kick point. It allows me to flex the stick quicker on those one timers and have much better timing in getting them off. When I went from a Supreme to a 1x Lite I was in awe with how quick the puck just popped off my stick with minimal effort, the blade core also makes a difference. Vapors for instance have a much more stiff blade which is lively, better for quick hands & the puck pops off really fast, Supreme blades are much more soft & dampening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad