Series Discussion: Do you want the Flames to lose the Flames vs Jets series?

Are you secretly hoping for the Flames to lose the series against the Jets?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

DirtDiver

Aug 14, 2017
Canada
For me its i secretly want them to win but expect them to lose. I want them to win the cup every year. But the truth of the matter is i think we are a couple of pieces away from that or just 1 goalie to go god mode for the playoffs.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I do.
If the Flames lose they have a 1 in 8 chance of drafting #1.
If the Flames fail to win the lottery they will still get to draft somewhere between the 9-13 spot.
The Jets, Wild, Yotes, Blackhawks, and Habs all finished lower than the Flames. If those teams all win their series the Flames will draft 9th (assuming they don't win the Lafreniere lottery). If the Wild, Yotes, Blackhawks, and Habs all lose the Flames will draft 13th.

Here are Sportsnet's top 20 player rankings as published on June 25..

1. Alexis Lafreniere, LW, Rimouski Oceanic (QMJHL): There’s a completeness to his game that simply says “pro.” There’s a quiet confidence that will allow him to overcome first overall pressure and excel at what he’s best at.

2. Tim Stutzle, LW, Mannheim (DEL): There’s enough track record that he projects at centre in the NHL and that may be enough for him to pass Byfield.

3. Quinton Byfield, C, Sudbury Wolves (OHL): Great player already with great size and a ton of growth potential still ahead of him.

4. Lucas Raymond, LW, Frolunda (SHL): Moves so well with great vision and that combination will allow him to make his NHL linemates better.

5. Marco Rossi, C, Ottawa 67’s (OHL): Highly competitive, super smart, easily coached and a strong lower half that should make up for perceived size issues.

6. Jamie Drysdale, D, Erie Otters (OHL): Plays with poise well beyond his years. Elite skating ability will work effectively in all three zones.

7. Jake Sanderson, D, (USNTDP): A natural-born leader who was just starting to show a more potent offensive side to his game before the shutdown.

8. Cole Perfetti, LW/C, Saginaw Spirit (OHL): Is a magician in the offensive zone with his ability to change pace and find teammates. Goal-scoring has always been part of the skill-set.

9. Alexander Holtz, RW, Djugarden (SHL): Elite shooting and goal-scoring ability should translate to the NHL.

10. Jack Quinn, RW, Ottawa 67’s (OHL): Takes care of the little details that have helped improve his all-around game. Amongst the best-in-class goal-scorers.

11. Anton Lundell, C, HIFK (Liiga): A safe pick who has performed well in a variety of roles with peers internationally and with older players in league play.

12. Yarolslav Askarov, G, SKA (VHL): Has been a star internationally and in the VHL. Look past his WJC performance and realize he’s the best goalie available.

13. Kaiden Guhle, D, Prince Albert Raiders (WHL): Has experienced the perfect developmental curve in having to earn his chops as a youngster, and then progressing to big minutes in his second season. Excellent skater with a serious mean streak to his game.

14. Dawson Mercer, C, Chicoutimi Sagueneens (QMJHL): His passion and energy are infectious. Possesses excellent hands and shooting ability. Built for the small-space game.

15. Dylan Holloway, C, Wisconsin (NCAA): Plays a power forward game that is highlighted by elite skating ability.

16. Connor Zary, C, Kamloops Blazers (WHL): Super smart, energetic player who handles pressure well. In-tune with the defensive game and should produce at NHL second-line pace.

17. Rodion Amirov, LW, UFA (VHL): Hard-working, skilled player who understands how to play both ends effectively.

18. Braden Schneider, D, Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL): A safe bet as a more than capable defender with offensive upside that may develop down the road.

19. Seth Jarvis, C, Portland Winterhawks (WHL): Right shot centre who took off in the second half. Definitely a player who would’ve benefitted from a playoff run on a young team.

20. Hendrix Lapierre, C, Chicoutimi Sagueneens (QMJHL): Neck issues were originally thought to be concussion issues. Limited in-season play will have some teams concerned, but if healthy, he’s a steal anywhere past 10.

Sportsnet's 2020 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings: Lottery edition - Sportsnet.ca

You always want your team to win but this year, it does not really matter. So I would be happy if we lose and get a high pick and have to a chance draft a quality player.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Eh I hope we win, might as well make a run for it during a completely unpredictable year.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Pretty whatever about it honestly. I'd like to see them at least make the first round but won't be too broken up if they lose to Winnipeg.

Would rather just forget this whole season and really the entire year happened really.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
I don't want them to lose but if they do at least they have a shot at Lafreniere.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I think it's a pretty great situation. Hockey comes back, the qualifier round is going to be crazy, anybody could win. If they get bounced, they have a 1/8 shot at Lafreniere.

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I hope we go on a tear, but if we lose to the Jets, I hope we lose in 6 or 7. At least there's that fire and push to keep going and holding our head high vs feeling deflated afterwards. Kinda like 2015.

It's a far stronger environment to develop players etc. if we keep showing we have a solid foundation to push forward with vs a foundation with serious problems.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I don't want them to lose but if they do at least they have a shot at Lafreniere.
If...They lose and win the lottery, I would advocate trading that pick to Ottawa, plus add Monahan and Jankowski and Bennett, for:
-Goalie 'P' Filip Gustavsson ( and give them Jon Gillies if needed), - #3 oa 1st, -#34oa 2nd, - W/C Brady Tkachuk, - 'P' C Josh Norris, -'P' C/RW Drake Batherson, -Lw/C Jayce Hawryluk, - 'P' R/LW Vitaly Abramov, - Ottawa's 2nd Rd 2021, - 'P' C Mark Kastelic ( former Hitmen player!)
Would Love to see a top-line of Mattie & Brady Tkachuk bros with rookie Darke Batherson on RW. Then, Johnny Hockey- MBacks-Elias Lindy. Then, Mangie-Doobie-?VAbramov/ or ETuulola/or Mattias Emilio-Petterssen/ or Glenn Gawdin.
Then Looch-Ryan-? Leftover RW prospect, filler, Rookie.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I hope we go on a tear, but if we lose to the Jets, I hope we lose in 6 or 7. At least there's that fire and push to keep going and holding our head high vs feeling deflated afterwards. Kinda like 2015.

It's a far stronger environment to develop players etc. if we keep showing we have a solid foundation to push forward with vs a foundation with serious problems.

I think the qualifying round is a best of 5.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
If...They lose and win the lottery, I would advocate trading that pick to Ottawa, plus add Monahan and Jankowski and Bennett, for:
-Goalie 'P' Filip Gustavsson ( and give them Jon Gillies if needed), - #3 oa 1st, -#34oa 2nd, - W/C Brady Tkachuk, - 'P' C Josh Norris, -'P' C/RW Drake Batherson, -Lw/C Jayce Hawryluk, - 'P' R/LW Vitaly Abramov, - Ottawa's 2nd Rd 2021, - 'P' C Mark Kastelic ( former Hitmen player!)
Would Love to see a top-line of Mattie & Brady Tkachuk bros with rookie Darke Batherson on RW. Then, Johnny Hockey- MBacks-Elias Lindy. Then, Mangie-Doobie-?VAbramov/ or ETuulola/or Mattias Emilio-Petterssen/ or Glenn Gawdin.
Then Looch-Ryan-? Leftover RW prospect, filler, Rookie.
Trading Lafreniere, Monahan, Bennett, for Brady Tkachuk and a bunch of maybes.
Might be the worst trade of all time.

Reactions: Foo Fighter

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think the qualifying round is a best of 5.

giphy.gif

If we make it to game 6 or 7, we lose a shot at the 1st overall?

(Yeah, I totally messed that up. Good catch.)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Interesting that 82% of the members here want the Flames to beat the Jets but only 36% think they will.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Every time you qualify for the Stanley Cup Playoffs, the goal is always the same. Win the Stanley Cup. Whether you have finished at the top of the standings or 16th in the standings. All teams entering the playoffs start with a 0-0 record and all have a potential chance in winning it all.
All it takes is a few weeks of playing the best hockey and you never know what can happen.
I'll be ecstatic if we beat the Jets. It seems a lot of people have us as the under dog. I'd prefer a long playoff run because that's what I have always hoped for. Playoff success. I'll never forget the runs in 1986, 1989 and 2004 and even how exciting it was to beat Vancouver a few years back as the cardiac kids with Bob Hartley. Playoffs is what makes memories, every team is pretty much status quo right now and anyone can win. Is there a statistical favorite? Boston, St. Louis, Tampa? I don't know, possibly. But in this tournament absolutely anything can happen. This one is completely up in the air and can be won by anyone. Every team is healthy going into the playoffs, that's pretty rare. It's all about gelling as a team, coming together for a couple of weeks and winning hockey games and I'm excited to see where the Flames go from here. If they whimper out 3 straight, I'll be disappointed and probably pissed off and then I'll think of the potential of first overall pick. I hope we're not in that position, I want good memories, I want to be cheering for my favorite team and my favorite players for a nice long run. If they win 2 series and then bow out, I won't say well I'd have rather had the shot at first overall, I'll remember the games we won and the chance that they could have gone further.
Hey, who knows what's going to happen next. We have a pretty good shot, just like 23 other teams out there. I hope it's exciting and I hope we compete and win a bunch of games.
If we're out in a week, well I'll revisit the #1 pick when that lottery comes up again.
Go Flames Go.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If we get goaltending and actually play well there isn’t a team we can’t beat IMO.

maybe the St Louis, Colorado, Tampa and Boston would be favoured.

But I think the Flame are in that next teir of about 5-12. I’d say they are as good as any of that next group when they are on. Any of those teams can win a cup imo.

I want to win as much as ever, it’s just a loss to the Jets won’t sting very much considering the draft outcome. I think we would have to win 3 rounds to get out of the top 20 of the draft which has some really good players like Lapierre, Zary, Guhle, Holloway. I would easily take the winning as I think that more than anything will make Gaudreau stay.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I want to win as much as ever, it’s just a loss to the Jets won’t sting very much considering the draft outcome. I think we would have to win 3 rounds to get out of the top 20 of the draft which has some really good players like Lapierre, Zary, Guhle, Holloway. I would easily take the winning as I think that more than anything will make Gaudreau stay.

giphy.gif

You have my attention...

Yeah, who would have thought that fans of a team will cheer for their team to win?

I so confuse with HF logic sometimes because a solid attempt at the cup is loss in comparing to a lottery win...

It's like literally metaphorical all over again.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Does anyone really believe that if they get past Winnipeg, the Flames have the talent to beat the Blues or the Avs in the next round?

Just to refresh everyone's memory, this is how the season ended and St Louis was playing without Tarasenko and the Avs were without Rantanen.

GPWINSLOSSESOT LOSSESPTSPTS%
1 Boston704414121000.714
2 St Louis71421910940.662
3 Colorado7042208920.657
4 Tampa Bay7043216920.657
5 Washington6941208900.652
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
GPWINSLOSSESOT LOSSESPTSPTS%
19 Calgary ... . 7036277790.564
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I think we could still beat St. Louis- we match up against them fairly well over the last few years. Sometimes a specific roster is just better at playing other specific rosters.

That said, I think the exact opposite about the avs lineup. We don't matchup well against them at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad