Silver Seven Does it Matter if the Sens Ever Win the Stanley Cup?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Faith_Hill_-_It_Matters_to_Me.jpg

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I fully expect I will never see the Sens win the Stanley Cup in my lifetime. Given the size of the league, and the size of this market, it's just not going to happen. That being said, I like hockey, and was born, raised, and live in Ottawa. It is what it is. Their are soccer fans that would die for their league 1 team fully knowing they will never win the EPL. There's nothing wrong with loving a team that will never win it all.
European sports is a different animal. There’s no salary cap and no attempt at parity. The same rich teams will always be on top, save for an anomaly like Leicester City.

The NHL has had dynasties in smaller markets. Tampa was an absolute disaster of a franchise 12 years ago with terrible ownership in a questionable market at the time.

Fans in a salary cap league shouldn’t just expect their team to be a door mat.

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Not at all - better off focusing on staying in the playoffs and avoiding Franchise threatening tear downs where 5200 fans attend games for years on end.

Trade the 30 year olds - become Tampa Rays

Reactions: Yak

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
That is a weird question. Maybe they mean: given it is unlikely we have success under Melnyk, will you still be a fan?

That many fans have lost confidence in Melnyks leadership and commitment to win is a large part of our ticket sales problem. A wise owner should know how to fix that.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
My expectations have cratered as far as winning championships are concerned. So much has to go your way.

I just want to be entertained. Winning helps though.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
My expectations have cratered as far as winning championships are concerned. So much has to go your way.

I just want to be entertained. Winning helps though.

Pretty much this. This is a 32 team league. It's just not realistic to "expect" a cup. Statistically, that means maybe one cup between now and 2054, probably less since we're a smaller market/budget team.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
Of course it matters.

A true fan will be a fan through thick and thin.

However to me, to just watch the team never win is like drinking alcohol free beer.

Sure, it tastes and looks the same, but seriously. What's the point?

Especially if you attend games and are emotionally invested into this team.

The whole point of buying alcohol, is the effect. At least for beer.

The whole point to me to pay to watch a team, is the hope they give you they will win a cup.

Without that hope, the point of cheering a competitive hockey team starts to make less sense.

Reactions: Sicko and bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Pretty much this. This is a 32 team league. It's just not realistic to "expect" a cup. Statistically, that means maybe one cup between now and 2054, probably less since we're a smaller market/budget team.

No one is expecting a cup, however to be ok with never winning one is a horrible mind set. Its a loser mentality that I personally want nothing to do with. I dont care if the odds are stacked against us, I personally do not see the point in cheering for a team if you have no aspirations of achieving the ultimate goal. This is the mind set that has people leaving the games early, or defending terrible decisions by the organization. The market has this mentality then it can trickle down into everything about the organization. Covid has shown us how important fans really are to a teams success and the overall experience.

Are you suggesting there are 31 mediocre teams every season?

31 teams not winning has also never happened outside of 2005. Secondly there is a different winner almost every year, this is saying that this 'fan' is ok with losing every single season? How is that acceptable? The moment it is then this organization is doomed.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
You have to have the hope and belief in fans that it is at least a possibility, or you're in danger territory as a franchise imo.

It's one thing to come up empty year after year, or have the deck stacked against you more than other teams like the Senators are, but to essentially accept having no chance and expecting fans to show up and give a shit would probably end hockey in Ottawa.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You have to have the hope and belief in fans that it is at least a possibility, or you're in danger territory as a franchise imo.

It's one thing to come up empty year after year, or have the deck stacked against you more than other teams like the Senators are, but to essentially accept having no chance and expecting fans to show up and give a shit would probably end hockey in Ottawa.

I think they have an infinitesimal chance and yet I renew my tickets every year.

We don’t have the financial resources of larger teams meaning that every move has to be absolutely perfect and the timing for contracts impeccable just to have a competitive window, let alone actually win four rounds within that window.

Add a crazy owner to the mix and it would be a miracle.

Provided I still pay my money and go to the games, I don’t think it matters one bit what I think. I don’t work for the Senators.

Maybe my expectations will rise when we actually qualify for the playoffs.

Talking about Cups because we played 20 good games is Leaf Nation territory.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think they have an infinitesimal chance and yet I renew my tickets every year.

We don’t have the financial resources of larger teams meaning that every move has to be absolutely perfect and the timing for contracts impeccable just to have a competitive window, let alone actually win four rounds within that window.

Provided I still pay my money, I don’t think it matters one bit what I think. I don’t work for the Senators.
That seems reasonable. I would say the runs we've had are evidence enough to show that it's not an infinitesimal chance, but certainly still poor odds. I know I always believed there was a chance, even if it was small and that was enough.

I think we all know the chances of a cup in Ottawa are arguably the lowest in the league based on resources available and small market circumstances, but there have at least still been ups and downs along the way and the runs rejuvenated the fan base and gave hope that they weren't just blowing smoke up our asses.

Maybe what i'm referring to is more of a league wide thing in some other pro sports leagues like Euro soccer or MLB before the luxury tax where parody wasn't the goal and numerous teams know 100% going in that they have no shot, with their management seemingly publicly accepting it as well.

Would you still care and keep going under those circumstances? I know I couldn't tune in if that were the case and would end up just migrating my viewing to teams that are competing for the chip, like I do with the NBA without one favorite team I follow year after year and have done with hockey the last few years while the Senators have tanked.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If there was no cap, you’re right - it would be like being a mid-to-low table team in the EPL.

You either have to change your benchmark for success or be eternally disapppointed.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If there was no cap, you’re right - it would be like being a mid-to-low table team in the EPL.

You either have to change your benchmark for success or be eternally disapppointed.
I guess sports is different to all of us too.

Some are fine with just a little entertainment, some need to be emotionally invested with hopes and dreams, some just want to be part of a clan and be social, etc.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Yes, it matters, not only for the fans but also for the players and the team. We become invested in the success of the players. It makes me sick that Alfie never won a cup. But that is in the general course of a career (10-15 years). On a season-to-season basis, I don't think it matters as much, but I would like to see the team be more competitive on a yearly basis. It's been a long time since this team was a lock for the playoffs. I would like to get back to that point, and soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad