Do you think the Rangers should re-sign Marc Staal long term?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
With Skjei going back to school for one more year, while simultaneously banging on the door for a LHD spot with the Rangers, is it worth it to re-sign Marc Staal for the undoubtedly huge paycheck he will command?

I wouldn't. Lots of quality LHD that are developing nicely, his contract will be outrageous for what he provides, and it's just not smart decision making to invest so much money in a defense core that can't score.

Not too related but looking at it now, I know I'm going to really hate Girardi's contract in a year or two.

Last edited:

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
id say no. i think its irresponsible to sign so many defenseman to so many huge contracts. hes a monster asset that can bring back a lot of pieces that could help us now and long term.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
He has a significant injury history, isn't what he once was, and will command a crazy contract. We have kids coming in and need that cap space to make upgrades elsewhere. I'd deal him if someone made an attractive offer.

JayMan82

Apr 5, 2006
South Carolina
Agree with Inferno... Considering how many teams are in the in the mix for Defensemen right now, along with the need we have for more offensive talent, he would be the one that stands out to be moved.

Although he was great against the Pens, my two eyes saw him struggle quite a bit in the finals. Also, he is showing more and more that he has absolutely no offensive upside, which is a negative regarding the system we want to play (upbeat, transition where the D gets highly involved).

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I think he had offensive talent but his shot and passing is really the big thing he hasn't gotten back after the injury

Garfinkel1

Jun 28, 2008
CT
People don't realize how important he is to the Rangers. Guy was considered a top 10 shutdown D. Cool hands. Always win the board battle and makes a smart first pass. A few injuries set him back and he's only being foreshadowed by a future noris trophy winner. He gives us so much depth on the blue line. No way in hell we keep LA in check without him.

Edit: Any player on the roster is tradable for the right offer. The reason he garneshes such a big return is because of his impact on the ice. I wouldn't trade him for fair or equal value. If a team is gonna overpay, they can have him.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I honestly love the guy and think he's a huge part of this team, but he's a big time asset and I don't think we can lock up so much money in our defense long term, especially with guys like Skejl, etc who will be ready in a few years..

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
I honestly love the guy and think he's a huge part of this team, but he's a big time asset and I don't think we can lock up so much money in our defense long term, especially with guys like Skejl, etc who will be ready in a few years..

It'd be McD, G and Staal on longterm. That's 3/6 ds in first pairing quality.

Just stay away from the NMC and you a big asset to deal, if need to be. Can't look at it as a roadbumb for a guy never player a game yet.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
It'd be McD, G and Staal on longterm. That's 3/6 ds in first pairing quality.

Just stay away from the NMC and you a big asset to deal, if need to be. Can't look at it as a roadbumb for a guy never player a game yet.

I think it's time to stop saying we have three first pairing defensemen. There is a massive gulf between where McDonagh is and where Staal and Girardi are. Staal is a solid, not amazing, shutdown guy with permanently impaired eyesight heading toward the wrong side of the aging curve. Whatever offensive and puck handling abilities he had before the eye injury are basically gone now.

Look at our cap situation. It's nearly impossible for us to make upgrades. After 2014-15 we're going to have to trust that someone out of the Skjei/Allen/Bodie group will be able to step in for him. Otherwise we're never going to be able to gear up for another Hank era cup run.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Its tough with Stralman gone. You don't know if Skjei will be ready for second pairing minutes to start out the 2015-16 season. I don't think J. Moore would be able to. So you'd be left with:

McD - Girardi
???? - Boyle/Klein
Moore/Skjei - Klein/Boyle

Could sign a one year stop gap for the second pairing LD. Allen and McI are RD.

The problem becomes if they want to trade him this season due to him wanting too much term/money they would need someone coming back that can play second pairing minutes. That would be addressing a short term problem when the assets they get back in a deal should be addressing the teams biggest issue, which is up the middle.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Staal's importance to this team is decreasing as the likes of Stepan, Kreider, Zucc and Hagelin have all surpassed him as key core players. It would not be a prudent business decision to pay him Girardi money, especially given the depth of LHD in the system, and that Skjei is the obvious in house eventual replacement. This is part of the balancing act of assembling a team in the cap era. Moving Staal should bring back a #1 and a quality young player. Things would be made easier if Skjei wasn't a year to year and a half away.

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
I think it's time to stop saying we have three first pairing defensemen. There is a massive gulf between where McDonagh is and where Staal and Girardi are. Staal is a solid, not amazing, shutdown guy with permanently impaired eyesight heading toward the wrong side of the aging curve. Whatever offensive and puck handling abilities he had before the eye injury are basically gone now.

Look at our cap situation. It's nearly impossible for us to make upgrades. After 2014-15 we're going to have to trust that someone out of the Skjei/Allen/Bodie group will be able to step in for him. Otherwise we're never going to be able to gear up for another Hank era cup run.

I hear you but that's a our second pair. Won't be that easy to replace him with a rookie let alone when the new parter is Boyle who isn't the very best in his own zone.

SupersonicMonkey*

Staal's importance to this team is decreasing as the likes of Stepan, Kreider, Zucc and Hagelin have all surpassed him as key core players. It would not be a prudent business decision to pay him Girardi money, especially given the depth of LHD in the system, and that Skjei is the obvious in house eventual replacement. This is part of the balancing act of assembling a team in the cap era. Moving Staal should bring back a #1 and a quality young player. Things would be made easier if Skjei wasn't a year to year and a half away.

Agree.

To add: 3 concussions and a major eye injury in the last 3 seasons. He is not the same player he once was. If he was, this conversation wouldn't be happening. And he will always be behind McDonagh. Can't pay a guy #1 defenseman money when he is on the 2nd pair.

Get a 1st round pick in 2015, a prospect, and a young-ish depth player.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Sens are sinking, Karlsson wants out, trade him for Karlsson :naughty:

True, and I'd do that in a heartbeat. Ottawa wouldn't do that, because then THEY would have the issue of signing him and spending big money for a player that is steady yet "iffy" in regard to his health.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Agree.

To add: 3 concussions and a major eye injury in the last 3 seasons. He is not the same player he once was. If he was, this conversation wouldn't be happening. And he will always be behind McDonagh. Can't pay a guy #1 defenseman money when he is on the 2nd pair.

Get a 1st round pick in 2015, a prospect, and a young-ish depth player.

Rangers should target a young NHL level center or left wing and a first. May be a little more added if the Rangers allow the team some time to negotiate an extension.

The question would be who fills in that spot? Moore in the top four would be terrible. Don't think you could pair up a rookie like Allen with Boyle. You could pair up Klein with Allen but a Moore-Boyle random you give Lundqvist nightmares.

Could split up McD and Girardi and do something like:

McD - Boyle
Allen - Girardi
Moore - Klein

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Rangers should target a young NHL level center or left wing and a first. May be a little more added if the Rangers allow the team some time to negotiate an extension.

The question would be who fills in that spot? Moore in the top four would be terrible. Don't think you could pair up a rookie like Allen with Boyle. You could pair up Klein with Allen but a Moore-Boyle random you give Lundqvist nightmares.

McD - Boyle
Allen - Girardi
Moore - Klein

That defensive setup actually doesn't bother me as a stopgap.

SupersonicMonkey*

McD - Boyle
Allen - Girardi
Moore - Klein

This is why Stralman was so integral.

It is an issue they will have to deal with until Skjei takes a spot. And why they are pushing for him to sign his ELC this summer.

But, they can't commit the years and cap hit Staal will get just because there will be a hole on the 2nd pair for maybe a year at most.

They wanted to take the downgrade in defense to risk adding more offense from the blue line (Dan Boyle signing instead of Stralman) now they have to show faith in a younger guy on the left side soon enough.

SupersonicMonkey*

That defensive setup actually doesn't bother me as a stopgap.

Yeah it makes sense.

I would even go with:

McDonagh - Klein
Moore - Girardi
Allen - Boyle

Shelter the 3rd pair a little 5v5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad