Do you think the players should vote on new Executive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
On March 1, as being reported, over 100 players are gathering in Toronto for a rank and file meeting. I believe they will dissolve the current executive and formally vote in a new one. How can they not? Linden and Damphousse have done nothing. Two other members are over in Europe playing...come one...if they aren't going to fire Goodenow then at least form a new executive. How will it hurt?? It will only serve to help. New eyes, new thoughts and a whole new perspective is what is needed.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
IMO it'll simply be an informational session for the union to tell the reps and anyone who cares to listen what happens next, followed by lots of drum banging and "We Shall Overcome" hymnals for the benefit of the cameras. I doubt a single one of them will have the seeds to even ask how they can get a better deal than what they turned down last week.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
Peter said:
On March 1, as being reported, over 100 players are gathering in Toronto for a rank and file meeting. I believe they will dissolve the current executive and formally vote in a new one. How can they not? Linden and Damphousse have done nothing. Two other members are over in Europe playing...come one...if they aren't going to fire Goodenow then at least form a new executive. How will it hurt?? It will only serve to help. New eyes, new thoughts and a whole new perspective is what is needed.

I assume since there's two sides to this that you'll be asking for the league's negotiating committee to resign as well? Lamorillo, Hotchkiss, Daly, whoever else who at one point in time had a hand in the negotiations? And Bettman, fire him too, "how can they not"? The new eyes, new thoughts crap works both ways, the owners' side was just as incompetent at getting a deal done. Better fire all of them too.

chara

Mar 31, 2004
If they do look to add new blood to the Executive, look for Shane Doan to be moved up. There is no doubt that the players recognize the importance of Wayne Gretzky to help sell a deal to ownership that will move the owners off any rigid position on a hard cap. Doan can help them bridge that gap.

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Get out the Kool-Aid !!! WHAT A JOKE !! Fair deal blah blah..beat the drum...blah blah, YOU JUST KISSED 1.2 BILLION OF SALARY GOODBYE...IDIOTS LEB BY A BIGGER IDIOT..FIRE GOODENOW SO 1.2 BILLION DOESN'T TURN INTO 2.4 BILLION.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Peter said:

It all depends on how good the legs are for the gretzky article. Does it get played up from coast to coast in all the other media formats oir is it just swept under the carpet. If it doesn't get swept away I can very much see there being tremendous pressure on the leadership to resign or get something done. As for that being the implication of the meeting I think it would just be an information session. I have no idea how the union works or what mechanisms are in place to replace leadership (i wouldn't be surprised if even the players don't really know!)

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
Chuck Shick said:
Get out the Kool-Aid !!! WHAT A JOKE !! Fair deal blah blah..beat the drum...blah blah, YOU JUST KISSED 1.2 BILLION OF SALARY GOODBYE...IDIOTS LEB BY A BIGGER IDIOT..FIRE GOODENOW SO 1.2 BILLION DOESN'T TURN INTO 2.4 BILLION.
Agreed.

The NHLPA should start all over.

They should have players in the executive committe that are truly representative of the NHLPA.

They should also have players in the exective committe who have at least one brain among them and who are not simply blind followers of the executive director.

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Does Any Player Have The Stones To Come Out And Blast Goodenow ???after They Have Stabbed Gretz And Mario In The Back ? If I Was A Senior Player In The Nhlpa I Would Reflect On What Took Place On Saturday In New York And I Would Put My Foot Down And Oust This Clown Publicly. Someone Has To Come To Their Senses On The Pa Side Because They Have No Where To Go.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
The players just lost one year's salary and may lose more. Lets review the reasons to not fire everyone. Hmmm, cant think of any.

I predict movement around the end of April when the taxman takes his bite.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I look for the NHLPA meeting to be more a anti-owner rally than a discussion session. The leadership will motivate the troops to stay strong. Absolutely NOTHING will change based on this meeting unless the dissatisfied players show up in sufficient number and speak out loud and clear. I do not expect that to happen.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I think they should dissolve the union and have no union.
This is all Alan Eagleson's fault!!
Why did he have to get Orr his millions. If that had never happened we'd all be watching hockey happily in our living rooms where players get don't get payed ridiculous amounts of money.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
gc2005 said:
I assume since there's two sides to this that you'll be asking for the league's negotiating committee to resign as well? Lamorillo, Hotchkiss, Daly, whoever else who at one point in time had a hand in the negotiations? And Bettman, fire him too, "how can they not"? The new eyes, new thoughts crap works both ways, the owners' side was just as incompetent at getting a deal done. Better fire all of them too.

Not at all. From my standpoint, the NHL got exactly what they were looking for...they're winning IMO. Why break up that committee?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Hoek said:
I would welcome any sort of change from either side. The status quo is not an option.

Unfortunetaly, we don't know the internal proceedings.

I think what happens in these meetings will set the tone for the process over the spring and summer. We'll never know what happens in the PA meeting.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Peter said:
wow - the league implodes when we finally have a chance to win a cup - maybe the last chance - we are making money - and you side with the owners - you're a canuck fan? - ouch
ps - if they bail on bob now they're hosed for good -

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Why would the players vote a new executive now? The plan was, it will take a couple maybe 3 years for the owners to come around. The players knew this, planned for this, have strike pay to cover this, and are going forward with this.

The owners know this, and used the 1st year cancellation they knew would go through to face wash the players a bit. But the fight is to last a couple of years. This is the plan. The players are still on schedule. And after conceeding everything in one last chance at sanity at partnership, and still getting no deal to avoid total chaos, I imagine, total chaos it is.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
getnziggywidit said:
Agreed.

The NHLPA should start all over.

They should have players in the executive committe that are truly representative of the NHLPA.

They should also have players in the exective committe who have at least one brain among them and who are not simply blind followers of the executive director.

Are you a member of the NHLPA in any capacity?
Have you went to any of their meetings?
Do you have a clue what you are talking about?

Unless you are a player OR an owner, you know NOTHING about whats going on. Your opinions about the PA inner workings are based upon ignorance

dakota

May 18, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
thinkwild said:
Why would the players vote a new executive now? The plan was, it will take a couple maybe 3 years for the owners to come around. The players knew this, planned for this, have strike pay to cover this, and are going forward with this.

The owners know this, and used the 1st year cancellation they knew would go through to face wash the players a bit. But the fight is to last a couple of years. This is the plan. The players are still on schedule. And after conceeding everything in one last chance at sanity at partnership, and still getting no deal to avoid total chaos, I imagine, total chaos it is.

if everything is going according to the way the NHLPA planned then they deserve everything that will be coming to them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad