Does Frédérik Gauthier seem like a Babcock kind of player?

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
its true, for such a massive guy gauthier can for sure play more rough and tough, and be even more physical and go a lot harder out there...imo that will come, hes 21 and just finished his 1st year in the ahl...hes gonna be a regular very soon

Freddy can handle the rough stuff, if pushed. Watch what happens to the poor kid who provokied him once too often. He unleashes hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IQVjv6Dk3E

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I dont think he will ever crack 20 points in a season in his entire career.

He has zero offensive ability, unfortunately. Lucky for him we have three of the best forward prospects in the world so he can hide from the media and take his time to grow his game.

Yep - his stone cold hands will keep him anchored to the 4th line should he ever make the NHL.

If he wants to stay with the Leafs he's really going to have to prove to Babcock that his niche skill set makes him a better option than other players. Though to get there he's going to need to try to work on skating speed.

I think a coach somewhere will give him an NHL spot though (deserved or not) due to his large size

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Take a look at Brian Boyle's career and how it started.

Drafted at 26th overall in 2003 and he wasn't an NHL regular till 2009-2010. Went back and forth between the AHL and the NHL until then. Boyle's breakout year was in 2010-2011 with 21 goals and 35 points, he had 6 points in 72 games the year before.

Paul Gaustad was drafted 220th overall in 2000 and wasn't an NHL regular till the 2005-2006 season.

I think Gauthier still has time to mature into his gigantic frame like these other two players. I still think Gauthier has similar potential to them also, just might take some time which most of us expected.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Take a look at Brian Boyle's career and how it started.

Drafted at 26th overall in 2003 and he wasn't an NHL regular till 2009-2010. Went back and forth between the AHL and the NHL until then. Boyle's breakout year was in 2010-2011 with 21 goals and 35 points, he had 6 points in 72 games the year before.

Paul Gaustad was drafted 220th overall in 2000 and wasn't an NHL regular till the 2005-2006 season.

I think Gauthier still has time to mature into his gigantic frame like these other two players. I still think Gauthier has similar potential to them also, just might take some time which most of us expected.

I see more of Boyle than Gaustad in Freddie. Can't put my finger on what it is. Maybe his cycling game? The way he protects the puck?

Last edited:

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
We really don't have much here. We literally have dozens of prospects with more potential than Gauthier. We'll see how he does with the Marlies this year but I seriously doubt he amounts to anything of value.

Might have said that a year ago but seeing his tremendous improvement this training camp. It's just a matter of time before Freddie seals his fate as a regular performer for the Leafs. His skating and his push back has improved 100% in just a year.

Pops

Sep 22, 2016
I see more of Boyle than Gaustad in Freddie. Can't put my finger on what it is. Maybe his cycling game? The way he protects the puck?
If Freddie ends up being Boyle, I'll be thrilled. Even a Gaustad type player, would suffice for that 4th like centre spot. No way he tops out as a top 9.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm still hoping for a guy who can just effectively eat defensive zone-starts and hopefully flip the ice to give Matthews (who I predict will get fairly balanced usage) and Nylander (who will get a heavy offensive zone usage) easier minutes. Look at how Kruger is used by Chicago, then look at Toews and Kane. I have a feeling if Gauthier develops he can be that Kruger, while Matthews and Nylander's usage will look like Toews and Kane. It won't be a sexy role for a 1st round pick, but could be very useful in the long haul.

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I'm still hoping for a guy who can just effectively eat defensive zone-starts and hopefully flip the ice to give Matthews (who I predict will get fairly balanced usage) and Nylander (who will get a heavy offensive zone usage). Look at how Kruger is used by Chicago, then look at Toews and Kane. I have a feeling if Gauthier develops he can be that Kruger, while Matthews and Nylander's usage will look like Toews and Kane. It won't be a sexy role for a 1st round pick, but could be very useful in the long haul.

Yup, both a more valuable role and harder to find player than an average/vanilla borderline top 6 winger.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad