Does Kent Nilsson deserve to be in the HHoF?

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
This is his statline:

Regular Season
553GP264G422A686PTS1.24PPG
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Playoffs
59GP11G41A52PTS0.88PPG
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
notable achievements:

All-time Calgary Flames scoring leader record holder with 131 points in a single season.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
All-time Swedish record holder for most points in a single NHL season
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
TSN listed him as a top 10 most skilled player of all-time
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Basically he wasted 3 years playing for the WHA.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
This is his statline:

Regular Season
553GP264G422A686PTS1.24PPG
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Playoffs
59GP11G41A52PTS0.88PPG
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
notable achievements:

All-time Calgary Flames scoring leader record holder with 131 points in a single season.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
All-time Swedish record holder for most points in a single NHL season
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
TSN listed him as a top 10 most skilled player of all-time
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Basically he wasted 3 years playing for the WHA.
No. Not even close.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
One of the most memorable things about Nilsson is that his teammate Mark Messier had to physically threaten him in the locker room to get him play harder in the 1987 playoffs....

I mean, 52 points in 59 playoff games in the 1980s is quite bad for a guy who stunk at all other aspects of the game.

A player like that needs to rack up better regular season hardware than he did in order to have a shot.

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
That drop between his regular season and playoffs PPG is.... interesting.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Kind of hard for his production to drop when you look at how unspectacular his regular season numbers are.

Trevor Linden was the same in his first eight year stint in Vancouver. Above average but not spectacular numbers in the regular season but brought a PPG full package game in the playoffs. Coaches love those type of players and if you want to go far in the playoffs, your team needs them.

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
A great line came from Jeffrey Z Kline, author of a Mark Messier biography, saying something to the effect of Nilsson being known as the "magic man" for not only his magical hands but for his ability to seem to disappear for long stretches! lol!

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I only ever saw him play with Edmonton in the spring of '87. He was quite good, but as this was probably the most stacked-offensively playoff team ever, he didn't really stand out.

The weird thing is, I have no memory of him touching or holding the Cup. It's like when the clock ticked down, he went straight to the locker room.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
He really wasn't really special in the NHL. He had four good seasons (only one that was elite really) and was basically a defensive liability or a solid but not prolific scorer during the rest of his short career there. I don't know why he would have a shot at the HHOF unless he has a spectacular International resume, and as far as I know that's not the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dingo

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Based on stats, you'd have to say he was consistently pretty elite from mid-1979 to mid-1985 (1 season in Atlanta, then the first 5 seasons in Calgary).

He ran into some injury problems that limited his totals, but if you pro-rate his scoring paces to 80 games, the stat-line might have looked like this:
1979-80: 93 points (actual)
1980-81: 131 points (actual)
1981-82: 107 points
1982-83: 104 points (actual)
1983-84: 96 points
1984-85: 103 points

...which is pretty impressive, but, given that this was the highest-scoring era in modern hockey, he's "only" 8th in PPG over this period (not counting M.Lemieux's one season). He's also a -31 over this period, worst of the top-19 scorers over this time frame.

His WHA numbers look impressive, but those 107 points in 1978 placed him only 4th (!) on his team in scoring. And when he became the main-man and top-scorer the next season, the team dropped 20 points in the standings.

Then, as someone noted, his NHL playoff numbers are underwhelming to say the least. If not for that late-career run with Edmonton (playing on a line with Messier & Anderson), his playoff stat-line would have shown 33 points in 38 games and a -10. That's actually pretty terrible in that era for a guy who was a 100+ point scorer on a competitive team.

Other than his '87 run with Edmonton, I didn't see the guy play in his prime (and even by '87 he was probably past his best years), and I wouldn't want to speculate too much based on nothing but stats, but given those stats and his reputation among peers, I do get the impression of an extremely talented but somewhat aloof player who was not the kind of guy whom you'd bank on to lead your team to victory.

Still, 8th in PPG over an six years period isn't shabby. But is that in itself worth a Hall of Fame ticket? I say no.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Here's a summary of his NHL career:

1980: 93 points, -4 rating in 80 games. 78 adjusted points. Finished 13th in the scoring race in a fairly lackluster season in terms of competition in the scoring race. Outscored by Al MacAdam, Blair MacDonald, Blaine Stoughton and Mike Rogers. This season is comparable to Blake Wheeler's 2017 NHL season from an offensive perspective (Wheeler had 74 points - 82 adjusted points - and finished 12th in the scoring race in 2017).

1981: Had an elite season.. Finished third in scoring with 131 points. Finished only four points behind Dionne. Outscored Mike Bossy (who played 79 games), Peter Stastny (79 GP) and Trottier (103 points in 73 GP).

1982: 55 points in 41 games in the highest scoring season of the modern era. -20 rating.

1983: 104 points in 80 games. 84 adjusted points. Finished tenth in the scoring race. Probably another elite season actually. Outscored Kurri, Lanny McDonald, Middleton, Hawerchuk, Francis and Trottier, all of whom played every game except Hawerchuk and Francis, who both played 79.

1984: 80 points (63 adjusted points) in 67 games, -24 rating.

1985: 99 points (78 adjusted points) in 77 games, -4 rating. Finished 17th in the scoring race. Better than his 1980 season but nothing amazing.

1986: 60 points in 61 games with MIN. +4 rating. Only 16 goals. There's nothing spectacular about a near PPG season in which a player scored fewer than 20 goals in 60+ games in 1986.

1987: 63 points in 61 games. Only 18 goals. Better than his previous season but not outstanding.

1995: One point in six games.

Basically, he had two elite seasons - one of which was particularly impressive - and two good ones. He had another couple of seasons where he put up points when he played but missed games and had a plus/minus rating of -20 or worse and then declined offensively.

There's no way this body of work constitutes a HHOF career when guys like Turgeon and Roenick aren't even in the HHOF.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Based on stats, you'd have to say he was consistently pretty elite from mid-1979 to mid-1985 (1 season in Atlanta, then the first 5 seasons in Calgary).

He ran into some injury problems that limited his totals, but if you pro-rate his scoring paces to 80 games, the stat-line might have looked like this:
1979-80: 93 points (actual)
1980-81: 131 points (actual)
1981-82: 107 points
1982-83: 104 points (actual)
1983-84: 96 points
1984-85: 103 points

...which is pretty impressive, but, given that this was the highest-scoring era in modern hockey, he's "only" 8th in PPG over this period (not counting M.Lemieux's one season). He's also a -31 over this period, worst of the top-19 scorers over this time frame.

His WHA numbers look impressive, but those 107 points in 1978 placed him only 4th (!) on his team in scoring. And when he became the main-man and top-scorer the next season, the team dropped 20 points in the standings.

Then, as someone noted, his NHL playoff numbers are underwhelming to say the least. If not for that late-career run with Edmonton (playing on a line with Messier & Anderson), his playoff stat-line would have shown 33 points in 38 games and a -10. That's actually pretty terrible in that era for a guy who was a 100+ point scorer on a competitive team.

Other than his '87 run with Edmonton, I didn't see the guy play in his prime (and even by '87 he was probably past his best years), and I wouldn't want to speculate too much based on nothing but stats, but given those stats and his reputation among peers, I do get the impression of an extremely talented but somewhat aloof player who was not the kind of guy whom you'd bank on to lead your team to victory.

Still, 8th in PPG over an six years period isn't shabby. But is that in itself worth a Hall of Fame ticket? I say no.

Yeah, if it hadn't been for injuries in '82 and '84, he would have a better shot (his plus/minus totals in both seasons look poor, but it's not like I actually watched him play - they could be misleading), but I don't think he would have gotten in without greater longevity anyway.

To me John LeClair's six season run from '95-'00 beats what Nilsson did from '80-'85 and I don't know if John will be inducted.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Look at the Calgary Flames roster during his time with the team, especially in the first 5 years. He was head and shoulders above the rest of the team, the 131 point season was disgusting.

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
No matter HOF or not, he was one of the coolest, most skilled and laid back players ever. Great hands and a fantastic shot. I am biased of course since have met him many times and in his company you find him just relaxed with a distance to himself.

Let alone the goal against USA in WC 1989 or hitting the crossbar in a challenge by reporter in Hockey Night In Canada. Unassuming guy as they come. His personality and ease on-off ice made him so likeable.

Bonus info. He has played hockey in Spain, with Prince Albert (who sponsored the team and of course made himself part of the roster).

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Maybe with a full NHL career he does. The problem was, he was a bit of a flake. There is that story where Messier pinned him up against a wall during the 1987 playoffs urging him to give a full effort, or something to that effect. It may have worked. He had 19 points in 21 playoff games that year. On a side note, that famous slash Hextall took in the 1987 Cup final was right on the back of the legs of Nilsson of all people.

I think he has a career not unlike Denis Maruk. Gaudy totals in a couple of different years and loads of potential but you just never saw it as much as you'd like to have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad