Does Carter deserve to have 77 retired?

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
The answer is no, but he deserves his flowers like Williams and Martinez. There's a lot of players on those cup teams that deserve legends nights and he's near the top.

I think if he played the remainder of his career here in LA I think a case could be made. Just unfortunate the team had a dramatic downturn when it did.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
77 should be a very safe number.

Carts was great, and an even better fit for the roster at the time…

But no.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I’d love for the kings to have a ring of honor type thing. Guys like Carter and Hrudey and Williams would be in there. Players who were Kings legends but not at the level of someone to get their numbers retired.
Carter should definitely be part of a legends night. But I would be completely okay with future players wearing 77 - Jesse's criteria is basically mine as well.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Carter has scored the 14th-most points in Kings history, two more points than Alex Frolov. He absolutely deserves a legends night and he was a pivotal piece of the championship teams, but there's really no reason to retire his jersey. Congrats to him in retirement, this is what getting old feels like.

parrotdude

Dec 16, 2007
Contrarian vote for Yes.

We should recognize the players that were key to the Kings getting the Stanley Cup. For me, that was Kopi, Carter, Brown, Doughty and Quick.

Carter played a 200 ft game, played Power Play, and Penalty Kill
(even during regular season. How many elite players do that?), scored timely goals, was back checking, Everything to win the Cup.

He was able to elevate the play of his teammates. Regardless of who was on it, it seemed like his line was always an offensive threat, He made Lucic look like an offensive force his year as a King.

Media referred to #11 and 77 as the Kings' 1A/1B centers.

I think that there is a slight bias not to fully appreciate his accomplishments on this boards because he wasn't a Kings prospect. If he was, I think the majority would vote the other way.

In short, he was vital to the team winning, not individual accolades.

Edit: missed Brown as the Cup core

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghetty Green

Brownie to Pancakes

Jul 1, 2012
CA
There are plenty of players like that, every winning team has several in their history, and it certainly does not elevate to the level of a jersey retirement. Coming from a huge carts fan

Reactions: 21Dog

parrotdude

Dec 16, 2007
There are plenty of players like that, every winning team has several in their history, and it certainly does not elevate to the level of a jersey retirement. Coming from a huge carts fan
I would whole-heartedly agree with you if it was just a hot streak in one playoffs.

Just my honest opinion. Best equivalent I can come up with is Hossa's jersey retirement in Chicago.

Last edited:

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I would whole-heartedly agree with you if it was just a hot streak in one playoffs.

Just my honest opinion. Best equivalent I can come up with is Hossa's jersey retirement in Chicago.

If Carter had retired a King, then this might be a different story. Hossa retired a Hawk. They’re definitely comparable though.

21Dog

Mar 29, 2007
Tulare, Ca
I usually agree with you Sol, but as others pointed out, Quick is a given unless he declines.
I would also give him a statue and a concession and sexual maneuver naked after him
Would the blocker to Perry's boys be considered a sexual maneuver?

• Love
Reactions: Lt Dan

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Potentially?! What is "potential" about retiring #32 (unless he turns down the honor himself)?

I usually agree with you Sol, but as others pointed out, Quick is a given unless he declines.
I would also give him a statue and a concession and sexual maneuver naked after him
I think he might potentially decline the offer imo if the accounts of him being super pissed is true

Reactions: FrozenKing18

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
I feel that if Carts were never traded, and he had finished his career in LA, he would’ve had a higher chance of getting his jersey retired.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I think he might potentially decline the offer imo if the accounts of him being super pissed is true
I feel like he'll realize it's more for the fans who never stopped loving him than for the management who made the decision to trade him, or at least I hope he would.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad