does anybody know what happened to extraskater.com?

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I went to extraskater.com today and noticed it is no longer up, with a message of "Sorry, Extra Skater is offline". This was, by far, the best advanced stats site on the net, and it would really suck to lose it. Does anybody know what happened to it?

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I went to extraskater.com today and noticed it is no longer up, with a message of "Sorry, Extra Skater is offline". This was, by far, the best advanced stats site on the net, and it would really suck to lose it. Does anybody know what happened to it?

He got hired by the leafs..

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
There will either be a copy cat site up soon or heck NHL could do it on their own stats page.

nhl has gotten together with the two other bloggers hires and found out just how much info was being gleemed from the NHL site and have now rigrejigged their rules and regs and have rejigged how easy it is to mass copy and sort their pages onto seperate pages-last few years it was easy--but the program I use (Nicked it from Hilton Hotels a few years ago) Is now blocked from extrapulating information as easy as before

knockoutpanda

Oilers Fan
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
nhl has gotten together with the two other bloggers hires and found out just how much info was being gleemed from the NHL site and have now rigrejigged their rules and regs and have rejigged how easy it is to mass copy and sort their pages onto seperate pages-last few years it was easy--but the program I use (Nicked it from Hilton Hotels a few years ago) Is now blocked from extrapulating information as easy as before

My understanding is that it is all from the play by play files put out after the game. James Mirtle was extracting data with what looked like a comand prompt.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Behind the net is pretty similar. As is stats.hockeyanalysis.com

My guess: with the NHLs new data usage policy they are looking to get a piece of the pie with the increased popularity and will buy extraskater to integrate into NHL.com

I see no reason for the Leafs to have extraskater be kept shutdown as similar info is available else where

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Behind the net is pretty similar. As is stats.hockeyanalysis.com

My guess: with the NHLs new data usage policy they are looking to get a piece of the pie with the increased popularity and will buy extraskater to integrate into NHL.com

I see no reason for the Leafs to have extraskater be kept shutdown as similar info is available else where

behindthenet has similar stats, but the usability of that website is horrific... extraskater was actually really nice to use

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
behindthenet has similar stats, but the usability of that website is horrific... extraskater was actually really nice to use

Glad its not just a user interface I was seeing.. gotta select settings several times just to get to what you want it to spit out.

Always has been wonky. Doesn't work well even when it doesn't freeze up.

overuse is going to get worse now.

Damn, whats a guy going to do to defend oiler hires..:sarcasm:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Glad its not just a user interface I was seeing.. gotta select settings several times just to get to what you want it to spit out.

Always has been wonky. Doesn't work well even when it doesn't freeze up.

overuse is going to get worse now.

Damn, whats a guy going to do to defend oiler hires..:sarcasm:
Blind faith?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Seemingly best way to get a head office NHL job now is to blog about stats.

WE should do what they did and just make up a bunch and keep tweaking and changing it every year until our advanced stats and numbers start to approach being able to *Predict* last years stats..:p:

personally I like backwardforwardrelicorsicombo as a name. That one as of last week wasn't picked yet..you want a good all encompassing stat and so that sounds like one..

Plus its cool if the names sound like addresses and mean nothing at all in particular. Stylish names like Fenwick Close, Park PlacePDO, Boardwalkevensteven or Deadmanwalkingblindcorsi.

Its important to be able to throw around 6 of these advanced stats names into one sentence while stating a player is a bigtime possession playa and mustardrelishcorsi definitely says so.

Say it like you mean it with conviction and invariably people start listening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad