Does anyone else dislike the nhl in general due to league-wide leaf hate?

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Does anyone else have a hard time enjoying nhl hockey in general, due to basically every other teams fanbase hating the leafs? Even Gary Bettman cracked a leafs joke about the playoff format.

I watch leafs games exclusively because I cannot find enjoyment watching other teams due to this league wide hate.

For any other sport (I am also Raps/Jays fan) I can sit and watch basically any random game on. For hockey, I cannot find it in me to watch any other game just because of this.

I have recently broke off all communication with my lifelong bestfriend for good due to this. We both live in a small town near toronto our whole life (aka leafs territory) but he is the biggest leaf hater I know. So thats one less thing I have to deal with.

Maybe im just a p***y, but I really cant stand it. Cant even have a discussion on any board on this site without leaf jokes thrown at me.

Anyone else?

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Maybe if I didn't have to have the leafs jammed down my throat every day when I live 3000 km's away they wouldn't get some hate from me.

Reactions: Blowfish and Njfj

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Unfortunately the team has given critics tons of material over the last 40 years. When they make it to the final four then perception around the league will change.

Reactions: Blowfish

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Not going to lie: breaking off a longterm friendship because they don't like your favourite sports team is kinda weird.
I kinda put it lightly. Couldnt bring up sports in general without constant leaf hating jokes. I cant even explain it. I have quite bad OCD, and it was to the point where I couldnt focus on anything. Playing arguments in my head while doing leisure activities. Heart races and i turn red. Distracting me at work. It was just an issue I needed out of my life. I know it seems weird on the surface

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I guess some people watch Olympic hockey, international tournaments, other NHL games involving other teams besides the Leafs, the playoffs when the Leafs are not in the playoffs, the Stanley Cup playoffs when the Leafs are not a participant.

If you like hockey, maybe just don't worry about what others say and enjoy the game? Perhaps this is oversimplified, and my apologies if that's the case. Just hoping you can enjoy something that you presumably like.

Last edited:
Reactions: QuietContrarian

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
I kinda put it lightly. Couldnt bring up sports in general without constant leaf hating jokes. I cant even explain it. I have quite bad OCD, and it was to the point where I couldnt focus on anything. Playing arguments in my head while doing leisure activities. Heart races and i turn red. Distracting me at work. It was just an issue I needed out of my life. I know it seems weird on the surface

Honestly I'd probably just avoid talking about hockey then. You shouldn't put so much of your identity into a sports team. Your friendship is probably worth more than that.. but then again, I really don't know much about your personal relationships. :dunno:

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I would say more league wide apathy for me. Its not that I dislike most other teams, I just find them irrelevant. There are only so many waking hours I can spend on hockey and I prefer to spend them on the Leafs or games/players of consequence to them.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I guess some people watch Olympic hockey, international tournaments, other NHL games involving other teams besides the Leafs, the playoffs when the Leafs are in the playoffs, the Stanley Cup playoffs when the Leafs are not a participant.

If you like hockey, maybe just don't worry about what others say and enjoy the game?
I try to. But I cant find it in me to sit back and watch, for example the boston-montreal game last night. I would have liked to crack open a few drinks and sit back and watch that. I cant really find the right word for it. Its like wishing your ex and the guy she cheated on you with a good relationship. Its just not something I can support. I know thats a weird comparison but its somewhere along the same line lol

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Honestly I'd probably just avoid talking about hockey then. You shouldn't put so much of your identity into a sports team. Your friendship is probably worth more than that.. but then again, I really don't know much about your personal relationships. :dunno:
I tried. But its just kinda a elephant in the room kind of thing. It just came up. I know I should just ignore/dont take it to heart, but it was consuming/distracting me in my every day life and I just couldnt take it. Maybe im just a wimp but i couldnt have that in my life

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
I do wonder why Canadian teams cannot win a cup and are rarely serious contenders. Do the US teams leach all the coaching and management talent away from Canada or do US teams conspire to keep the Canadian teams down?

I'm not a conspiracy nut but perhaps they ask for more or are tougher on Canadian teams when dealing or trading because of jealousy ----especially when negotiating with the Leafs? The opposing players always try harder when they play against the leafs in Toronto, and I suspect that GM's do too. They always seem to get the best end of deals against our Leafs.

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I try to. But I cant find it in me to sit back and watch, for example the boston-montreal game last night. I would have liked to crack open a few drinks and sit back and watch that. I cant really find the right word for it. Its like wishing your ex and the guy she cheated on you with a good relationship. Its just not something I can support. I know thats a weird comparison but its somewhere along the same line lol
OK. I revised & added a bit to my original post.

Reactions: CatchyTune

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
I wish we could be hated in the Yankee way or the New England way because we are so great and win most of the time and have championship blue blood running through our veins
Like the 80sOiler hate cuz they were so good and had major swagger
Like the Man U way ..
Like the past Eskimos cuz they were so great
Oh how I wish we where hated for those reasons
Other than that I couldn’t give a flying Puck about it
Hate on all you or they or anybody wants
We deserve the negative hate cuz we don’t win ..
going on 56 years next year for me on the Big bad blue and white train and I’m not going anywhere else
I bleed Blue man , ain’t nothing anyone can say to change dat !

Last edited:

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I guess some people watch Olympic hockey, international tournaments, other NHL games involving other teams besides the Leafs, the playoffs when the Leafs are in the playoffs, the Stanley Cup playoffs when the Leafs are not a participant.

If you like hockey, maybe just don't worry about what others say and enjoy the game? Perhaps this is oversimplified, and my apologies if that's the case. Just hoping you can enjoy something that you presumably like.
Luckily there are other sports where I dont have to deal with this. I can leisurely watch any NBA game on. Doesnt have to be the raps. Same with the MLB. I am also becoming a pretty big NFL fan, and without having a local team, its kinda nice just to enjoy the league as a whole, if that makes any sense. Without being a diehard fan of a team I can neutrally watch any game.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Maybe if I didn't have to have the leafs jammed down my throat every day when I live 3000 km's away they wouldn't get some hate from me.

That’s not Leafs fans fault. It’s due to the big teams like Leafs having a larger fanbase and that creates money for media. We are mature enough to understand all the negative leafs stuff jammed down our throats from media, you should be mature enough to understand this being a fan in a small market.

Reactions: qqaz

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Some of friends are big time fans of other sports teams. Makes for great banter and friendly rivalry.

Maybe you need better friends

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Some of friends are big time fans of other sports teams. Makes for great banter and friendly rivalry.

Maybe you need better friends

I have a pile of buddies and a brother in law who are Habs fans. We have lotsa banter but respect each other enough not to make it a big issue. Hockey is for fun and entertainment. If they are at my place I have no issue turning a Habs game on if Leafs aren’t playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad