Does Kent Nilsson deserve to be in the HHoF?

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Like I said a couple years ago in this thread, if you're trying to make The Hall with only 550 games you better have an overflowing trophy case or been other worldly, for example...be Bobby Orr

Nilsson was none of the above, zero individual trophies and only 1 season where he makes the Top 10 in anything of note. That's not a HOF'er with a full career, nevermind in only 550 games. For reference, we talk about Orr having such a short career, well he played nearly 400 more games than Nilsson.

No one ever got into the Hall on potential, and Nilsson is in no way, shape or form the one to break that barrier.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
There's no chance - or, at least, very little chance - that Kent will ever be inducted. But I think I would vote him in if I had a vote.

He was a big scorer in the NHL, the WHA, in Sweden, and for Team Sweden (where he led the team in scoring all 3 times he played in the WC, and in the '84 CC - where he scored 4 points in a game against Team Canada).

------------------
I just noticed that Nik Ehlers' dad scored about the same number of points as Kent in the Swedish league in '89.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Do you guys think that Kent Nilsson is like the Alexei Kovalev of his generation? A sick talent when he was on, but with disappearance acts...

In a way sure but he was more skilled IMO.

He wasn't called the magic man for nothing.

Apr 15, 2022
FLORIDA
Yes. We need more Oilers Cup winners in the Hall! Kent Nilsson, Andy Moog, Esa Tikkanen, Charlie Huddy, Craig MacTavish, and Adam Graves, and that's where it stops.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Like I said a couple years ago in this thread, if you're trying to make The Hall with only 550 games you better have an overflowing trophy case or been other worldly, for example...be Bobby Orr

Nilsson was none of the above, zero individual trophies and only 1 season where he makes the Top 10 in anything of note. That's not a HOF'er with a full career, nevermind in only 550 games. For reference, we talk about Orr having such a short career, well he played nearly 400 more games than Nilsson.

No one ever got into the Hall on potential, and Nilsson is in no way, shape or form the one to break that barrier.

Not saying Kent should be in but to ignore everything outside of his NHL career is wrong imo.

Reactions: Danny46

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Feels like Kent Nilsson's "claim to fame" would be more based on stylistic points and early career trajectory than the career he actually had. Points wise, he's sort of the 80s answer to Ziggy Palffy, and in terms of what could have been, he's the Alexei Kovalev forerunner in terms of skill/flash to achievement ratio.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
That's why he deserves to me, he was good in a lot of leagues and competitions...

No he doesnt deserve to be in. He was lazy and constantly could do so much more. When a coach has to put Steen and Loob on your line just to get you to work harder then you shouldnt be in HoF. Loob and Steen are more deserving imo.

Danny46

Dec 28, 2015
No he doesnt deserve to be in. He was lazy and constantly could do so much more. When a coach has to put Steen and Loob on your line just to get you to work harder then you shouldnt be in HoF. Loob and Steen are more deserving imo.

To me he deserves, he was great in a lot of places, and he is the poster of "play with head up"...

Danny46

Dec 28, 2015
The Sedin brothers will probably be in the Hall of Fame one day, Kent Nilsson was way better than both...

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Not saying Kent should be in but to ignore everything outside of his NHL career is wrong imo.

What did he do of note? 2 100 pt seasons in a watered down WHA and produced in less than elite European leagues?

Why should European leagues matter for him when they don't for anyone else?

If Euro leagues mattered then Tim Thomas would be a HOF'er. He has a far better NHL case with 2 Vezinas and a Smythe. As well as an MVP and championships in a strong SM-Liiga

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
There is actually possible to admire and herald players even if they are not HOF worthy. There is never something in middle on these boards. Even if now Nilsson is not material for HOF one must be able to note he was heck of a skilled and entertaining player. He is also a cool person, laid back as someone mentioned earlier on here.

He had a great shot and aiming, good hockey iq, smooth operator with one of the best hands. Let’s just appreciate that!

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
He is often mentioned on this site in conversation about best stickhandling, but i hadn't seen him in team canada, and there is no highlights, what is this a enigma

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad