Does Finland have chances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

El_Loco_Avs

Jul 6, 2003
The Netherlands
I'm counting on Finland to win some against the "bigger" teams. I've always loved their tenacious style.
And they've actually got an NHL-caliber goalie now. :amazed:

Taze

Jan 27, 2003
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Raimo Sillanpää said:
Norrena won't be an option for us in the long term, he's getting on with it and our young guns are just so damn good. Rather take someone for experience, Lehtonen or Toivonen as there's two future starters/franchise goaltenders there.

And exactly WHY, we should take youngsters to learn the game in OLYMPICS? Let them play and learn in NHL first and bring them in for short tournaments when they are ready. And yes, if Lehtonen would be healthy, I'd take him no questions asked.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
psycho_dad said:
I think Lehtonen will be in the team. Westerlund said in a local newspaper that he selected 4 "healing" players and that would suggest S.Koivu, Lehtinen, Ruutu, Pitkänen.

You mean Lehtonen? ;)

I don't want Lehtonen. He has only 1 period under his belt this season and has just recovered from a serious injury. I can't understand why Westerlund won't go with Niittymäki. He has been healthy all year and has a very good season so far.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Taze said:
And exactly WHY, we should take youngsters to learn the game in OLYMPICS? Let them play and learn in NHL first and bring them in for short tournaments when they are ready. And yes, if Lehtonen would be healthy, I'd take him no questions asked.

3rd goalie isn't playing time learning.
It's learning to know your future teammates. Toivonen for example, already has this NHL experience, somehting Norrena doesn't have and will probably never get.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
blacklabel said:
You mean Lehtonen? ;)

I don't want Lehtonen. He has only 1 period under his belt this season and has just recovered from a serious injury. I can't understand why Westerlund won't go with Niittymäki. He has been healthy all year and has a very good season so far.

Wow..yes I mean Lehtonen, I guess HFboards is finally starting to affect my typing! Westerlund might go with Nitty and Lehtonen, you never know. I know he said one goalie will be from europe but maybe that was a brainfart.

Taze

Jan 27, 2003
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Raimo Sillanpää said:
Toivonen for example, already has this NHL experience, somehting Norrena doesn't have and will probably never get.

So? How many games of NHL experience Ari Sulander has? He stopped Canada in Nagano to ensure our bronze. And exactly how does "NHL experience" help the goalie in Olympic size rink with Olympic (IIHF) size equipment?

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
I remember that in 1998 your best goalie was a solid NHL backup. Now, Finland seems to be the best country at producing goalies. You have come a long way.

With this weakened Russia team, I may end up cheering for Finalnd even more than I usually do (you are my #2 team in internation competition). Good luck!!

Transported Upstater

octopi said:
Finland always seems to play better than would be expected from a team with their talent level. They are always hanging with the big dogs, ddefying logic.

Because their goaltending is medal-worthy, and they play well as a team. I love the way Finland plays.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Taze said:
So? How many games of NHL experience Ari Sulander has? He stopped Canada in Nagano to ensure our bronze. And exactly how does "NHL experience" help the goalie in Olympic size rink with Olympic (IIHF) size equipment?

Sulander had a few good games, but that was just 1 game.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that new nhl equipment is smaller than Olympic?
Besides, Kipper's #1 and unless he has a brainfart, he's in every game.

Soo.. why not work for the future at the same time? We should have a World Cup in 2008 for which Norrena won't even be considered..

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
I really like the potential of this Finland team and I think they have a very strong chance to come away with at least a 4th place showing.

As mentioned, they have one of the very best goalies in the world and they have depth at the postion. As well they have a very solid well-rounded defense.

Off the top of my head:

Lehtinen - Koivu - Selanee
Peltonen - Jokinen - Ruutu
Laaksonen - Kapanen - Kapanen
Niemenen - Koivu - ??? (not real important spot anyway)

Timonen - Vaananen
Pitkanen - Salo
Lydman - Numminen

Kiprusoff
Lehtonen

I think Peltonen will be there as he fits that 2nd line role nicely as a play maker on that line and has been prety good for Finland in the past. The first line is really solid and Selannee is playing like a superstar again. Lehtinen is only 5 goals behind the NHL leader in goals. Koivu is the heart and soul up front while Jokinen and Ruutu are game breakers that they need big tournaments out of.

The third line seems solid but maybe have Niemenen or someone else in that 3rd line spot makes more sense ???

I really like the defense and the 2 way ability that they all provide with the exception of Vaananen who is mostly just a stay at home. They arent very physical as a unit though and thats why I think that Vaananen should be paired with their #1 Timmonen on their first unit.

This team could make it all the way to the final if they get the right match-ups.

In the medal round I cant see them beating Canada or the Czechs but would put money on them beating anyone else.

They are the team I want to win most after Canada and it would make me very happy to see them win a medal.

Taze

Jan 27, 2003
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Raimo Sillanpää said:
Sulander had a few good games, but that was just 1 game.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that new nhl equipment is smaller than Olympic?
Besides, Kipper's #1 and unless he has a brainfart, he's in every game.

Soo.. why not work for the future at the same time? We should have a World Cup in 2008 for which Norrena won't even be considered..

Sulander was playing in Europe, that's my point.

And yes NHL equipment is smaller, that's why goalies coming from there needs to adjust for bigger equipment, ask Passmore if that's easy. And of course Kipper is number one, but he has failed in National team too...

This the best of the best tournament, not a training session. Best players should play, those youngsters will have their chances later (ie. 2008 and 2010).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad