Do you want Shero to sign Elias, Stempniak?

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
Not surprised at all that majority want Patty back but if Shero did that it would be a horrible decision. Elias has been out almost the entire season and has just recently had knee surgery. Not to mention he is past 40 now, its time to move on. Makes absolutely no sense to bring him in just to possibly mentor one player.

What is the major loss even if Elias was out half the year? I doubt the Devils are going to lose out on some UFA because they signed Elias. And if he's out, a young guy comes up to get some experience. Elias is the type of player you want around the younger players. There's not enough risk to consider this being a terrible decision.

Rebel Devil

Mar 16, 2014
I guess at this point I bring Elias to camp, but if shows any signs of breaking down I cut bait on the guy. I really don't have much faith that he can hold up.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I guess at this point I bring Elias to camp, but if shows any signs of breaking down I cut bait on the guy. I really don't have much faith that he can hold up.

I don't think he can hold up health wise either.

But I think he can hold up production wise, at least while he's healthy enough to actually play in the lineup.

I still maintain that a broken down skeleton of Patrik Elias is probably better than the entirety of last year's bottom 6. I don't see him falling off to the point of Ruutu of Zubrus. I think worst case scenario, he'd probably still be slightly better at offense than Josefson was last year.

That's at the absolute worst.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If he can't hold up health wise he sits. It isn't really a big deal.

We have cap space for days, he wouldn't be blocking anyone, and he is Patty.

This is a no brainer to me if he thinks he can go. You sign him.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The only way this could be a horrible experience is if it caused a youngster we need to play to be scratched or if we were close to the cap.

Neither of those situations apply to us. There is no risk to re signing him at all.

Blender, JQ, and wood. The LWs that could play in Patty's spot would all benefit from starting in Albany.

Zacha would benefit from one of the smartest players around, and yes that is important as Zacha is the most important prospect in our system. We need every edge to assure he pans out.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
The only way this could be a horrible experience is if it caused a youngster we need to play to be scratched or if we were close to the cap.

Neither of those situations apply to us. There is no risk to re signing him at all.

Blender, JQ, and wood. The LWs that could play in Patty's spot would all benefit from starting in Albany.

Zacha would benefit from one of the smartest players around, and yes that is important as Zacha is the most important prospect in our system. We need every edge to assure he pans out.

Between Cammalleri and Elias, I wager there's about a 100% chance that we'll have an injury to a LW anyways that opens a spot up for a kid at some point in the season. I don't think it'll block anyone.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

We've been agreeing on a lot of things recently, and this is one of them. Signing Patty is a no-brainer, win-win scenario

If he plays, Zacha gets a full (or close to a full) season with the guy that's best suited to help him develop his NHL game.

If he gets injured, whoever's playing best in Albany will get a cup of coffee with the big team.

Money's no issue, and roster spots are no issue.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
If he can't hold up health wise he sits. It isn't really a big deal.

We have cap space for days, he wouldn't be blocking anyone, and he is Patty.

This is a no brainer to me if he thinks he can go. You sign him.

Agreed with this. Plus having guys like Elias and Cammalleri on the roster basically guarantees some time for our up-and-comers.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We've been agreeing on a lot of things recently, and this is one of them. Signing Patty is a no-brainer, win-win scenario

If he plays, Zacha gets a full (or close to a full) season with the guy that's best suited to help him develop his NHL game.

If he gets injured, whoever's playing best in Albany will get a cup of coffee with the big team.

Money's no issue, and roster spots are no issue.

Definite agreement here. I tried to think of a reason why this would be a bad thing. I guess if you think Blender HAS to be in the NHL next year or we trade for an established LW and think Boosh does.

Other than that there is zero harm in bring Patty back. Definition of low risk, high reward.

schoenfeld

2 Way Contract
Dec 10, 2006
win or lose or maybe you bring back elias if he's up for it. even if its a marginally effective forth line role another rebuilding year is not the time to throw away the best forward to ever put on a devils sweater.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The only way I could see Elias possibly being a hindrance would be if Hynes overplays him because of his status with the organization. But if he's just used as a third liner with PP time, serving as a mentor to Zacha and the other kids, why not?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad