Does a lack of a lucrative TV contract is the reason that we see ads on jerseys, gambling ad commercials and digital ads in the NHL?

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
I believe a lack of a lucrative TV contract for the NHL can be the reason for an increase in revenue from ads on jerseys, gambling and digital ads.

If the NHL had NFL TV money, we probably won't see ads on jerseys, gambling ads and digital ads...

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I believe a lack of a lucrative TV contract for the NHL can be the reason for an increase in revenue from ads on jerseys, gambling and digital ads.

If the NHL had NFL TV money, we probably won't see ads on jerseys, gambling ads and digital ads...
Imagine if all sports had that TV contract, that’s a pie in the sky wish for any sports league.

Reactions: oknazevad

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
We would probably see more gambling ads.
Because it would mean the league would be more popular and thus see more people place bets on it.

Reactions: oknazevad

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA

The salary cap is a 50/50 split. For the cap to go up, they have to increase revenue. To do that, they have to be willing to whore themselves out to (almost) anything and everything that will bring in additional revenue:

Gambling ads -X
Digital boards -X
Helmet ads -X
Jersey ads -X
The World Cup of Hockey
Games in foreign countries -X

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK

Roger's scraping the bottom of the barrel for revenue might be a sign that their contract is on the edge of being a bust. Which means continued lack of lucrative TV contracts for the NHL.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

English prem league have HUGE contracts and we see ADS on their jersies

ijuka

May 14, 2016
More like the lack of good mobile services in a mobile world. TV contracts are a thing of the past. I never watch TV, for example. If I wanted to see something out of TV, I'd use Chromecast. Cable companies? An absolute has-been concept.

Look at NHL's app and their website and you'll see that they have no idea what they're doing in this regard. Look at blackouts and you'll see they're so far behind the times it's not even funny.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
More like the lack of good mobile services in a mobile world. TV contracts are a thing of the past. I never watch TV, for example. If I wanted to see something out of TV, I'd use Chromecast. Cable companies? An absolute has-been concept.

Look at NHL's app and their website and you'll see that they have no idea what they're doing in this regard. Look at blackouts and you'll see they're so far behind the times it's not even funny.
Blackouts are the same for NBA and MLB. No idea on NFL.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX

What are you even talking about? Every league has blackouts.

Additionally, blackouts aren't going to go away until there are no RSN's. These RSN's pay good money for the rights to games. That's the whole reason for blackouts, it's all about the $$.

The NHL would be stupid to say "no blackouts", and people could pay $10 per month or whatever it is for ESPN+ for every single game that's not nationally televised, they would be leaving so much money on the table if they were do something like that. It's just not going to happen.

WeaponOfChoice

Jan 25, 2020
You haven't seen the fake online gambling ad that has the snake getting hit in the head with the puck? I swear I see it 5 times a commercial break.

edit here it is

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad