Does Dylan Strome become an impact player for the Coyotes?

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Simple yes or no. I think I speak for us all when I say we have no idea what he could turn out to be. Today's game is all about speed, but his talent is undeniable. Mix it with Connor McDavid's speed, it would probably make him on of the best young players in the league (really anyone with that speed would probably be twice the player they are now, but humor me.) Question is, does his speed kill him? Or can he improve his skating enough to be able to be a dynamic playmaker capable slowing down the game?

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Simple yes or no. I think I speak for us all when I say we have no idea what he could turn out to be. Today's game is all about speed, but his talent is undeniable. Mix it with Connor McDavid's speed, it would probably make him on of the best young players in the league (really anyone with that speed would probably be twice the player they are now, but humor me.) Question is, does his speed kill him? Or can he improve his skating enough to be able to be a dynamic playmaker capable slowing down the game?

"I hope so" wasn't a choice, so I voted "yes". Tonight's game was pretty cool. He handled the demotion with dignity and hopefully it will serve him well for year's to come. I'd like to see him get some time in AHL and NHL next year.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
It is the Coyotes we're talking about here, so he'll probably be traded for scraps and end up as a superstar on another team.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Far as I'm concerned we need more threads 'round here :P

Pretty slow these days and probably will be until the expansiondraft/draft. Unless you wanna do more Coach talk :snide:

To the actual question, I'm about 80% confident he'll be a 1 or 2c. Skating was one of his issues during his short cup of coffee but it wasn't the only one. Quickness in making decisions and shot release time. Also issues of keeping pucks away from pursuers along the boards and in the circles. A lot of those areas he can improve in (and hopefully has) without making great improvements skating wise. Though obviously a good number of those would be mitigated with more speed. But anyway he just has to be one of the several examples of quality NHLers lacking in raw speed. He's smart enough to be one.

Also I think he came into the last camp underprepared. It wasn't just in NHL action he looked outmatched despite putting up some points in the preseason. He was downright lazy looking and out of position during both development and rookie camp last year. I was hoping it was purely mental and that he could turn it on once he was around the higher quality players like Domi,Vrbata, Duclair, and Rieder. Didn't happen. He wasn't that sneaky scorer who looked invisible until he was in the slot and it was too late. Looked shell shocked.

I also didn't like the way Strome's short NHL time was handled, culminating in that disastrous overtime. The AHL kvetching has been said a million times already so I won't bother repeating it.

Hopefully his junior playoff run will snowball.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
To the actual question, I'm about 80% confident he'll be a 1 or 2c.

This where I'm at too. At worst I think he'll be a 2C, 50 point or so 2C. At best I hope I still think he could fullfill the comparison to Thornton and be 1C. A tier below McDavid, Eichel, Matthews but still very good. As a fan of the team I'm obviously biased, but I still think we can be one of the best teams in the league with Strome and Dvo as our centres. I could see one of our biggest rivals becoming Edmonton in a top heavy (Mcdavid/Drai) vs depth team matchup (Strome, Dvo, Domi, Keller etc)

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I still think barring serious injury he's at absolute minimum a 3C. I don't think he'll ever be a top 5 center, more like a low end 1C, but if Dvorak develops well that's a great one two punch.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He'll have to get past Dave Tippett first.

Look at how much Duclair has struggled because it takes DT 70 games to figure out Duclair plays well with skill players like Domi. Strome's first evaluation period was a joke. The team is probably going to be **** next year too, so I really don't want to see Keller and Strome scapegoated as the problem. The Coyotes are going to lose a lot so they may as well continue the education of the young players in the process. There's just one problem...

DT + loss = PANIC MODE. Shuffle the lines! Shuffle the roster! Throw Domingue under the bus! Inexplicably threaten trades after close wins, remain perfectly calm after devastatingly bad efforts!

Most players drafted cannot rise above poor coaching and development. They need the right situation and the right people around them. I'm not confident about that at the NHL level in Arizona.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Why the thread? Seriously. Is this knee jerk reaction to a 7 point game?

Not for me. I have said for two years he will be a special player for us. I still think he and Keller will end up being our best prospects. I believe Strome came to camp way over confident last year.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
My outlook hasn't changed from prior to his draft. His production will be sensitive to usage and linemates, but he should have a long stretch of being a very good (if not quite elite) top line two-way center. He has an advanced defensive game but will probably see limited penalty kill minutes as the style moves toward smaller, speedier breakaway threats, but he'll be a fixture on the powerplay (and can set up at the point, in the middle, behind the net, or along the boards). I'm expecting a lot of seasons in the 20-25 goal range, maybe cracking the 30-goal mark once or twice, with loads of assists. A typical season for him once he gets going should be in the mid-70s, but he could be a point-per-game player a few times. I don't see him contending for a Selke, but he'll be able to hold his own against top centers and will see the ice to defend late one-goal leads. In spite of his weaknesses, he's a very well-rounded player.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Attempting (probably unsuccessfully) to arrest the momentum of this OT binge (thanks to the usual suspects :sarcasm:)...

I think Strome, if he doesn't get dealt, does become an impact player. Speed and agility are so important in today's game, but the impact Strome will have is through his brain. We have so few truly SMART players on this team that his hockey sense is going to be a real asset... if the organization has the proper patience.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I expect Strome to take 2 seasons to establish himself in the NHL. Next year he will bounce back and forth between Tuscon and the Coyotes. Score about 30 points. He will get better in year 2 and year 3 will be a full time top 6 C.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I also think it will take Strome 2-3 more seasons before playing on the roster for a full season (due to his skills along with some coaching choices when he's playing). So, while I think he may make it at the NHL level, I'm not sure if the team will have the patience to stick with him.

I suppose it depends on whether it takes 2 or 3 seasons for him to improve enough. I'm kind of thinking it will take 3 seasons, so he'll probably end up being traded some time in the 2018-2019 season.

I hope I'm wrong of course...

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Attempting (probably unsuccessfully) to arrest the momentum of this OT binge (thanks to the usual suspects :sarcasm:)...

I think Strome, if he doesn't get dealt, does become an impact player. Speed and agility are so important in today's game, but the impact Strome will have is through his brain. We have so few truly SMART players on this team that his hockey sense is going to be a real asset... if the organization has the proper patience.

I wouldn't be surprised if he starts in the A next year. A lot of it will depend upon how much physical growth he makes this summer. But long term he's definitely got the potential to be an impact player.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I am concerned about Strome being a 1C or 2C. I think he has to be because he is not cut out to be a 3C. As a 1C/2C, he will draw tough matchups. As a 3C, he would need to be way better on D. If DVO doesn't make it as a 1C/2C, he can more easily be a 3C. I think Strome will be up and down a bit this year, depending on what other C's we pick up. If we pick up a vet 1C/2C, we will have DVO/Richardson, and that is our top 3C's. That will force Strome to play well enough to fill the 1C/2C role this year and move Richardson down to 4C.

I'm 50/50 on if Strome is any more than an average NHL player.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Strome's defensive game is pretty advanced if you actually watch him play. More footspeed would always be nice, but the positioning and the stick work is very good

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I sarcastically/cynically voted that we'd trade him before we found out because he's a talented player and we're the Coyotes so we're not allowed to have nice things.

Seriously though I think he'll be an impact player in the NHL and the worst case scenario is that he'll be at the very least a regular NHLer. I think we've been spoiled ("we" as in hockey fans in general) for a few years with several talented players being able to make an immediate impact in the NHL. Those guys are the exception to the rule, however, and Dylan Strome is actually taking a more or less normal development path to become NHL ready.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Strome's defensive game is pretty advanced if you actually watch him play. More footspeed would always be nice, but the positioning and the stick work is very good

Definitely very underrated defensively, especially as the second man in on the forecheck.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
He makes very quick descisions with the puck....so fast that lesser players are somewhat surprised.

Finally got to see him in action at the MC. And. For me that was the first thing that really stood out... Very quick thinking ... Tippett should like that..

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He's got great positioning, a long reach, and an extremely effectively disruptive stick. He loves to kill the other team's momentum, break up plays, and stifle the puck carrier.

He does it in his own way and he likes to instinctually roam. I'll often wonder what the hell he is thinking, only for him to prove me wrong a moment later. I think he'll drive an obey-at-all-costs systems coach insane.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
He's got great positioning, a long reach, and an extremely effectively disruptive stick. He loves to kill the other team's momentum, break up plays, and stifle the puck carrier.

Yup, he's not quite the normal puck carrier hounding forechecker but he's very effective still.

He does it in his own way and he likes to instinctually roam. I'll often wonder what the hell he is thinking, only for him to prove me wrong a moment later. I think he'll drive an obey-at-all-costs systems coach insane.

Lol I've done that before. "What the hell is he doing?" Oh he just forced a turnover.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

His hockey IQ is fantastic. He goes to where the puck will be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad