News Article: Dobber: Geek of the Week: Better Days Ahead For Larkin?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
With some talk of Mantha being our best player on our board, let's look at what's happening with our beloved future Captain.

Geek of the Week: Better Days Ahead For Larkin? | DobberHockey – Fantasy NHL Projections and Analysis

DylanLarkin-e1455224405986.jpg

"With the first quarter of the season in the books, there are always players who make us second-guess our projections. Deployment and puck luck are very fickle, and unfortunately, even the most accomplished fantasy hockey player has no control over either. That said, sometimes players slump for no other reason than the pucks and points just aren’t quite going their way. Such is the case with Dylan Larkin.

The 23-year-old center has amassed 16 points through 25 games, pacing for only 20 goals and 52 points. That’s a far cry from the 79-point pace Larkin put up one year ago. As we move into the season’s second quarter, many owners in shallower leagues may be considering a C-only player on pace for low-50 point total a bust. As we get into the middle of the schedule, it’s high time for Larkin to show what he can do. But was the Wings leading scorer from 2018-19 just a flash in the pan?

Season so far
Larkin’s disappointment for fantasy owners extends past the boxcar stats. His shot rate has fallen by about half a shot per game. His hit, penalty minute, and even face-off win paces are all down from last year as well.

There is likely an explanation for those numbers falling off, though I’m not sure it’s a promising factoid for fantasy owners: Larkin’s overall time on ice is down by about 80 seconds this year. While it’s a positive sign to see about 50 seconds more on the power play each night, it’s frustrating to see the Wings’ obvious first-line winger lose so much ice time at even strength. Last year, Larkin ranked third in the league in even-strength time on ice per game, behind only Connor McDavid and Patrick Kane. This year, he’s fallen down to ninth, though that’s meant an average drop off of 1:20 each time the Red Wings hit the ice.

Underlying numbers
The first number we’re going to look at when checking for possible regression is individual shooting percentage. In this case, Larkin has averaged 9 percent even-strength shooting percentage over the three years before this one. This season, he’s shooting at around 6.5 percent. His power-play shooting has been roughly what we’d expect at 14.29 percent.

But that’s not all that’s going on here. While Larkin is on the ice during a power play, the Wings are scoring on over 11 percent of their goals. And Larkin, a player who typically figures in to about 60 percent of power-play goals when he’s on the ice, has only factored in to 25 percent of those goals this year.

We are seeing a similar trend at even strength. Even though the Wings are shooting above 11 percent when Larkin is on the ice, a number that should regress to about 9.5 percent over the course of the season, the centerman is only getting points on 50 percent of these goals. That number has historically been about 75 percent over the rest of his career.

These numbers can look distorted over small sample sizes, but typically over the course of 82 games they even out. The question is, should we expect Larkin to significantly improve on his mediocre 52-point pace over the next few months?

Projection time
If we take Larkin’s shooting rate, and then regulate his shooting and point percentages to his three-year averages, I think we’ll see a much more reasonable expectation for what Larkin will put up over the next 56 games.

GP

ATOI

G

A

Pts

PPP

20:32

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

As we can see, Larkin should pace for a much higher total than his current number suggest. These numbers even offer only a modest power-play point total. If the Red Wings happen to figure out how to properly coach those units, I could see these numbers trending even higher.

One number that stands out: that’s a full-season pace of 19 power-play points. You’d think a possible point-per-game stud would be capable of more. But the Detroit Red Wings power play could be what’s at fault here. With only two power-play points on the year, and only 15 to show for all of 2018-19, it’s a reasonable assumption to suggest Larkin and the Red Wings just might not be adept with the man advantage. That’s something that could be fixed with a coaching shake-up. And can you imagine what these totals would be if Larkin was projected to be potent at 5-on-4?

As it is, I’d suggest looking at buying low on Larkin. These numbers would be a full-season pace of 26 goals and 81 points. There’s plenty of players who would be worth moving out to buy-in on a player with this type of upside."

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
He looks like his spirit has been broken and he's not enjoying hockey anymore. He's got to find ways to stay motivated in these tough times. The slump is temporary.

Don't need advanced stats to tell you that story.

Reactions: mantha39

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Larkin is just very unmotivated because the team sucks right now and he is now missing Mantha
He's gotta find a way to get motivated if he;s gonna be captain. The captain has to be the guy who motivates the team regardless of the situation.

In any case, I think they ought to put Zadina on the top line and let Larkin mentor him. That's another task that's usually relegated to the captain.

bedtime20

nap nap
Nov 30, 2018
Metro Detroit
He's gotta find a way to get motivated if he;s gonna be captain. The captain has to be the guy who motivates the team regardless of the situation.

In any case, I think they ought to put Zadina on the top line and let Larkin mentor him. That's another task that's usually relegated to the captain.
I think putting Zadina with him would be very smart

Reactions: lilidk

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
With AA & Flip finally producing with Fabbri, Zadina should definitely be w/Larkin. If Svech's knee is strong enough to withstand NHL competition, call him up too, send Ehn down.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
That 1st line has been A LOT better this year, than year before.

I don't see any difference in Larkin's motivation. He is just playing more complete game than ever.

Formerly, I did kind of hate him a bit of shooting always from weak angles. Now there's more quality.

So his induvial shot rate is down, but other linemates are scoring more, that's a signal that Larkin is concentrating on support plays. He is many times screening goalies, doing dirty work. It's not his main job in the future success days, but you have to prepare for all, before any success. It's great to see that he likes to be that complete guy like Toews in his prime.

Also he did take very much unneeded minor penalties in the past. His penalty-rate is now cut in half. Much less unneeded stickwork, more better positioning. That's what makes a Selke Trophy -candidate.

We just need to draft the depth on this team and add one elite guy on the Larkin's line from 2020 draft. Least worried about the top line.

Last edited:
Reactions: lomekian

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
It's time to give him capitan. It's time to to bring someone else to coach this team. It's time to send some veterans to GR. It's time for thanksgiving and Christmas

bedtime20

nap nap
Nov 30, 2018
Metro Detroit
It's time to give him capitan. It's time to to bring someone else to coach this team. It's time to send some veterans to GR. It's time for thanksgiving and Christmas
That would be the best c-mas gift
Larkin with a c
Veterans down to The Ahl and or traded
A few nice trades
And a new head coach
That would be one great c-mas gift to all of us

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Something is off with Larkin physically. His explosiveness with and without the puck is not quite the same as last year. This has been true all season. He is still our best player but he is not having a great season by the standards he has set.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Something is off with Larkin physically. His explosiveness with and without the puck is not quite the same as last year. This has been true all season. He is still our best player but he is not having a great season by the standards he has set.
Maybe last year is not the norm for him? Maybe that was his peak? We still don't know what he is fully yet.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Most likely it is mental. He looks very frustrated lately

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

Most likely it is mental. He looks very frustrated lately

I think the losing is getting to him. He seems super frustrated. I know it’s no excuse but hard to blame the kid

Reactions: lilidk

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Guys like Larkin hate losing more than they like winning. My suggestion to him would be to look for smaller personal goals and hit those so that way you have something positive coming out of all these losses. Just IMO.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think the losing is getting to him. He seems super frustrated. I know it’s no excuse but hard to blame the kid

Except that he had an injury that kept him out a good deal of the preason. I don't doubt that he is frustrated, but playing on poor NHL rosters is nothing new to him and he has had a track record of playing well and consistently even when the team has been unsucessful. Hell, playing on bad teams is really all that he has known in the NHL.

We are also spending a shit ton of time in the defensive zone each night which isn't doing him any favors.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Honestly to me it looks like Larkin is putting way too much on himself, as he gets quite frustrated with every failure out there. In one way that is great, as you know he holds himself accountable, on the other hand, it isn't great as even Connor McDavid isn't turning this team into a viable team right now.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Larkin, like AA, was injured in the exhibition season. Groin strain, I believe.
Hard to get rid of those without rest.
And he's a gamer, so he's fighting through it.
At times, you can see that extra gear. But it's not there as often this year.
Through 6: 2-5-7 +5
Next 20: 4-5-9 -6

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
We have a 82.4 save % at ES when Larkin is on the ice. Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooof.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad