Does anyone remember why attendance was so poor in previous Canada Cups? (but not 1976)

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I guess upon closer review I notice this again, even when you think of one of the greatest games of all-time, the Canada/Russia semi-final in 1984, there were empty seats in the Saddledome in Calgary. Team Canada playing their hated rivals, in Canada, and it wasn't even a full house? On the Bossy goal you can see some empty seats. Crazy.

But this was a theme in 1981, 1984 and 1987. It was better in 1987 because Hamilton really embraced Team Canada and was chomping at the bit for a team, even then.

1976 attendance was great, even in games without Canada. My guess is that with the success of 1972 and the Super Series in 1976 with classic games the Red Army played against NHL teams that interest was high in 1976. The Soviets had arrived. Why wasn't this the case 5 years later? In 1981 it was packed with Canada/Russia games, both of them. Plus Canada's semi-final vs. the US. In 1987 though Canada's semi vs. the Czechs which was a bit of a scary match up (Canada was down 2-0 until the middle of the game) only had 10,200 people at the Forum, far from capacity.

My main guess is that we were over-saturated with international hockey. The Soviets were no strangers with the Red Army playing against NHL teams by then. It wasn't unusual. The Challenge Cup played to capacity in MSG in 1979 and Rendez Vous played to capacity in Quebec City in 1987 (I can't remember why it was only two games in 1987).

Did the pricing have anything to do with this? I know that was the big problem in 2017 with the WJC in Montreal. They basically priced the fans out of coming to the games, which was sad. I am trying to remember why so many of the early Canada Cup games were so poorly received.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I've always wondered this, too.

I mean, Calgary in 1984 had around 600,000 people, but spread over a huge area. Probably half that many within easy driving distance of the Saddledome. Still, shouldn't be a problem to fill the building for such a big game...?

Reactions: Vanzig

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I am also going to throw in the fact that the marketing maybe wasn't up to par? Eagleson ran all of these tournaments. Begrudgingly like it or not people have to admit he did a good job organizing them but maybe the cities didn't give their "A" game promoting it?

I guess another thing that comes to mind is that there was really just the Soviets as the enemy back then. I get the feeling an 8 game series against the Soviets would draw the same type of attention as back in 1972. Maybe a game against Finland and other countries wasn't as attractive. Other sports weren't doing this then. There was no "Dream Team" in the NBA until 1992. Baseball didn't have its first best on best until 2006. Football still has never done it and never will I doubt. It was a knew thing in sports to have a bunch of countries at their best competing in a sport outside of the Olympics. Certainly not pros.

There was a booklet in 1981 promoting the Canada Cup and I thought they did a good job of it. Funny looking back at it now but there was a lot of anxiety even in that magazine of how tough of a time Canada might have against the Soviets.

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
I remember watching some of the 87 games on DVD a couple years back, and some games had 10k or fewer people in attendance. Pretty crazy to think that we had some of the greatest hockey ever, and places were half empty.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I remember watching some of the 87 games on DVD a couple years back, and some games had 10k or fewer people in attendance. Pretty crazy to think that we had some of the greatest hockey ever, and places were half empty.
Were those preliminary games, or games not involving Canada? I seem to remember the Canada games being quite packed out, but not sure...

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
At least 2 of the non-Canada round-robin games in the 1987 Canada Cup had to be relocated due to poor ticket sales.

The Soviet Union - Czechoslovakia game (Aug 31), which was originally scheduled for Calgary, and the Sweden - Czechoslovakia game (Sept 2), which was originally scheduled for Ottawa, were both shifted to Regina.

The Agridome in Regina had a capacity of only 5,477.

It appears most of the non-Canada games attracted little interest...the USA - Sweden game drew a crowd of only 4,474 in Hamilton.

Last edited:

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
I remember being at the Saddledome in Calgary for a regulation round Canada Cup game (game one) in 1987, Canada vs. Czechs. We got choice seats for a very reasonable price to see one of the greatest teams ever assembled play in possibly the best tournament of all-time. Maybe 12,000 or so (?) in attendance. Later that September paid about double to see a Jets-Flames exhibition from the rafters which was soldout. I still don't understand it and it is no surprise to me that people are still talking about it the same type of thing 30 years later. I have no explanation.

My Best-Carey

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
At least 2 of the non-Canada preliminary games in the 1987 Canada Cup had to be relocated due to poor ticket sales.

The Soviet Union - Czechoslovakia game (Aug 31), which was originally scheduled for Calgary, and the Sweden - Czechoslovakia game (Sept 2), which was originally scheduled for Ottawa, were both shifted to Regina.

The Agridome in Regina had a capacity of only 5,477.

It appears most of the non-Canada games attracted little interest...the USA - Sweden game drew a crowd of only 4,474 in Hamilton.

To add to this, there was a Canada exhibition game in 1987 in Sydney, Nova Scotia. Population around 30,000 and arena capacity 5,000. I don't think it sold out. Canada did unleash the famous line of Wendel Clark - Wayne Gretzky - Mario Lemieux in that game though.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
I remember being at the Saddledome in Calgary for a regulation round Canada Cup game (game one) in 1987, Canada vs. Czechs. We got choice seats for a very reasonable price to see one of the greatest teams ever assembled play in possibly the best tournament of all-time. Maybe 12,000 or so (?) in attendance. Later that September paid about double to see a Jets-Flames exhibition from the rafters which was soldout. I still don't understand it and it is no surprise to me that people are still talking about it the same type of thing 30 years later. I have no explanation.

My Best-Carey
Yeah, in the late '80s and early '90s, the Flames had over 17,000 season tickets (if I remember correctly), which was the maximum available, and I think a waiting list of over 7,000. It was crazy. Can't remember but I assume the oil economy was very good at that time. And of course, the Flames were very good too.

Toronto has often been similar to what you describe in Calgary. Outside of the Leafs, there has often been little interest, especially compared to smaller cities.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
To add to this, there was a Canada exhibition game in 1987 in Sydney, Nova Scotia. Population around 30,000 and arena capacity 5,000. I don't think it sold out. Canada did unleash the famous line of Wendel Clark - Wayne Gretzky - Mario Lemieux in that game though.
There were also some round-robin games in Cape Breton. I think they were all non-Canada games.

Gretzky, Lemieux, Wendel...I didn't know there was ever such a line. Sounds like an exciting combo.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
There were also some round-robin games in Cape Breton. I think they were all non-Canada games.

Gretzky, Lemieux, Wendel...I didn't know there was ever such a line. Sounds like an exciting combo.

Sydney is in Cape Breton. There was a Canada game there, strangely enough, and Clark received the biggest cheer of everyone.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Sydney is in Cape Breton. There was a Canada game there, strangely enough, and Clark received the biggest cheer of everyone.
Yes, I know Cape Breton very well. The "also" I used was regarding round-robin games versus the exhibition game. At least 3 round-robin games were there, and the Canada game, as you mentioned, would have been an exhibition game, as Wendel didn't play any round-robin games.

I'm not surprised to hear Wendel received the biggest cheer. He was incredibly popular.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Yes, I know Cape Breton very well. The "also" I used was regarding round-robin games versus the exhibition game. At least 3 round-robin games were there, and the Canada game, as you mentioned, would have been an exhibition game, as Wendel didn't play any round-robin games.

I'm not surprised to hear Wendel received the biggest cheer. He was incredibly popular.

Yeah my mistake there grammatically. The exhibition was pat of the roster decision process as cuts (other than just Clark) were made afterward. I think that Patrick Roy played part of that game but I am not certain. Hextall was the other goalie. Regarding the purpose of the thread, the crowd for some of the 2003 WJC game (same arena) between USA and Russia in the preliminary round was bigger.

Reactions: Staniowski

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Went to a couple of 1984 Canada Cup prelim games in Montreal.

Soviets vs. Czechs one night, Canada vs. U.S. next night.

Ordered cheapest seats during the summer and, being in the U.S., was surprised to get them. Figured these games would be sold out for sure. Shocked to find a half-empty Forum for the first game, even more shocked to see much less than a sellout for Canada-U.S.

Of interest was the contrast in games. Soviets-Czech game was played in less than two hours. Almost void of offsides & icings. Canada-U.S. in over 3 three hours. Scrums after nearly every one of the many whistles.

PurpleMouse

Apr 27, 2014
What's funny is that when the World Cup happened a lot of posters dumped on the lack of interest because of how gimmicky it was, but when you look back at the Canada Cup as seen here, it wasn't always as popular as remembered.

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
Did the pricing have anything to do with this? I know that was the big problem in 2017 with the WJC in Montreal. They basically priced the fans out of coming to the games, which was sad. I am trying to remember why so many of the early Canada Cup games were so poorly received.

From a thread about the '84 Canada Cup:

Tickets were overpriced.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=E3ZkAAAAIBAJ&sjid=yX4NAAAAIBAJ&pg=5726,3392459

Adjusted for inflation the $28.25 for lower bowl seating at the Saddledome would ('only') be about $56.50 today, but at that time that was a lot of money to ask for a hockey ticket.

The most expensive ticket to a Habs game at the Forum in 1984 was $22.00. The cheap seats were $8. If you were asked to pay $300 for a ticket to a Canada Cup game today you might balk too.

Reactions: Big Phil

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
What's funny is that when the World Cup happened a lot of posters dumped on the lack of interest because of how gimmicky it was, but when you look back at the Canada Cup as seen here, it wasn't always as popular as remembered.

The World Cup in 2016 was gimmicky though. The early Canada Cups were not. The teams hated each other in the Canada Cups, there was passion. As other posters have pointed out, after 1976 the problem was likely based on skyrocketing ticket prices which led to empty seats. People just pay whatever nowadays and the sad thing is the leagues know this. In 1984 though, it just wasn't acceptable. If you told a person in 1984 that in 2018 the Super Bowl's cheapest seats would be around $3000 they wouldn't have believed you. This was part of the problem with the Canada Cups early on. Once international hockey took off they exploited it with the prices.

None of the reasons for the empty seats had to do with lack of passion or a low level of play. That much I always knew. I wanted to go to the World Cup in Toronto in 2016 but the prices were atrocious. The thing is, nowadays we are just used to paying an arm and a leg...........in 1984, not so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad