DobberProspects mid season list

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Good write ups reflecting a group debate process that seems rich and useful. Fairly unique and thoughtful write ups. Gristle to chew on while June slowly approaches.

Surprises:

No D until 5, and it's Buium. Parekh next, not too surprising. Catton over Lindstrom also not too surprising. Yakemchuk lower than some other lists.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Does DobberProspects have a bias towards players with higher fantasy potential?

Nonetheless, it wouldn't surprise me if Buium became the best D from this draft class.

Reactions: Sam de Mtl

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007

Nonetheless, it wouldn't surprise me if Buium became the best D from this draft class.
I haven't seen that in their write ups, but perhaps? They're referenced at eliteprospects so at least not totally random.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
refreshing to see such a different take on things. Still, no one is moving Celebrini off the #1 spot.

Reactions: slumpy43

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015

Pretty heavily, almost a bias against size and shooting. They had Lysell 3rd, Newhook 6th, and Krebs 7th in previous years.

Reactions: majormajor

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Not bad but Yakemchuk at 24 is bonkers. Don't disagree with the description but they've come to the wrong conclusion. Yakemchuk's skating isn't pretty but he's getting to where he needs to be and not many prospects of his size are better skaters. Aaron Ekblad is a below average skater and it didn't hold him back much. It's not gonna keep Yakemchuk from playing in the NHL. Of course there's risk. There's risk with almost every draft pick. You're drafting kids, not seasoned vets. Out of Yakemchuk though at the very worst you get a stay at home righty defender with a lethal shot. Those are hard to find as well. And his upside is just too high to pass up until 24. He's gonna go top10 for sure. In my personal opinion he should go top5 and be the first defenseman off the board purely based on potential.

Reactions: slumpy43 and bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Good write ups reflecting a group debate process that seems rich and useful. Fairly unique and thoughtful write ups. Gristle to chew on while June slowly approaches.

Surprises:

No D until 5, and it's Buium. Parekh next, not too surprising. Catton over Lindstrom also not too surprising. Yakemchuk lower than some other lists.
My God this list is horrendous.

Pretty heavily, almost a bias against size and shooting. They had Lysell 3rd, Newhook 6th, and Krebs 7th in previous years.
So they have absolutely no clue and think hockey is a video game. Got it.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
So they have absolutely no clue and think hockey is a video game. Got it.

This is a wild exaggeration.

They have had some good analysts and writers over the years who are not afraid to be bold with their picks. And it's a FANTASY site so their rankings will always be significantly different than a straight prospect rankings or how the draft will end up looking. I will say that Dobber's monthly prospect rankings are pretty useless IMO. He greatly values proximity to the NHL which will often cause an AHL player or someone just breaking in to be ranked higher than a player a few years away. For example, his latest rankings have Reichel ranked a spot ahead than Michkov which is obviously bonkers. I don't use Dobber's monthly ratings at all but his prospect guide and rankings from draft analysts have always been solid.

Reactions: Rennlist

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

They have had some good analysts and writers over the years who are not afraid to be bold with their picks. And it's a FANTASY site so their rankings will always be significantly different than a straight prospect rankings or how the draft will end up looking. I will say that Dobber's monthly prospect rankings are pretty useless IMO. He greatly values proximity to the NHL which will often cause an AHL player or someone just breaking in to be ranked higher than a player a few years away. For example, his latest rankings have Reichel ranked a spot ahead than Michkov which is obviously bonkers. I don't use Dobber's monthly ratings at all but his prospect guide and rankings from draft analysts have always been solid.
It’s a group of 8/9 university students making the rankings, using his site. Not sure it took more than asking to be a scout for the role.

Last edited:
Reactions: dr1234

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Being 'bold' and not being able to evaluate anything but obvious skill. Ignoring long term development of bigger players. Which so many on this board are guilty of. So im not supised. Just go look at the Byfield and Slafkovsky threads.

Small skill wingers over bigger d men... It's a bad look. Small skill wingers are a dime a dozen. Easiest asset to aquire. There's a reason especially RHD men are so coveted. Yakemchuk in the 20's... come on.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Being 'bold' and not being able to evaluate anything but obvious skill. Ignoring long term development of bigger players. Which so many on this board are guilty of. So im not supised. Just go look at the Byfield and Slafkovsky threads.

Small skill wingers over bigger d men... It's a bad look. Small skill wingers are a dime a dozen. Easiest asset to aquire. There's a reason especially RHD men are so coveted. Yakemchuk in the 20's... come on.
I'm not debating that. You questioned the Dobber site and I was trying to give you some insight since I have been a customer of theirs for over 10 years now. I recently listened to one of their prospect ranking podcast (not sure if it was the same people that compiled this ranking) and they specifically talked about ranking offensive wingers over big physical dmen because they are more valuable in fantasy hockey if they hit. They acknowledge that in the actual draft the order will be very different than their rankings.

Reactions: bert

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
This a draft where I’d kill to have multiple top50-60 picks.

Don’t know where my isles will land of if we’ll have a first round pick but late 20’s I’d love Boisvert. Kid is going to be a legit center prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad