Does Finland have chances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
What makes Finland as good as it is in best-on-best is the chemistry. There's hardly anyone who says no to play with the lions if they don't have a very good reason, which gives Finland a very good opportunity to try to find combos in the world champs, that will come over and over again when they work.

Other teams, like sweden and russia always have a number of players who have either tiny injuries to pinkies, or just don't feel motivated. Finnish players are always motivated to play and thus come to the World Champs and get to play together and build chemistry.

That being said... I am happy if I see Finland in a semi-final. And even happier if there's a medal in it... But I don't have too high hopes.

If the team plays well though, I am sure Erkka will mess it up. He should not be a coach at this level.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Finland always seems to play better than would be expected from a team with their talent level. They are always hanging with the big dogs, ddefying logic.

Randall Graves*

If Ruutu is healthy I think Finland has a good chance of winning a medal...that guy is a monster.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Diaboli said:
You're looking it from the wrong POV.

We're not young, you're old ;)

In elementary school 8 years ago would make the current age, what 19, 20 tops?

Yeah, anyone over 20 is an old coger. Lemme just grab my walker, put on my shawl and shuffle out the door wearing my grandma slippers. :D

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I would like to see three equal pairings on D ^^ getting aprox. the same ice time.

Timonen - Numminen - The best pairing in the world cup, should get another shot...
Pitkänen - Lydman - With the icetime Lydman has been logging... This should be pretty nice to watch...
Väänänen - Salo - The PK pairing. Salo has seen most icetime of all vancouver d-men iirc...

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
octopi said:
In elementary school 8 years ago would make the current age, what 19, 20 tops?

Yeah, anyone over 20 is an old coger. Lemme just grab my walker, put on my shawl and shuffle out the door wearing my grandma slippers. :D

Damn its my 21st b-day in months I should start enjoying my youth while it lasts and stop reading these boards all day long. :p: I was in sixth grade.

RangersFan88*

wilka91* said:
Personnally, based on hockey (and not some rosters and depth discussions), Finland is just as good as Sweden.

finnland got the better goaltending but sweden is way better on the offense

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
wildone26 said:
I think they will go with Kiprusoff, Lethonen, and Toskala, in that order. If Lehtonen is not healthy by the Olympics they will replace him with Nittymaki. Markkanen looks to even be losing his #1 job in Edmonton, which has a dearth of goaltenders at the moment.

In recent weeks, probably.

Also, I would have to believe that Finland consituants saw Niittymaki beat Kiprusoff in the 1-0 SO win.

If I were Finland I would go like this: Kiprusoff - Niittymaki - Lehtonen/Toskala (depending on Kari's health)

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I like the Finns chances with their goaltending and grit. If Selanne can continue to play well and Pitkanen is healthy, I like them along with Sweden and the Czechs to compete for 2nd behind Canada.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
I think the players are good, but the coaching seems a bit shaky. Westerlund has almost always said he was happy after a piss poor game, which does not sound very good to me.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Esko6 said:
I think the players are good, but the coaching seems a bit shaky. Westerlund has almost always said he was happy after a piss poor game, which does not sound very good to me.

Westerlund knows his tactics and his hockey knowledge, so on paper there's nothign wrong with him. What people do doubt is his ability to push and prod players to get the best performance out of them, thats because in the previous Westerlund-Summanen duo Summanen had that job.

If the players can push and prod themselves enough by the effect that captain Koivu has on them, then we should be fine. But the coaching duo of Westerlund-Virta doesn't have that ability imho.

But roster, we should be good enough to compete for gold, tactics wise we should be smart enough for gold.

But who'se the guy saying to your ear, you can do better, you're better than him,

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Esko6 said:

Agreed. I simply do not trust in him. I'm sure he's gonna choose guys like Nummelin, Hentunen and Peltonen to the team. :help:

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
blacklabel said:
Agreed. I simply do not trust in him. I'm sure he's gonna choose guys like Nummelin, Hentunen and Peltonen to the team. :help:

I would not argue much if he chose Peltonen. Peltonen is the go to guy when the going gets tough. It seems he is ALWAYS either scoring that game winning goal. And he was in our best line in the world cup too.

But Nummelin I do not want to see in the team, has no value in defense against big guys.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Can an NHL team "forbid" a player from playing in the Olympics?

I would think that Atlanta would prefer that Lehtonen not play and use that time to rest. The last thing they would want their franchise goalie to do is play "extra" games and risk re-injuring his oft injured groin.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
psycho_dad said:
I would not argue much if he chose Peltonen. Peltonen is the go to guy when the going gets tough. It seems he is ALWAYS either scoring that game winning goal. And he was in our best line in the world cup too.

But Nummelin I do not want to see in the team, has no value in defense against big guys.

Well, if I had to choose one of those players I'd take Hentunen. I like his style of playing more than Peltonen's, but Hagman is better than both of them IMO.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
pelts35.com said:

I would think that Atlanta would prefer that Lehtonen not play and use that time to rest. The last thing they would want their franchise goalie to do is play "extra" games and risk re-injuring his oft injured groin.

Then they should ban him from playing in the playoffs while they're at it. :rolleyes:

And there's no way that Toskala is going to be on the team. The 3rd goalie will be from Europe, most likely Fredrik Norrena.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Jussi said:
Then they should ban him from playing in the playoffs while they're at it. :rolleyes:

What does one thing have to do with the other? :shakehead

The Olympics (or any other non-NHL tournament) has nothing to do with the Thrashers. Lehtonen is under contract with the Atlanta Thrashers, so playing for them in the playoffs is part of his obligation to the team.

Given that Lehtonen has been out the entire season with a groin injury, as the Thrashers management (or fan for that matter) would you want him to play extra games for another team and risk re-injuring it or would you rather him rest for that period of time?

I'm guessing that you, Jussi, just want him in there to give your nation the best roster possible while not caring about what team Lehtonen is under contract with and their best interests?

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
pelts35.com said:

Because of the injury and the way Niittymäki and Toivonen has been palying, Lehtonen is not going to be on the team.

Taze

Jan 27, 2003
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
jepjepjoo said:
Damn its my 21st b-day in months I should start enjoying my youth while it lasts and stop reading these boards all day long. :p: I was in sixth grade.

And I had almost finished my studies in Helsinki Polytechnic (although the place had different name that time)... *sigh*

Since the discussion is about goaltenders, I'll tell you that Kipper and Norrena will be there, who is the third goalie that's the question. Toivonen, Markkanen or Niittymäki seems to be the options, I suppose Erkka will take Markkanen, just because he's more experienced than other two. And Norrena? Erkka said that one goalie is coming from Europe (no jetlag) and that has to be Norrena, although Bäckström has played very well too. It's just Norrena's job this time.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Taze said:
And I had almost finished my studies in Helsinki Polytechnic (although the place had different name that time)... *sigh*

Since the discussion is about goaltenders, I'll tell you that Kipper and Norrena will be there, who is the third goalie that's the question. Toivonen, Markkanen or Niittymäki seems to be the options, I suppose Erkka will take Markkanen, just because he's more experienced than other two. And Norrena? Erkka said that one goalie is coming from Europe (no jetlag) and that has to be Norrena, although Bäckström has played very well too. It's just Norrena's job this time.

I would choose Niittymäki as a back up and Norrena would be the 3rd. Markkanen is so god damn inconsistent.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
pelts35.com said:
I'm guessing that you, Jussi, just want him in there to give your nation the best roster possible while not caring about what team Lehtonen is under contract with and their best interests?

Why should he care? But I am sure he cares about the future of Lehtonen.

Anyway, Lehtonen will not play even if he is selected. Kiprusoff is our #1 for sure. Unless Lehtonen does something miraculous in the games he has before the olympics. Stop worrying about him...he might not even get selected and even if he is, Kipper is the main man at the moment.

I just dont understand the love for Norrena in this thread. Sure he is great, in europe. We just have lots of good young guys playing in the NHL. I'd rather choose the best possible team.

Taze

Jan 27, 2003
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
psycho_dad said:
I just dont understand the love for Norrena in this thread. Sure he is great, in europe. We just have lots of good young guys playing in the NHL. I'd rather choose the best possible team.

Exactly what part of "Erkka said one goalie will be from Europe" you didn't understand? I'll try to explain it ;). Besides Norrena has played very well for National team, he is already in Europe (no jetlag) and is used to IIHF type of equipment (NHL goalies play with smaller equipment). I'm not that sold on the three letters N, H and L alone. For godsake Sulander won us bronze medal in Nagano and he has never played in NHL.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
psycho_dad said:
Why should he care? But I am sure he cares about the future of Lehtonen.

Anyway, Lehtonen will not play even if he is selected. Kiprusoff is our #1 for sure. Unless Lehtonen does something miraculous in the games he has before the olympics. Stop worrying about him...he might not even get selected and even if he is, Kipper is the main man at the moment.

I agree, SEL or Euro-Hockey tour isn't somethign on a CV that should get you an olympic roster spot.
Last year he sucked in the World Championships when the going was tougher.. injury was cited as a reason, but if he was injured why did he join up in the first place? And if it was a result of a puck hitting him badly, then why risk losing one of your goalies during the Olympics when he should be facing even more pucks..

plus he'd surely be intimidated by the names on the backs of his opponents, rather take someone used to them who isn't intimidated by them. Niittymäki for example,..

Norrena won't be an option for us in the long term, he's getting on with it and our young guns are just so damn good. Rather take someone for experience, Lehtonen or Toivonen as there's two future starters/franchise goaltenders there. If the NHL ended with todays standings for the World Championships we'd have Lehtonen, Hurme, Toivonen, Toskala available.. of those I'd take at least 2 without even thinking of European based goalies..

worst case scenario is imho that Erkka takes a Aravirta approach and takes his favourites like Norrena, Peltonen, Nummelin etc .. Yes it is on the big ice but.. There's Kipper, there's #2 for injury and with current play that has to be Niittymäki.
Then there's #3, so he might as well be a talented youngster who needs to be brought into the fold, namely Lehtonen or Toivonen who've only basically played in the juniors for the national team. (Kari has been the #3 twice though, World Cup and one World Championships) Get them in the mix and get them to know their teammates, as they'll play a huge role for us in the near future..

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
psycho_dad said:

Agree 100%. But actually it doesn't matter cause he will be the 3rd goalie and is not going to play in the tournament.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad