News Article: Does Bruins Cassidy Deserve The Jack Adams Award?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Ladies and Gents,

My latest effort:

Does Bruins Cassidy Deserve The Jack Adams Award?

I think Cassidy is a victim of the idea that the Bruins were good under Clode and now they are good under him, ignoring the differences in style and the lineup.

As usual, let me know what you think, constructive criticism is always welcome.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Good article Joe. I think Cassidy deserves the Adams but he won't win it. There is too great a perception outside the club that the Bruins roster is even better than it really is, and that this, our top line, goalies and the work done to develop the squad before Bruce arrived (as you mentioned) account for a large part of his success. These ideas blind people to just what a great job Cassidy has done this season and just how tough it was to take an aging core and a roster with perpetual secondary scoring issues out of the exhaustion and intense disappointment of a game 7 cup loss and turn it into the undisputed best team in the league for (almost) an entire season despite a number of key players suffering periods of illness or injury.

I don't think he's the only deserving candidate, but he's the best or very close to it.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I wish he would show more emotion at times but he is clearly very intelligent and well spoken which fits well with the Bruins.

Well written.

Just once in awhile I'd like to see him completely lose it at the refs. Doesn't use time-outs enough either IMO. But overall he's the right coach for this team doing a very good job since he was hired.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Thanks for the feedback.

If I had to guess, I would say that Cassidy doesn’t win. Too many people like the flavor of the month, so coaches that do a really nice job every year (like Cassidy, Cooper, etc) take a back seat to the coach that has one great, unexpected year or loudmouths like Tortorella.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Definitely deserves to be in the conversation, and is a fantastic coach. Will he win it? Who knows. Probably not, especially since the award probably has a lot more to do with reputation and narrative than actual coaching ability. More often than not it will go to the mediocre coach whose team improved from the last season due to a variety of other factors, like a career year of goaltending and a healthy dose of shooting luck.

However, it is always a possibility when you are coaching a successful team, and Cassidy is certainly doing that in Boston. I think he has one of the best defensive system's in the NHL, and while his offensive tactics probably don't help the team to the same extent, they have enough individual scoring talent and depth that it doesn't really inhibit them from winning at all.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I don't think he'll win it but I think he should be considered.

He had a tough act to follow, replacing a Cup-winning coach who was the franchise leader in wins. To be honest I didn't know what to expect but I think he's done a fantastic job overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad