Does Bernier accept invite to World Championships?

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Bernier is ranked 47th in the NHL in Save percentage and 60th among NHL goaltenders in GAA.
Yes, he has played on a weak Toronto team, but Bernier has no other starting NHL goaltender record other than his time in Toronto. as he was a backup in L.A.
What do you think Shanhan and Nonis will offer Bernier?

Let him walk,

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
His outing tonight was downright embarrassing. 3 goals on 4 shots, .250 save percentage.
Bernier has not had a lot of help, but he has let in some softies lately too. He's not doing his contract negotiations any favours. His agent must be "Palm facing" a lot lately.

Leafs winning .pct in their last 40 games

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Leafs winning .pct in their last 40 games

Leafs also lead the league in allowing the first goal and most poignantly the most goals given up on the very first shot, Bernier is guilty on most of those

It has to be deflating to a team to seemingly always be digging themselves out of a hole, not to mention it lowers your chance of winning that particular game.

Bernier has in no way established himself as a #1 NHL goaltender in his short 105 games started with the Leafs

Everybody wants to lay the blame at the feet of the coach, the D or the forwards

What is plain and hopefully plain to the management group as well, is that Bernier has not earned a contract befitting an NHL starter, hopefully they don't give him anything resembling one if indeed they decide to keep him and make an offer. Simply put if it were my choice I would be moving him and keeping Reimer to go through the rebuild and what is very likely an ugly next 3 or so years.

back to the topic

unless the first 5 guys turn down the invitation, then Bernier will not be getting an invite

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Bernier is ranked 47th in the NHL in Save percentage and 60th among NHL goaltenders in GAA.
Yes, he has played on a weak Toronto team, but Bernier has no other starting NHL goaltender record other than his time in Toronto. as he was a backup in L.A.

Try only counting goalies with 20 or more starts and then see where his stats rate.

I'm looking at the hockey news goalie stat list right now and I think you are off a bit or you are counting guys with one or two games which isn't worth much and even then this does not look right, there are just too many other big name goalies with the same or lower save percentage.

2.87 goals against is quite respectable for facing the most shots in the league.

You are not having very realistic expectations.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
He has no history of "winning" other than as a backup. Winning being carrying your team to the playoffs and competing in them in my books. And that statement "a one game sample isn't a very strong position" can be uttered after every one game. He was soft in Vancouver the other night too. His record since January would be a bigger sample which wouldn't be flattering--Win-Losses particularly.

I'm not piling on Bernier--as I said I think he has potential but it doesn't do him favours to sugar coat bad play. And his mental game has been poor from the outset of the season; it's a big part of goaltending. Exaggerated? Perhaps, that's sort of a grey area. Luckily this is something that can be fixed.

Before joining the NHL Bernier won everything, world juniors , Calder cup etc.

You guys are looking at his poor play the last couple games and are remembering it as if his whole season was like this. The whole team has a cloud over it's head and why everyone is trying to point fingers at one or two players is beyond me.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Reimer played well tonight. Bernier didn't. Reimer is better mentally than Bernier. I agree on all other aspects of what you said, except the glove-side. Bernier's glove side has been getting picked off these past few months and Reimer's is better this year than previous years. The two are comparable.

All other comparisons are pointless since Bernier gets more starts and see's more game time. That automatically gives Bernier a leg up.

There is so many things wrong with your post..

DesertHombre

Oct 10, 2013
The stats Ranking I quoted was from NHL dot com.
And if I were to take only the goalies who started 20 games or more Bernier still ranks 35th in the NHL in GAA And Bernier is 29th among NHL goaltenders who have plaed 20 games or more in save percentage.
When Bernier was initially picked up by the Leafs it was thought that perhaps he could steal a few games,
last night was an example of just the opposite. Bernier has let more than a few soft shots in and also a few first shot of the game goals in. He does not seem unfazed by the pressure, in fact for all the crap Reimer has taken, it could be argued that Reimer has reacted better under pressure.
Bernier was a calculated gamble when he was brought in from L.A. Let's not forget what a good defensive team L.A. Is and that when he got starts there (as a backup), he had the likes of Drew Doughty, the best NHL Defenseman at his disposal.

Durkin67

Not convinced he would even be invited with his poor play this season, but does he risk an injury and accept, or turn down hoping nonis hands out another goofey contract despite his weak performance.

I think he would accept, and let other teams see what he is capable of with a better team. I think he gets traded and they roll with Reimer. The Leafs don't need an overpriced goaltender while the team rebuilds from the basement.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Based on performance I don't expect Bernier to get and invite to the WC.

On the other hand I don't think Bernier or his agent will accept even if he did.. Bernier will be a RFA this summer without a contract for next year and he is risking injury which could hamper him financially going forward even more.

DesertHombre

Oct 10, 2013
"Stats Sundin" might want to check out NHL dot com. Read the actual stats and rankings showing all the NHL goalies. Bernier is a mid to lower mid range goalie. He is a gamble as a starter and if the Leafs sign him as a starter at a starters salary, there may be regrets. They brought Bernier in with the hopes he could steal a few games and take the team to the play offs. Bernier has lost as many games as he has stolen. Last night he lost the game. His two seasons with the Leafs have been, "OK, just OK".

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

that's only when you include goalies like Mazanec(2), Skapski(2), McCollum(2) and a bunch of other goalies with limited playing time, he's 26th among goalie's whose played 30+ games. and when you play for the Leafs it's not a surprise his GAA is among the worst... when you basically get no support your going to let in a lot of goals.

Reimer played well tonight. Bernier didn't. Reimer is better mentally than Bernier. I agree on all other aspects of what you said, except the glove-side. Bernier's glove side has been getting picked off these past few months and Reimer's is better this year than previous years. The two are comparable.

All other comparisons are pointless since Bernier gets more starts and see's more game time. That automatically gives Bernier a leg up.

how is Reimer better mentally? wasn't he the guy last year who got rattled by his coach simply stating that he was "Just ok"?

WHorse

Jan 24, 2012
"Stats Sundin" might want to check out NHL dot com. Read the actual stats and rankings showing all the NHL goalies. Bernier is a mid to lower mid range goalie. He is a gamble as a starter and if the Leafs sign him as a starter at a starters salary, there may be regrets. They brought Bernier in with the hopes he could steal a few games and take the team to the play offs. Bernier has lost as many games as he has stolen. Last night he lost the game. His two seasons with the Leafs have been, "OK, just OK".

Bernier lost the game last night, which goal again did he have any chance on. Bernier and Reimer see shots in one game that other goalies see in 10. The goalies are the least of the worries for Toronto, how about they concentrate on fixing that defense and teach them how to block shots, instead of letting the other teams have clear shots and breakaways all game.

DesertHombre

Oct 10, 2013
Reimer has been thrown under the bus more times than most goaltenders experience in a lifetime. Jonathon Bernier has, so far, received a free ride in that department. Even the Leaf's coach let him off the hook for letting in 3 goals on 4 shots, by saying they weren't Bernier's fault. Two of the shots were almost identical from a ways out and the fact they caught the top corner says that Bernier should have cut the angle off better.
IMO Bernier has not proven anything in the two years he's been a Leaf "starter". Bernier is a RFA this summer and if I were GM of the Leafs I would be very careful about giving Bernier a big money, long term contract. There are a lot of goalies out there that are just as good and goalies are always on the market for cheap.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
So Leafs at the WC?

Rielly-Canada
Kadri-Canada
Komarov-Finland
Panik-Slovakia
Gardiner-USA

Doubt Bernier or Reimer get invited unless a bunch of goalies say no. JVR Kessel and Phaneuf probably say no too.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Bernier is a much better goalie than he is able to show on this team. The have no defense. Once again same old argument - put him on a play-off team and he will be good.

But he will never be a Carey Price or Jonathon quick. Because of his size he can't afford the type of mental let-downs he is experiencing right now. Miller played horribly his last year in Buffalo too.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The dilemna.

Does he even want to stay? To play like this, with no real body of work to negotiate a raise with is dangerous. More and more one has to wonder, if he will even be back. If this is a true rebuild(gulp) you can only dream how bad that defense will be for years, and Bernier may not really be a number one guys.How many hot then cold goalies have we seen?

Someone said let him walk, and they may right.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I would expect Bernier will be on the team (unless he is worried about his pending RFA status - he might not want to risk injury when he doesn't have a contract for next season).

It all depends who else is available and willing to go.

Everybody keeps mentioned Luogon, but I highly doubt he will play in the World Championships. He's in his 30s and has been on the Olympic team the past few times. Although there is nothing formal about who gets an invite and who goes, veteran guys with Luongo's profile generally (not always) turn down the invitation later in their career to give younger guys a chance.

Canada's goalies last year I believe were Reimer and Scrivens. Even though other, older and more experienced goalies were available.

The interesting one to watch will be Dion Phaneuf. He has gone in past years. He has a contract and might get an invite. Curious to see if wants to go to try and salvage something out of this season.

Also wondering if Kessel and JVR will go for the USA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad