Do you want Milan Lucic on the oilers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Normally I agree but Lucic is unique even among power forwards. He's a special case and we have a special talent who made Maroon look like a top line player. I don't believe that at any point in the next 5-6 years Lucic will be a worse player than Maroon is now.

He's also only 28. He'll be basically in his prime for the next 4-5 years.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'd sooner have to go looking for a forward then risk being up against the cap and having to deal a player for signifcantly less value to free up room to improve the defense.

Historically this team has done nothing but add to the forward group the last several years and done little to nothing to the d-core.

It's time to stop that cycle.

That's not really true though. The D core on this team turns over a ridiculous amount.

From the 13-14 not a single starting d-man is still here (Ference on LTIR). Klefbom played 17 games that season.

From the 14-15 season there is Klefbom and Fayne. And the writing is on the wall with Fayne. (Davidson played a handful of games).

Hell, it's not unreasonable to suggest that we'll have an entire new right side this season from last year.

The Oilers really have no continuity on this team anywhere. Defense, Forward or in net. It's a symptom of being a terrible team and having management perennially identifying the wrong players.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Lol this board is hilarious. Worst team in the league for 10 years no one wants to come here. We got the most high profile UFA since Pronger considering coming here and most of you:

...i dont know not at this price well in 6 years

LOL 6 years...lets first make the playoffs.

Also... For I don't know how many years "Our team is so soft" "I'm sick of us getting pushed around" "When are we going to get some goddamn toughness".
They look to sign the biggest, baddest free agent on the market and it's now "Do we really need to sign another forward?" "Oh no, he might not be a good player in the 5th and 6th year of his contract". Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

It's like there's a group of people who complain about how awful the team is yet don't want management to do what it takes to improve that team, looking for the perfect signing and trade neither of which are realistic.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Absolutely 100% yes. Everyone knows signing UFA's are risky. He would be a dynamic addition that we need.. don't care if we have 1-2 years that may be bad at the end of his deal.

My preference would be 5 years, 6M per or 6 years, 5.5M per. Anything less is gravy. Anything more is starting to get iffy, but I'd still look to get it done.

Avenger*

There is nothing to suggest signing Lucic is going to screw up the return the Oilers get for one of their current forwards.

The Oilers have $10.5 million in cap space currently. Signing another $6 million dollar forward leaves $4.5 million. That gives a lot of teams an opportunity to play hardball in a trade with the Oilers knowing that they have little room to bring in top 4 d-men without moving out significant salary. A lot of teams with the potential to move a d-man we need won't be able to take back a $6 million dollar player in return as the cap or an internal cap is the reason they are moving the player to begin with.

Moving one of the three players rumored to be traded isn't a guaranteed solution.

Avenger*

That's not really true though. The D core on this team turns over a ridiculous amount.

From the 13-14 not a single starting d-man is still here (Ference on LTIR). Klefbom played 17 games that season.

From the 14-15 season there is Klefbom and Fayne. And the writing is on the wall with Fayne. (Davidson played a handful of games).

Hell, it's not unreasonable to suggest that we'll have an entire new right side this season from last year.

The Oilers really have no continuity on this team anywhere. Defense, Forward or in net. It's a symptom of being a terrible team and having management perennially identifying the wrong players.

I'm talking the quality of the d-core, not the physical pieces moving.

You can change all six defnders every season but when the calibre remains the same it's just a lateral move.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The Oilers have $10.5 million in cap space currently. Signing another $6 million dollar forward leaves $4.5 million. That gives a lot of teams an opportunity to play hardball in a trade with the Oilers knowing that they have little room to bring in top 4 d-men without moving out significant salary. A lot of teams with the potential to move a d-man we need won't be able to take back a $6 million dollar player in return as the cap or an internal cap is the reason they are moving the player to begin with.

Moving one of the three players rumored to be traded isn't a guaranteed solution.
I think Chiarelli is smart enough to not add an expensive player without having a good idea there is going to be room. He's been heavily involved in talks for a defenseman since at least the draft. Something is going to happen. Getting Lucic to commit may also be the final thing he needs before he agrees to a trade, since he has a replacement for the exiting forward.

Avenger*

I think Chiarelli is smart enough to not add an expensive player without having a good idea there is going to be room. He's been heavily involved in talks for a defenseman since at least the draft. Something is going to happen. Getting Lucic to commit may also be the final thing he needs before he agrees to a trade, since he has a replacement for the exiting forward.

If that's the case, great but you can't blame me for being skeptical
that the team brings on Lucic and then does essentially nothing. If a single deal falls through, we're ****ed. It's a lot easier to sign a winger then it is a top four right shot defencemen.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Not if it means moving Hall for a less than stellar return..

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The expansion draft is drastically over stated. Each team will lose a single player and teams aren't going to stop improving out of fear of losing a bottom 3 defender or bottom 6 forward. Hell, most teams have contracts they wish another team would take and leaving those players exposed might actually be favorable. Every franchise is in the same boat.

Of course you think the expansion draft is overrated in terms of impact....that perspective props up your position that Chiarelli is on the wrong track.
In addressing the expansion directly...every team isnt in the same boat because each team has differing variables in terms of their cap and which players are ineligible.

It varies from team to team.

I haven't agreed with much you have posted here (stating your opinion as fact is an additional issue) but certainly you can acknowledge that there are potential variables that you havent considered that may play out in the next 10 days.

Avenger*

Of course you think the expansion draft is overrated in terms of impact....that perspective props up your position that Chiarelli is on the wrong track.
In addressing the expansion directly...every team isnt in the same boat because each team has differing variables in terms of their cap and which players are ineligible.

It varies from team to team.

I haven't agreed with much you have posted here (stating your opinion as fact is an additional issue) but certainly you can acknowledge that there are potential variables that you havent considered that may play out in the next 10 days.

There's variables to any situation that can be debated to death over anything. In most cases it's splitting hairs for the sake of an argument. Do you honestly think that the majority of posters stating an opinion on an internet forum with a single sentence have sat down and contemplated every single possible scenario? Which I remind you is technically impossible because no one here sits in on the Oilers management meetings...

The opinion I most often favor are those of insiders that have previously spoken about the issue. I put a lot more weight into their perspective then a bunch of fan boys on the internet that just want trades for the sake of trades because they think any move is better then nothing.

That aside, please show me where I have stated that my opinion is fact before?

With that being said, every team is going to lose a player so in that regard every team is on the same playing field. Some may have to get more creative then others. It's not the end of the world if we lose Letestu, Pouliot or Davidson.

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Yes I would like Milan Lucic. However i think the best forwards the Oilers have right now are Connor McDavid and Taylor Hall. I think Hall is a step above Ryan Nugent Hopkins, Jordan Eberle, Leon Draisaitl, and Nail Yakupov. I'd rather see any of those guys traded before Hall. I would not trade Hall for Lucic, that's my opinion and I am sticking to it.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Chiarelli looks like an executive in ill fitting cloths, and Lowe looks like a life long construction worker :laugh:

Yeah, that is Katz's kid as well. He'll probably be hanging around all the major events involving the franchise, it's pretty clear that he's being groomed to be the future owner when Katz retires.

This is my opinion and why i do not mind seeing him. I feel he represents his Dad in Oiler functions.

With Maroon and Kassian here what hole does Lucic actually fill?

Lots of money spent on very little improvement in the lineup.

I'd rather have Maroon with McDavid than a toolbrain like Lucic becoming unglued at the worst possible times.

Despite production Lucic was a liability on the Kings at times. I wonder how much of a distraction he was as well.

Finally, name me one player on the SJ Sharks lineup that was intimidated by Lucic this playoffs. Or one contenting team player all season that was.

Does Lucic really cause appreciable backing up in opponents? Not to any degree that impacted outcomes.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeah, Kassian has proven himself to be better/same as Lucic. What are you smoking? I wont even start on Maroon. Both have potential but i will tell you right now Maroon can play for 82 games i am sure...Kassian i cant reasonably expect to be mentally prepared for all 82 games. That is something Kassian hasnt yet proven in the NHL. He is still an enigma. With Lucic you know what you get and i , and the Oilers need that--the knowledge of what will be brought and exactly what he brings. We need Lucic.

Well the difference between maroon/kassian and lucic is about 20-30 points. 25-35 point guys vs 55-65 point guy.
I have time for lucic. But not at the expense of hall for a 2nd pairing dman.

Yup. I like giving Kassian a shot and i like Maroons Penner type humorous personality and light heartedness. Lucic will make both players better in my opinion because he comes in as their prototype. He will take the heavier duties. I honestly think you get more out of Maroon and Kassian when you are comfortable with another big go to guy like Looch

" Lowe looks like a life long construction worker"

:laugh: Maybe it's not to late to change careers.

He basically is in the development properties of the OEG now and not really in hockey involvement anymore. Atleast not at the NHL level. He has involvement in grass roots, community and our WHL interests...thats it

so yes, he is closer to a construction worker than an NHL exec. His involvement in the NHL team is basically nil now.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Yes I would like Milan Lucic. However i think the best forwards the Oilers have right now are Connor McDavid and Taylor Hall. I think Hall is a step above Ryan Nugent Hopkins, Jordan Eberle, Leon Draisaitl, and Nail Yakupov. I'd rather see any of those guys traded before Hall. I would not trade Hall for Lucic, that's my opinion and I am sticking to it.

I dont believe Eberle chatter. It makes no sense to be intentionally trying to move one of our only RH shots. A team would have to make a great RHD offer for him.

RNH and Hall, i see as more likely. Chia knows the value of his players. Plain and simple i think he knows a point will come where you WILL be losing a trade on purpose, because your hand is forced. I dont think that time is now though and certainly not with our only proven RH shot.

I dont see him losing a trade on Hall. Scoring was very low last year. lots of teams NEED it if they want butts in the seats and to be competitive.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.

Yeah but won't they have another 3.25m from Ference when he ends up on LTIR?

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009

Ference will never play again but he is choosing not to retire. regardless his cap goes on to LTIR.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
There's variables to any situation that can be debated to death over anything. In most cases it's splitting hairs for the sake of an argument. Do you honestly think that the majority of posters stating an opinion on an internet forum with a single sentence have sat down and contemplated every single possible scenario? Which I remind you is technically impossible because no one here sits in on the Oilers management meetings...

The opinion I most often favor are those of insiders that have previously spoken about the issue. I put a lot more weight into their perspective then a bunch of fan boys on the internet that just want trades for the sake of trades because they think any move is better then nothing.

That aside, please show me where I have stated that my opinion is fact before?

With that being said, every team is going to lose a player so in that regard every team is on the same playing field. Some may have to get more creative then others. It's not the end of the world if we lose Letestu, Pouliot or Davidson.

Interesting how you took an aside stated in brackets and used most of your rebuttal to focus on it. Seeing as this was far and away the most important item to you (as odd as that is) I have included a few tidbits below....

I'd sooner have to go looking for a forward then risk being up against the cap and having to deal a player for significantly less value to free up room to improve the defense.

What exactly is this based on?

The expansion draft is drastically over stated.

Again...in your opinion. Where are the so called insiders supporting this statement written as fact?

You framing my position that its the 'end of the world' if a player like Pouliot gets taken...of course it isnt but its still potentially impactful in terms of decision making. The point I am making here is that its an additional variable and not a meaningless minor inconvenience like you are framing it to be.

The unnecessary 'fanboy' insult you included aside....where have I specifically stated that any move is perfectly okay?

My position is as I have stated it which you seem to be glossing over repeatedly.
There is still much to consider before we can judge Chiarelli and lump him into the history that you seem to think is relevant despite the circumstances being entirely different.

Case in point...IF the team signs Lucic (assuming they will...I wont even mention Demers at this point) they will have an unprecedented surplus of top 6 offensive players. Yes they are easier to obtain than top 4 dmen but they are still valuable especially when we are talking about cap friendly assets like Hall.

The team has never had an excess of assets (packaged or not) like they do now to parlay into players to fill in the holes on D.

Thats a major distinction that you continuously (and seemingly willfully) overlook.

That the team brings on Lucic and then does essentially nothing. If a single deal falls through, we're ****ed.

Maybe the team will be ****ed...maybe they wont. No point in getting heated up over things at this early stage.

How about we wait and find out what happens before we use a different Management teams history as an indicator of what is likely to happen.

Last edited:

vincent1999

May 5, 2014
Lucic or Er

If Hall is available we will get some solid offers. Players like him don't hit the market often.

Rather than acquiring a LW Lucic (and exposing a potential trade of Hall), a better UFA acquisition at less money would be RW/LW Loui Eriksson who would allow for the option of trading the less valuable asset of Eberle.

And it's unlikely that any top tier d-men such as Pietrangelo is on the trading block, and Hall is an overpayment for the likes of Hamonic or Shattenkirk etc.

Also, it would be nice to get back the 2017 2nd pick, which I believe the Oilers would need if they wanted to put an offer sheet out on someone like Seth Jones. Even if Columbus matches, it would start the ball rolling wrt them and their salary cap issues etc, and maybe then a trade for one of their other d-men D. Savard or R. Murray might open up

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The expansion draft is drastically over stated. Each team will lose a single player and teams aren't going to stop improving out of fear of losing a bottom 3 defender or bottom 6 forward. Hell, most teams have contracts they wish another team would take and leaving those players exposed might actually be favorable. Every franchise is in the same boat.

This I agree with... every team is indeed in the same boat and will lose 1 decent player... but it won't be franchise altering and every team will lose equally and there will be opportunities in the next ~12 months to move some decent assets to position their respective teams for that eventual loss.

I agree also... for some teams, they are likely hoping they lose some of their more expensive contracts which are pressuring them against the cap ceiling... so losing a decent but expensive asset may actually be beneficial.

Above all... as others have noted... a team can't be looking at standing pat and focusing too much on losing that 1 player... and not trying to improve their roster because of a draft 1 year away.

A manager should always be looking to increase the quality and quantity of talent in the org no matter what might happen in the future regarding expansion etc.

Again... if a team can add 2 or 3 better assets which improves the team.. and eventually loses 1 asset a year from now... that's a net gain.

Instead if they do nothing they will still lose 1 decent asset a year from now... and will likely have a net loss from "sitting still" instead of constantly trying to upgrade and improve.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I don't know why people assume Lucic in means Hall out. If anything it solidifies our top 6 on the left side.

The odd man out who probably holds fairly good value is RNH. McDavid-Drai will be #1-2 going forward. If we can move RNH for a right handed D plus an NHL calibre 3rd line centre added I would do it.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/expansion

Don't know if you've all seen this.. but that's a pretty cool little expansion draft tool that helps give some perspective on what teams may be doing regarding who they will protect/not protect.

Of course a LOT will change over the next 12 months in terms of players on each team ... but my general take after looking through many of the teams is that the expansion draft won't be as big a deal as some are making it out to be.

vincent1999

May 5, 2014
Hall is a keeper at all costs

exactly. My "untouchables" on the Oilers are 4: McDavid; Hall; Klefblom; Talbot. Also, Yakupov's trade value is so low that it simply makes no sense to give him away at this point. Let's wait and see if he can blossom into a top six forward, otherwise getting a nickel or a dime on a dollar, or a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick with little chance of that body becoming a solid NHL player is poor asset management.

as such, wrt Yakupov it might become an option next year of protecting in the expansion draft either Yak or a defencemen. Well, we must loose one player, and for example the Oilers already paid 2 1st round picks in 2015 for Reinhart, and if Yak is only worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick, well other possible exposed players such as Eberle, RNH, or a Pouliot would all cost more to acquire than a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I don't know why people assume Lucic in means Hall out. If anything it solidifies our top 6 on the left side.

The odd man out who probably holds fairly good value is RNH. McDavid-Drai will be #1-2 going forward. If we can move RNH for a right handed D plus an NHL calibre 3rd line centre added I would do it.

Stauffer was harping on it earlier in the day.

Of course, rumors coming out of NJ suggest that the devils were looking at RNH, not Hall, which makes more sense of course. Chia would have to be a moron to move a star winger for a defenseman of the caliber of Larsson; even with things added to the deal by NJ.

Last edited:

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Not if it means moving Hall for a less than stellar return..

pretty much

just cuz the guy is high profile and wants to sign, doesn't mean it should be a slam dunk.

the team needs to move bodies, and needs D. You can't just trade one of the best players in the game to make room for a 28 year old PF cuz it's alleged he wants to sign here and is a sexy name.

I mean if we heard Stamkos wanted to sign in Edmonton and it would cost an exorbitant amount of money, with term and a NMC, should they still be obliged to make it happen? I would say **** no.

gotta be smart

signing Lucic so you can accept a lower offer on this high quality an asset (Hall) is stupid IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad