Does Florida make the playoffs in 2019?

Does Florida make the playoffs in 2019?

• Total voters

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I voted no, but its not a confident vote, and I somewhat wish I hadn't voted because I can see it going either way.

They will be in a dog-fight with NJ, Columbus, Philly, and possibly Pittsburgh for the 2-wildcard spots. I don't see them cracking the top-3 in the Atlantic unless there is a major disappointment in one of the rosters.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Sure. Could even see them breaking into atlantic top 3 tho that’s no small task. But as a WC1 or maybe WC2 I don’t see why not.

Reactions: BHD

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I can't figure out how they wouldn't beat the Devils out of a spot.

Just a superior lineup on paper.
hockey isn't played on paper. that how you can figure they wouldn't beat the devils out of a spot

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I don't like to get too fixated on lineups/rosters. Has less to do with how the team will really play on the ice than the perception can be sometimes.
Not to mention sometimes for other teams it can be said the same about their rosters, but people will sometimes undersell their's. It might not just be a scenario where the Panthers play worse than people think, another team might play better than people think.
The lopsided poll on the Panthers board, all that does is give me a bad omen.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Voted "no". But I actually like the team and the roster. It's just that there's too many teams in the mix, and they can't all make it.

Questions about goaltending are big. I trust Luongo, but not Reimer.

Reactions: SteadyFreddie

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This is a tough one. They're in the mix with all the bubble teams who are fighting for one of the two wildcard spots.

I think they're definitely below Tampa, Boston, Toronto in the Atlantic, and I think Washington and Pittsburgh take two of the top three spots in the Metro. So that leaves them battling with Columbus, Philly, New Jersey, and maybe Carolina.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
depending on which team shows up.

First 41:

17-18-6
2.77 GF / 3.30 GAA
.907 Save %
16 PP%

Second 41:

27-12-2 (4th most points)
3.29 GF / 2.51 GAA
.925 Save %
22.9 PP%

The Panthers were the only NHL team with four players who scored at least 27 goals and had at least 65 points last season, and they added another 25+/60 player in Hoffman, who should help on the PP.

Four things that need to happen/improve upon in order for the Panthers to make the playoffs:

1. Health obviously, especially to our goaltenders.

2. A combined .915-.920 save % from our goaltenders.

3. Their PP must improve, which should happen with the addition of Hoffman.

4. Last, but just as important as the other three, is that they must get off to a better start. They always seem to start the season off slow, and have to fight their way to get back into contention.

Reactions: Skeletorrr

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
There are?

Hmmm... *looks up last seasons standings* ... Maybe I should do the math.

There seems to be about 3-5 teams that are almost totally out of it (DET, MTL, OTT, maybe BUF and NYR). The Islanders missed last season, and have gotten worse on paper.

So I guess, assuming the top 3 in each division (just to make things easy), that's 2 spots for 4 teams. That's not tooo many teams in the mix, by any means. And Florida should be at the top of that list of 4, with Jersey, CBus, and Carolina.

I stand corrected. Maybe I should change my vote. It should be an easier year than normal to get in.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I voted yes. Thell compete with Toronto for third in the division and if not a WC for sure

The locks

Tampa
Boston
Pitts
Wash

Then competition for 3rd in each division and WC between

Florida
Jersey
Toronto
Philly
Columbus Blue Jackets
Carolina

Maybe a suprise too like Ottawa

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I'll say a very confident yes. Their roster is easily much better than NJ's. The Panthers overtaking NJ is the main reason I expect the Devils to miss this year.

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
I'll say a very confident yes. Their roster is easily much better than NJ's. The Panthers overtaking NJ is the main reason I expect the Devils to miss this year.
Carolina might even overtake New Jersey even without Skinner. It was weird how they saw Florida add Hoffman and Philly JVR and made no attempt to improve.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Carolina might even overtake New Jersey even without Skinner. It was weird how they saw Florida add Hoffman and Philly JVR and made no attempt to improve.
I could totally see that happening. Aho and Teuvo are a deadly duo and Svech will be a beast. Not to mention their stacked d core. But their goaltending is a hugee question mark and I dont know what to expect from them because of it.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
the way they played in the second half with the kids getting their feet wet and everyone learning boughner's system, etc. now they add hoffman for nothing, and most likely add borgstrom. yes, they should be in the playoffs, theres no excuses.

a top 5 of:

Barkov
Trocheck
Huberdeau
Dadonov
Hoffman

add in Borgstrom and Vatrano for the whole year to the top-9.

top-4 D:

Ekblad
Yandle
Matheson
Petrovic/Pysyk

added Kiselevich in a shutdown role and Weegar fulltime.

as long as goaltending stays healthy theres no excuse to miss.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
the way they played in the second half with the kids getting their feet wet and everyone learning boughner's system, etc. now they add hoffman for nothing, and most likely add borgstrom. yes, they should be in the playoffs, theres no excuses.

a top 5 of:

Barkov
Trocheck
Huberdeau
Dadonov
Hoffman

add in Borgstrom and Vatrano for the whole year to the top-9.

top-4 D:

Ekblad
Yandle
Matheson
Petrovic/Pysyk

added Kiselevich in a shutdown role and Weegar fulltime.

as long as goaltending stays healthy theres no excuse to miss.

That isn't a top 5, top 4 other teams can match?

I think the over optimism of Florida is gaining too much momentum here. We shall see, I suppose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad