Does Babs play possum in the regular season?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
There is a huge difference in how our breakouts look. Patient, close support from forwards, layered options. Our d-men often get the puck, wait for an actual way-winning play to open up as forwards come up to the middle, and it's not just the first guy that has options. It's often the second player as well. I don't know how many times our d-men has made a short pass to a center who have then been able to use a winger or the other d-man to back off the forecheck. In all our wins, they have been unable to catch us.

Most surprising of all, Hainsey has been a damn wizard at this. He's pretty much been the team master of short, effective passes to throw off the forecheck. Where on earth did that come from?

he sacrificed a goat.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
No, he made some dumb lineup choices end of game 4. He’s still the same guy. The team is playing better knowing what’s on the line.

Reactions: AreBe

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Let's see how we do today before drawing so many conclusions about playing possum. So much of the playoffs is peaking at the right time and when Boston was going on an absolute tear I had my fingers crossed they were spending all their NOS on the regular season. Hope this is definitely the case and we blow them out of the water this afternoon.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
Speaking of Babcock.......

With Yserman as the new GM of the Wings, and some of the very low key things I have just heard, do you think we could see a bold move made in the offseason?

Perhaps a Babcock move back to Detroit and a Sheldon Keefe promotion to head coach of the Leafs?

Just putting it out there for some discussion, is all.

Reactions: hullsy47

sanfordn

Oct 14, 2017

With Yserman as the new GM of the Wings, and some of the very low key things I have just heard, do you think we could see a bold move made in the offseason?

Perhaps a Babcock move back to Detroit and a Sheldon Keefe promotion to head coach of the Leafs?

Just as likely as Tim Horton playing today against the Bruins.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Have you noticed that Gards is just about the only guy who relies on the stretch pass now? I think Z and Gards were a bad combo because of his stretch passes and Z's non ability to make a long pass at all. Now that Z has a guy who can actually stop the cycle and make a short outlet pass..we see a different Z. The rest of the D bought in to the short pass concept except for Gards...he is still playing like its Nov. and it shows in his ice time being so low. He might be hurting as well...but this style of play is what we all wanted from Dec. onward.
I actually think having Gardiner go down helped the team. Forwards had to learn to get back and help dig out or be there for easier outlets then expecting the defense to always provide tape-to-tape outlet passes. You see someone like Dermott going from having 9 giveaways in last year's playoffs to 1 so far this year. Polak had 9 giveaways in the playoffs, but how much harder was it for him then it would of been this season? I think the Leaf forwards are doing a better job and the defense, which has been crucified for a long time, is looking better because of it.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Babcock has repeatedly noted the utility of learning from mistakes and working out the kinks in the regular season.

Repeatedly.

Reactions: DarkKnight

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
Look at Tampa... What's the point of having a spectacular regular reason when everyone is praising your historic point total.... And then you get bounced in 4 in the most embarrassing way possible.

Babcock certainly has his flaws as a coach, as does every coach. However, he always keeps his eye on the Prize -- the playoffs. He knows that success in the postseason is all that matters in the end and plans ahead during the regular season to give us the best success.

Edit: Do people forget about 2 years ago vs the caps? From last place to the playoffs and look how we competed with the capitals in that series. A bunch of rookies and we were 1 OT goal away from forcing a game seven with a team that would later become champs the following year.

He knows how to prepare his teams for the postseason.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
you mean the elite coach didnt make his players kill themselves in the long 82 game season, so theyd be fresh and prepped for the playoffs? shocker.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I heard only if Babcock gets fired
i live in the detroit market ,they want more than consecutive 1st round exits

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I never said he was playing possum, I said he knows what he is doing. He coaches the regular season and individual players a certain way, to win in the playoffs.
The title of the thread asks...............is Babs playing possum, reg season vs the playoffs.

Good luck in game 7

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
You’re assuming he’s smart enough to play possum. I don’t think he is. Limit player minutes during the season to prepare them for the playoffs, fine. But then double shift them in a critical game 6 instead of playing an ineffective Patrick frikken Marleau the 4th most minutes when you’re trying to win a series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad