Series Discussion: Do you want the Flames to lose the Flames vs Jets series?

Are you secretly hoping for the Flames to lose the series against the Jets?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Worst case will be having the whole thing get shut down. Then they cant have a deep playoff run and dont get to be a part of the Laf Lotto either.

Would be just our luck to make it to the finals, win the 1st 2 games then have to cancel cause everyone's getting infected....

I haven't been following, but I'm sure players have been coming down positive...once confirmed are they just like us where they'd have to have 2 negs to have contact with the team again? What does a team do when both goalies test positive?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Would be just our luck to make it to the finals, win the 1st 2 games then have to cancel cause everyone's getting infected....

I haven't been following, but I'm sure players have been coming down positive...once confirmed are they just like us where they'd have to have 2 negs to have contact with the team again? What does a team do when both goalies test positive?

Like we lose by default because of an outbreak?

'04 "It was in"
'20 "It was infection"

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
What kind of Flames fan wants us to lose just for a chance at a pick?

Take your mediocrity elsewhere, nerd.
The type of Flames fan that honestly evaluates the Flames chances of even making it to the conference finals. Has everybody forgotten how badly the Flames sucked this year? I mean.... they REALLY sucked..
The Flames are lucky that they are even playing in the playoffs as there was a good possibility that they wouldn't, the way they were playing, if the covid-19 pandemic hadn't hit.

I'd rather lose to Winnipeg and have a 12.5% chance of drafting Lefrenier than beat Winnipeg and get blown out in the first playoff round (the chances that the Flames don't make it past the 1st round are pretty high).

Oh.. and no need to name call just because I have a different opinion than you. I'm just a Flames fan who would rather take one step back this year so we can take a huge leap forward in the next couple of years.
To me, just making the playoffs, isn't good enough anymore. Our window of opportunity is closing.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
The type of Flames fan that honestly evaluates the Flames chances of even making it to the conference finals. Has everybody forgotten how badly the Flames sucked this year? I mean.... they REALLY sucked..
The Flames are lucky that they are even playing in the playoffs as there was a good possibility that they wouldn't, the way they were playing, if the covid-19 pandemic hadn't hit.

I'd rather lose to Winnipeg and have a 12.5% chance of drafting Lefrenier than beat Winnipeg and get blown out in the first playoff round (the chances that the Flames don't make it past the 1st round are pretty high).

Oh.. and no need to name call just because I have a different opinion than you. I'm just a Flames fan who would rather take one step back this year so we can take a huge leap forward in the next couple of years.
To me, just making the playoffs, isn't good enough anymore. Our window of opportunity is closing.
I’ll be the first to agree that it was absolutely a let down from last year, but honestly that should have been expected. Does that mean they “really sucked”? I disagree with that.

First 29 games (through the end of November):
13-12-4 for 30 points. Prorated is roughly an 84-85 point pace over a full 82. Barely over .500.

Final 41 games (from the end of November):
23-15-3 for 49 points. Over an 82 game season this is a 98 point pace.

Admittedly, the end of November is an arbitrary cutoff, but a slow start from the big guys certainly led to an underwhelming start.

Like, at the pause the Flames were very much in a fight for a divisional spot...and playing at almost a 100 point pace over the last 40+ games makes me genuinely believe they would have been top 3 in the Pacific.

My point is, saying that they were in a real danger of missing playoffs is disingenuous. In my mind that was really never a threat. Something would have had to go quite wrong to bounce them off the 100 point pace. They dug themselves a hole early and had begun to make up for that by playing better hockey. I don’t think the Flames “really sucked”...I think fans set unreasonable expectations based on an overachievement last year.

It’s just unimaginable to me that fans of a team who had a very real shot a a divisional spot would not believe in the teams ability to at least compete in a playoff series

Last edited:
Reactions: Nanuuk

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
What kind of Flames fan wants us to lose just for a chance at a pick?

Take your mediocrity elsewhere, nerd.

Frankly losing and getting Laf would be better for the team overall for the next 20 years than winning a play-in round and then getting asscrunched by St. Louis in the first round. Getting Laf would take us out of mediocrity.

But yes, there's only a 12.5% of getting Laf.

I am not openly cheering for a loss, but I can't blame the people either for cheering for Laf.

Reactions: Dack

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Here's the difference in perspective, though. You seem to be under the impression that people are cheering for the Flames to win in spite of sucking.

Really, we cheer for the Flames to win because it means they don't suck. Of course the version of the Flames you're describing doesn't have a chance of winning the Cup. We're cheering for the Flames to not be that team after the restart.

If the Flames beat the Jets, then we clearly aren't talking about the Flames that suck, can't win a playoff series and therefore would never win the Cup. We're cheering for the best version of the Flames to go all the way.

Reactions: Mazatt

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
The idea that the Flames sucked this season is silly. If the Flames sucking and underpreforming is us getting to the playoffs, then why shouldn't we expect good shit when our top players have a chance to come in healthy? Either way the defeatist attitude of "next year!" is dumb as hell. How much of a difference do you actually think adding Lafreniere to this core means if you can't expect them to win a playoff series? If you can call yourself a fan of a team and cheer for them to miss out on a chance for the cup you need to reconsider your priorities.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I wouldn't say the Flames sucked, but they sure as hell weren't that much better than fringe playoff caliber.

6-1 shootout record and a negative GD don't point to a team that is all that great either. 20th in RW too.

Gun to my head, they probably make the playoffs simply because Vancouver looked like they were dying, while Arizona on the other hand had lost too much ground. Probably end up a touch over 90 pts and overall just very meh.

I'd say considering how horrid our depth and top two players were, the Flames did ok this season given the sort of crap they endured. I rly hope Monahan in particular rly screws his head back on next season though, because frankly 55 pt pace just is not good enough from a top line scoring centre in the NHL of today.

Reactions: Foo Fighter

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Here's the difference in perspective, though. You seem to be under the impression that people are cheering for the Flames to win in spite of sucking.

Really, we cheer for the Flames to win because it means they don't suck. Of course the version of the Flames you're describing doesn't have a chance of winning the Cup. We're cheering for the Flames to not be that team after the restart.

If the Flames beat the Jets, then we clearly aren't talking about the Flames that suck, can't win a playoff series and therefore would never win the Cup. We're cheering for the best version of the Flames to go all the way.
I admire your optimism. My heart cheers for them to win but my brain says its better that they lose. I'm tired of mediocre seasons from this team. The team needs a game breaker like Lafreniere and I say... roll the dice. Take that 1 in 8 chance because those odds (12.5%) are better than the odds that the 3rd ranked Devils had in 2019 to grab the first overall pick in the draft lottery.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I wouldn't say the Flames sucked, but they sure as hell weren't that much better than fringe playoff caliber.

6-1 shootout record and a negative GD don't point to a team that is all that great either. 20th in RW too.

Gun to my head, they probably make the playoffs simply because Vancouver looked like they were dying, while Arizona on the other hand had lost too much ground. Probably end up a touch over 90 pts and overall just very meh.

I'd say considering how horrid our depth and top two players were, the Flames did ok this season given the sort of crap they endured. I rly hope Monahan in particular rly screws his head back on next season though, because frankly 55 pt pace just is not good enough from a top line scoring centre in the NHL of today.
Sucking is relative. They sucked in comparison to their outstanding 2018-19 season (lets forget those playoffs though) because we all had very high hopes for the 2019-20 season. They don't suck when you compare them to the 2017-18 season.
When I say sucked... its because I had such high hopes for the team this year and they failed miserably in my eyes and many others.

Reactions: Mazatt

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I admire your optimism. My heart cheers for them to win but my brain says its better that they lose. I'm tired of mediocre seasons from this team. The team needs a game breaker like Lafreniere and I say... roll the dice. Take that 1 in 8 chance because those odds (12.5%) are better than the odds that the 3rd ranked Devils had in 2019 to grab the first overall pick in the draft lottery.
Ok, but a) this team obviously isn't actually going to tank and b) our leanings as fans don't influence the outcome. Your phrasing of "I say roll the dice" seems to imply some sort of control that we have, as though we are making a choice with implications on what the team will do. We are merely watching the unfolding of inevitable events, especially this year without the ability to attend the games in person.

I really feel like there is no downside to cheering the Flames on. Having a team that is capable of winning a playoff series is worth more than one first overall pick (let alone 1/8th shot at a first overall pick), as evidenced by so many different organizations. That said, I will be less sad this year than other years if we do lose in that opening round.

Reactions: Foo Fighter

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Seriously speaking, we will not win 1st OA. Arizona has that locked up with Taylor Hall on their team.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Spikey

Feb 12, 2020
I would want to see them win but since this year is so weird if they lose and get the 1st overall I wouldn't mind that either.

Reactions: viper0220

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Seriously speaking, we will not win 1st OA. Arizona has that locked up with Taylor Hall on their team.

But he'll be a UFA and on his way to Calgary.

He'll bring Laf with him when he signs here.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
But he'll be a UFA and on his way to Calgary.

He'll bring Laf with him when he signs here.

NJD drafted 11/12 (swapped picks) the draft after they acquired Hall. The season after that they drafted 1st OA.

I don't know how Hall magic works if acquired in UFA. The team logos could fall off the lottery ball or something and a blank one is drawn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad