Does anyone else, find this as funny as I do? (playoff officiating)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
ive always found it dumb that they don't call it the same way all season.

It makes the over the glass penalty so much worse then it should be because it is maybe the only infraction they enforce properly.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
"Playoff Officiating" cost the Canucks two Stanley Cups.

In 2011, definitely. That, along with injuries. Nashville, San Jose, Boston, and Philadelphia were the 4 most physical teams that year, and we ended up playing 3 of those teams.
In 2012, the only team that was capable of stopping us under a full healthy roster was the team we played in the first round that year (and for the first few games, we were without Daniel).

Games 3, 4, and 5 against the Bruins in 2011 were an absolute joke.

Ironically enough, Game 5 was one of the worst officiated and biased games in NHL history and yet the Canucks managed to win 1-0 somehow (thanks to some off-the-charts defensive play and goaltending). To Boston's credit however, Games 6 and 7 were called fairly evenly (my guess is that after the Boychuk hit on Raymond, the refs decided that enough was enough, in terms of getting back at the Canucks' for Burrows' antics).

Games 4, 5, and 6 against Chicago in 2011 were also incredibly biased, since Pat Kane and Jonathan Toews are the NHL's 'darlings' (2nd fiddle to only Crosby).

However - the series' against LA in 2012 and San Jose in 2013 takes the cake in my view.....especially the San Joe 2013 series. Any attempt at the Canucks playing a physical style was penalized right away, whereas LA and San Jose were pretty much allowed to run amock (which then gave birth to the notion that the Canucks were being physically man-handled).

I didn't have too much of an issue with the Calgary series in 2015, but did find it strange that Michael Ferlund was allowed to take 4-5 strides towards a Canuck player in an attempt to belt him. #Charging?

My guess is that the Canucks were being punished against Boston due to the refs mishandling of the Burrows' situation in Game 1. I suspect that the LA and San Jose series' in 2012 and 2013 were officiated in that way to punish the Canucks for their diving in 2011 (I will concede that they dove quite a bit in 2011), along with possibly punishing the fans' for rioting. That's the only explanation I have for such terribly biased officiating during those years.

Last edited:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
playoff officiating is a complete joke. There is no way the rules should change so drastically from the regular season to the playoffs.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
playoff officiating is a complete joke. There is no way the rules should change so drastically from the regular season to the playoffs.

Sadly, this will never change. Refs don't want to be responsible for "deciding the game", or some bull crap like that.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
2013 against san jose was one of the most disgusting things ive ever had to witness as a fan, it's sad that it was swept under the rug by the national media.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
2013 against san jose was one of the most disgusting things ive ever had to witness as a fan, it's sad that it was swept under the rug by the national media.

It legitimately was the first time I pondered the idea of a team filing charges against a league, or even a civil suit against a specific referee (Kelly Sutherland). After the Marchand/Sedin incident in 2011, the idea of hunting down Sutherland actually crossed my mind. Not serious thoughts mind you, but the idea of it did enter my mind for like 10-15 seconds.

xtr3m

Jan 28, 2009
Vancouver
I'm not sure if I can feel anger anymore.

They will change it when Benning is finished building the toughest "playoff style" team of all time.

A legitimate concern. The officiating not only cost Canucks at least one Cup, but also put the organization in a direction that's proving to be self-destructing and will take a lot of time to recover from. Can we hire Gillis back Carlyle-style?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I'm not sure if I can feel anger anymore.

A legitimate concern. The officiating not only cost Canucks at least one Cup, but also put the organization in a direction that's proving to be self-destructing and will take a lot of time to recover from. Can we hire Gillis back Carlyle-style?

Agreed. Even Gillis went on record stating that after 2011, a mistake they made was in 'chasing goal-posts' (i.e. trying to get bigger and grittier, as opposed to preserving their style that was almost a complete success). Sure, they could've made a few adjustments to becoming bigger/grittier, but they didn't need to re-write the book.

From 1994-2006, the Redwings were my 2nd favorite team. Before they became a dynasty from 1997-2008, I saw the Redwings experience some significant growing pains. They choked in the playoffs against San Jose in 1994 1st round, and then got absolutely spanked by the Devils in the 1995 finals (i.e. physically man-handled, and trapped to death). In 1996, they got out-classed by the Avs.

In all of those defeats however, the Redwings maintained their identity of being a skilled team. They made a few adjustments in becoming grittier, but for the most part, their bread and butter was still skill. After McCarty beat the living monkey piss out of Claude Lemieux, the Wings ripped the torch out of the Avs' hands and went on to win 4 cups in 11 years.

vannuckles

DieBettmanDie
Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island B.C

That was disgusting.....weren't the penalties 24 for Van and 10 for San Jose?

Daniel Sedin was sent off for boarding Tommy Wingels, and he got a game misconduct penalty after the game for abusive language.

Because we all know how dirty Daniel is ;)

Vancouver was outplaying San Jose 5on5 that series....so they had to shut us down. The NHL could have TRIED to make it look a little more realistic, by letting us win at least two games.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011

Daniel Sedin was sent off for boarding Tommy Wingels, and he got a game misconduct penalty after the game for abusive language.

Vancouver was outplaying San Jose 5on5 that series....so they had to shut us down. The NHL could have TRIED to make it look a little more realistic, by letting us win at least two games.

The reffing was a disgrace.

Still, we lead in 3 of the 4 games. Should've been able to win at least one.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
The reffing was a disgrace.

Still, we lead in 3 of the 4 games. Should've been able to win at least one.

Agreed with this.

We can complain about the reffing all we want, but the Canucks mental fragileness was also to blame. Even against LA the previous year, the Canucks were leading in most of the games (I think Game 2 was the only exception but my memory is fading now), and they still managed to blow leads.

Speaking of blown leads, I literally have no idea WTF happened against Calgary in Game 6 2015.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Agreed with this.

We can complain about the reffing all we want, but the Canucks mental fragileness was also to blame. Even against LA the previous year, the Canucks were leading in most of the games (I think Game 2 was the only exception but my memory is fading now), and they still managed to blow leads.

Speaking of blown leads, I literally have no idea WTF happened against Calgary in Game 6 2015.

Luca Sbisa at the end of the first happened to give Calgary hope. Big difference between going into the second period down 3-0 vs 3-1.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Yeah I've been calling for this for awhile now.

Let's face it, the casual fan doesn't know that PP's can disrupt the flow of a game. They just know there are more goals.

As for hardcore fans, let's be honest the regular season product has a range of quality. I think hockey in many ways is much better now than it was in the 90's or early 2000's but no matter what you do there are dog day games in the middle of the season for every team.

They are twisting themselves in knots trying to increase scoring but since the lockout the interference calls have slowly but steadily declined. We will never get back to the deadpuck era, where defenders would literally get towed along like a trailer by the offensive players. But those first few years after the lockout for me are the way the game is supposed to be called. And it increased scoring a ton.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Yeah, it was a complete joke, and Vigneault said as much.

To be fair, San Jose outplayed us on the whole - but that was an example of one of the clearest and most obvious officiating agendas I have ever seen. The tail end of game four was a total and complete farce - particularly the penalty on Daniel in overtime - and had basically everyone on the team steaming afterwards.

A lot of the sheer subterfuge of it was lost in the fan anger towards Vigneault & co. getting swept, and in the fact that the Eastern media still had a lot of residual hate towards the club for 2011... but it was one of the biggest con-job ruses I have ever seen in professional sports.

It legitimately was the first time I pondered the idea of a team filing charges against a league, or even a civil suit against a specific referee (Kelly Sutherland). After the Marchand/Sedin incident in 2011, the idea of hunting down Sutherland actually crossed my mind. Not serious thoughts mind you, but the idea of it did enter my mind for like 10-15 seconds.
Highly suggest you avoid posting things like this on public forums. Like, highly suggest.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007

Logan Couture also picked up the puck and threw it down the ice on the PK.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Highly suggest you avoid posting things like this on public forums. Like, highly suggest.

Sorry, but that's not how I operate. Never have never will. Given Kelly Sutherland's mis-treatment of Vancouver during that time period, there was a lot of justified anger towards him.

Now obviously, no one took action against him (thankfully), and I didn't nor did I ever plan to take action against Sutherland, but I think Sutherland should consider himself lucky that no one took him into a back alley.

A sport event between two teams should always be officiated without biased treatment of any kind, and Sutherland crossed a line numerous times. He should thank his lucky stars that his disgraceful officiating wasn't met with physical violence (from players or fans).

Masterchief

Dec 3, 2012
The way it was/is officiated whether an NHL agenda or coincidence, is the reason why I no longer really care about the league. I would sooner do something else than watch wwe on ice

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
The way it was/is officiated whether an NHL agenda or coincidence, is the reason why I no longer really care about the league. I would sooner do something else than watch wwe on ice

When your team is terrible and competing for the draft lottery instead of the cup suddenly the NHL's terrible officiating doesn't bother me so much.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009

You're a true fan lol

This is why I can't stand watching Canucks games. Refs be wrecking my positive vibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad