Does Clarkson's injury reinforce need for enforcer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Not necessarily in the lineup every game, but to keep them on the 23 man roster in case, another team is dressing an enforcer. Or should Caryle make it perfectly clear, like he did after the Clarkson injury, that it's better to just ignore the goons? So essentially making a rule of not fighting goons, or non-contributing hockey players?

Kessley Snipes*

Not necessarily in the lineup every game, but to keep them on the 23 man roster in case, another team is dressing an enforcer. Or should Caryle make it perfectly clear, like he did after the Clarkson injury, that it's better to just ignore the goons? So essentially making a rule of not fighting goons, or non-contributing hockey players?

No. There is no need for a dedicated enforcer in todays NHL. Play the game. No need for sideshows.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Don't fight the goon unless you are the goon.

Yes we need Colton Orr until someone more skilled and tougher comes onto our roster. Kinda obvious answer but said it anyway.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
No. It reinforces that they are even more useless.

We've dressed one of the last 10 years and we still get embarassed on the ice, in fights or on the scoresheet.

Sick and tired of the dinosaur rhetoric.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Absolutely not. McCormick won't be a regular for Buffalo and he also wouldn't drop em with Orr

The guy is a dinosaur no one will fight him and he's a waste of a roster spot

He goaded a non fighter like Weber into a fight last night and didn't even win. Sad state of affairs

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
No there is need for any enforcers in this league - and we should raise a voice against any kind of violence

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
sadly, clarkson got all that money in part because he fights, even though he sucks at it.

he is supposed to fight. that's what he's paid for.

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
Well... whether or not we have an enforcer is one thing. But the fact that we have 2 right now does not sit well with me at all. I'm not happy that we didn't cut McLaren today when you had guys like Carrick working their butts off.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
sadly, clarkson got all that money in part because he fights, even though he sucks at it.

he is supposed to fight. that's what he's paid for.

A+ for heart, on his part. Not for brains though. He's trying to put this past injury prone season behind him, might not be a good idea to get into meaningless fights, with opposing bubble pugilists.

Having said that, was Caryle sending out Orr to engage Mccormick? It was clear that McCormick wanted to fight, I didn't see it, did Orr offer to fight him?

I just think that regardless of the score, if your young players are being run, and your Captain is being tied up, then you give direct orders to your goon to go and wrap the guy up and make him fight you. Regardless of whether you get a penalty or not. It's only Preseason!

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
No. It reinforces that they are even more useless.

We've dressed one of the last 10 years and we still get embarassed on the ice, in fights or on the scoresheet.

Sick and tired of the dinosaur rhetoric.

Agreed. Adding a goon that plays 4-5 minutes a night does NOT make your lineup tougher.

To have a "tough" lineup, you need to have size/physicality throughout the lineup, down the middle, etc. Guys who play 18-25 minutes a night.

Just ignore other teams goon enforcers that can't play hockey. It does nothing for us to engage them. And Orr playing on the 4th line does nothing to "protect" Kessel on the 1st line, or Kadri on the 2nd line, or Rielly, etc.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I'm torn on this one. There are definitely some teams that we need a bit more grit than others, but really I don't see the Enforcer being that catalyst anymore. These days it's all about team toughness.

I do worry about our fighting abilities with Clarkson & Komarov both doing their thing. It's going to piss off a lot of players and we have no answer for the retaliation.

The team really needs Broll or Biggs to be ready. Orr isn't the answer in my honest opinion.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Well... whether or not we have an enforcer is one thing. But the fact that we have 2 right now does not sit well with me at all. I'm not happy that we didn't cut McLaren today when you had guys like Carrick working their butts off.

Carrick just scratched the surface of his offensive abilities in the AHL, no reason to rush him into the NHL. He'll get his chance, he's better off getting a leadership role, and getting more offensive confidence in the AHL, then playing 5 minutes a night in the NHL. Carrick is a late bloomer, he reminds me of Burrows. strong ECHL player to AHL, ok first AHL season, 2nd full AHL season, dominant. Then NHL. They play similar games too, Carrick plays with more of a chip on his shoulder though.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Clarkson isn't a heavyweight. He shouldn't be fighting fighters. He should be fighting Phaneuf level guys on other teams.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I'm torn on this one. There are definitely some teams that we need a bit more grit than others, but really I don't see the Enforcer being that catalyst anymore. These days it's all about team toughness.

I do worry about our fighting abilities with Clarkson & Komarov both doing their thing. It's going to piss off a lot of players and we have no answer for the retaliation.

The team really needs Broll or Biggs to be ready. Orr isn't the answer in my honest opinion.

Biggs is definitely not a better fighter than Polak or Clarkson... he'd be average at best in the NHL.

Broll is a good fighter, but he's again a little overmatched still at the NHL level. His fighting style leaves him way to vulnerable to get tagged. He needs one more year in the AHL, to better his offensive confidence and could use the year to really mature as a fighter.

Devane is the guy we needed to develop.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
A+ for heart, on his part. Not for brains though. He's trying to put this past injury prone season behind him, might not be a good idea to get into meaningless fights, with opposing bubble pugilists.

Having said that, was Caryle sending out Orr to engage Mccormick? It was clear that McCormick wanted to fight, I didn't see it, did Orr offer to fight him?

I just think that regardless of the score, if your young players are being run, and your Captain is being tied up, then you give direct orders to your goon to go and wrap the guy up and make him fight you. Regardless of whether you get a penalty or not. It's only Preseason!

Bang on.

Fight only if you have to, and again, only when the games mean something.

This is pre-season. Clarkson isn't being graded on how well he punches meat bags. He needs to show he can score, play responsibly, and lead by example. Hopefully the time missed is minimal, and he learns from the experience.

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
Carrick just scratched the surface of his offensive abilities in the AHL, no reason to rush him into the NHL. He'll get his chance, he's better off getting a leadership role, and getting more offensive confidence in the AHL, then playing 5 minutes a night in the NHL. Carrick is a late bloomer, he reminds me of Burrows. strong ECHL player to AHL, ok first AHL season, 2nd full AHL season, dominant. Then NHL. They play similar games too, Carrick plays with more of a chip on his shoulder though.

Okay sure. I'm really not mad about Carrick being cut at face value. But rather I'm more concerned that McLaren is still here. Just don't get it. We were supposed to make a change in philosophy from last year. Play 4 scoring lines management said. We don't need 2 goons still hanging around in camp. You keep Carrick around until the last cuts and you send a strong message that work ethic gets you farther than punching someones face in. I never thought Carrick would crack the opening night roster by any means.

PureTruculence

Jan 23, 2014

Orr was not dressed for that game, which I think is why Clarkson ended up fighting him. I also think that's why McCormick was running around all game cause he was the toughest guy on the ice and knew it.

Last night is a perfect example of how to utilize Orr. Enforcing 101. Weber put out Tallinder, cross-checked Nylander and then got into with Kessel. The very next faceoff Orr forces him to fight and own up to his antics. That was great to see.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Orr was not dressed for that game, which I think is why Clarkson ended up fighting him. I also think that's why McCormick was running around all game cause he was the toughest guy on the ice and knew it.

Last night is a perfect example of how to utilize Orr. Enforcing 101. Weber put out Tallinder, cross-checked Nylander and then got into with Kessel. The very next faceoff Orr forces him to fight and own up to his antics. That was great to see.

Yea, but you can't take a 2 minute minor at the same time. Especially knowing how much this team has struggled on the PK for years.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
80% of Leaf fans on HFboards reaction to Colton Orr and/or Frazer McLaren being inserted into the lineup:

baby-crying.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad