Do you think the owners really want to cancel the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

likea

Jul 9, 2004
DementedReality said:
likea said:
lets count who is still on Bettmans side for certain

Penguins
Caps
Canes
Panthers
Sens
Nucks
Kings
Ducks
Lightning
Bruins
Sabres
Preds
Thrashers
Blue Jackets
Sharks
Flames
Oilers
Wild
Blackhawks
Yotes

i strongly question why these teams would not support a 24% reduction in salary + the games beginning over a lengthy and ugly work stoppage. unless of course their mandate all along was something other than what they claimed.

dr

the 24% reduction means absolutely nothing to the majority of these teams because the bigger teams will still set the market and the price of all the FA's therefore they will not be able to sign those FA's

that proposal is trying to bribe the big market owners to put pressure on the smaller market owners

the NHL owners took care of that by needing just 8 votes to shut out a proposal and continue with the lockout

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
likea said:
the 24% reduction means absolutely nothing to the majority of these teams because the bigger teams will still set the market and the price of all the FA's therefore they will not be able to sign those FA's

that proposal is trying to bribe the big market owners to put pressure on the smaller market owners

the NHL owners took care of that by needing just 8 votes to shut out a proposal and continue with the lockout

i know the mechanics, its been argued ad naseum on this board. im suggesting you under estimate value business people place on real life dollars.

mentioned elsewhere, the owners dont WANT stiffer luxury taxes because they dont want to share revenue. most fans have it backwards. the owners will take a luxury tax so stiff if will never occur, but not a luxury tax that actually results in revenue sharing.

why else would bob goodeneough say that they dont mind "reducing" the taxes if the owners asked. doesnt that seem contradictory to what most would think he would be saying. dont ask me for a link, it was a sound byte on TV on Thursday.

this deal makes each franchise profitable and their value has risen. immediatly.

dr

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
likea said:

well lets take a look individually at some of the teams mentioned and see if your argument holds up

Penguins - need a new areana period, or they can't survive, cap or no cap
Sens - a top 3 or 4 NHL team
Nucks - most profitable NHL team, can afford any free agent they want
Kings - big market team
Lightning - Stanley Cup Champs
Bruins - big market team
Thrashers - big market team
Flames - Stanley Cup finalist
Blackhawks - Big market team
Yotes - were spending freely this offseason

SENSible1*

DementedReality said:
in fairness, if the owners came to the table with a 70m hard cap offer, id consider that negotiating. if they come back with a 32m cap and other severe changes, then its clearly not negotiating, simply bullying becuase they feel they can.

dr

Glad you figured it out by your second attempt.

the owners have not moved one bit off of their "ideolgy" since day 1 and the players have. its clear who is negotiating and who isnt.

The players haven't moved off their ideology one bit. In fact, they just offered the largest bribe in sport history in order to maintain their ideology.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
Thunderstruck said:
The players haven't moved off their ideology one bit. In fact, they just offered the largest bribe in sport history in order to maintain their ideology.

we will have to disagree.. first off, id consider the players offer a concession, not a bribe. second off, their are many changes proposed and open to negotiation from the players. some more effective than others, but changes none the less.

what have the owners tabled that contains something equal to the players offer of 500 million dollars ?

likea

Jul 9, 2004
DementedReality said:
i know the mechanics, its been argued ad naseum on this board. im suggesting you under estimate value business people place on real life dollars.

mentioned elsewhere, the owners dont WANT stiffer luxury taxes because they dont want to share revenue. most fans have it backwards. the owners will take a luxury tax so stiff if will never occur, but not a luxury tax that actually results in revenue sharing.

why else would bob goodeneough say that they dont mind "reducing" the taxes if the owners asked. doesnt that seem contradictory to what most would think he would be saying. dont ask me for a link, it was a sound byte on TV on Thursday.

this deal makes each franchise profitable and their value has risen. immediatly.

dr

first, give me a link to where Goodenow states that

second, the owners are the ones the set the revenue sharing plan in the agreement just exchanged....read it

its on NHLPA's website

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
likea said:
first, give me a link to where Goodenow states that

second, the owners are the ones the set the revenue sharing plan in the agreement just exchanged....read it

its on NHLPA's website

The NHLPA is absolutely the ones pushing for more revenue sharing, something the NHL has very much been against.

likea

Jul 9, 2004
John Flyers Fan said:
well lets take a look individually at some of the teams mentioned and see if your argument holds up

Penguins - need a new areana period, or they can't survive, cap or no cap
Sens - a top 3 or 4 NHL team
Nucks - most profitable NHL team, can afford any free agent they want
Kings - big market team
Lightning - Stanley Cup Champs
Bruins - big market team
Thrashers - big market team
Flames - Stanley Cup finalist
Blackhawks - Big market team
Yotes - were spending freely this offseason

what does your list have to do with anything, they all need cost certainty

lets use your list

The Penguins would have Jagr, Kovy, Lemieux, Kasper, Boughner, Francis, Straka, Lang ect.... if they were able to compete and pay what big money teams could pay....attendence would not be a problem if they had all those players....while they do need a new arena to compete just 4 years ago the Pens made a profit with a 34 million dollar payroll

The Sens will lose all their talent once they become UFA's if the same system is in place

the Nucks were losing money just 5-8 years ago, wait until they have a downturn..and attendence drops, they will be in trouble again...esp. if the US dollar goes up

the Kings have been bleeding money, read the fan report.....it might be in a big markt but that is not a big market team

Lightning are losing less money this year with no hockey then if games were being played, whos side do you think they are on????????????

Flames- stanley cup runner up???? who cares, they still need cost certainty and are def. on Bettmans side

The Yotes spent because no big market teams were there to raise the prices of the players, it was a buyers market, same reason the Pens got Recchi and will sign a few players if a cap is agreed upon....

everyone of the teams you listed are on bettmans side....8 votes is all that is needed to say no thanks to any proposal

when the NHLPA makes a good enough deal for 23 teams to sign off on, then the lockout will be over but 24% means nothing to most of those teams

likea

Jul 9, 2004
John Flyers Fan said:
The NHLPA is absolutely the ones pushing for more revenue sharing, something the NHL has very much been against.

yes, that statement is correct, nothing like suggesting how to spend someone elses money....

but what I stated was correct also, the proposal just exchanged was what the NHL wanted in revenue sharing

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
likea said:
yes, that statement is correct, nothing like suggesting how to spend someone elses money....

but what I stated was correct also, the proposal just exchanged was what the NHL wanted in revenue sharing

yes that statement is correct, but they only want limited revenue sharing. doesnt the fact the PA's proposal is exactly what the NHL asked for count in favour of the merits of the proposal ? would you have prefered they didnt use what the NHL asked for ?

dr

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
likea said:

Revenue sharing is the key to making thins more "competitive".

All a hard cap of $40 million without significant revenuesharing will do is to make it so the owners of the Leafs, Flyers, Rangers, etc. will pocket millions and millions of dollars in profit.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
likea said:
everyone of the teams you listed are on bettmans side....8 votes is all that is needed to say no thanks to any proposal

when the NHLPA makes a good enough deal for 23 teams to sign off on, then the lockout will be over but 24% means nothing to most of those teams

Ididn't say that the teams weren't on Bettman's side, but it is for financial gain and not cometitive edge oin the ice gain.

likea

Jul 9, 2004
John Flyers Fan said:
Revenue sharing is the key to making thins more "competitive".

All a hard cap of $40 million without significant revenuesharing will do is to make it so the owners of the Leafs, Flyers, Rangers, etc. will pocket millions and millions of dollars in profit.

thats just not true, again, lets take the Pens for example

4 years ago they made a profit with a 34 million dollar payroll

imagine their attendence levels if they could have kept their FA's instead of having to trade them for money once injuries occured

40 million stops big market teams from out prices the small market teams and therefore they have a chnace to keep their own players

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
likea said:

lets use your list

The Penguins would have Jagr, Kovy, Lemieux, Kasper, Boughner, Francis, Straka, Lang ect.... if they were able to compete and pay what big money teams could pay....attendence would not be a problem if they had all those players....while they do need a new arena to compete just 4 years ago the Pens made a profit with a 34 million dollar payroll

i disagree and would go as far as to say that PIT doesnt deserve to be able to keep those players. they dont have NHL revenues, so why should they ? the reason they dont have those kinds of revenues is because they refused to privatly finance their own arena and are now suffering for it. The Canucks on the other hand couldnt get a public arena, so financed it themselves and are very profitable now.

likea said:
The Sens will lose all their talent once they become UFA's if the same system is in place

completely unfounded. they didnt lose Alfreddson did they ? why cant they keep or trade their players ?

likea said:
the Nucks were losing money just 5-8 years ago, wait until they have a downturn..and attendence drops, they will be in trouble again...esp. if the US dollar goes up

yes, its true. how ironic the argument that a cap is a must so all teams can sign high end talents, yet the reason teh Canucks were losing on the ice and on the balance sheet was because they were signing high priced players. as soon as they changed that strategy they started winning and making a profit.

likea said:
the Kings have been bleeding money, read the fan report.....it might be in a big markt but that is not a big market team

ok, so lets shut down LA. the NFL didnt mind, why should the NHL ?

likea said:
Lightning are losing less money this year with no hockey then if games were being played, whos side do you think they are on????????????

a 24% reduction is just fine for them. they have the momentum of a stanley cup to cash in on.

likea said:
Flames- stanley cup runner up???? who cares, they still need cost certainty and are def. on Bettmans side

CGY is an NHL market, they would be fools to prefer the war and casualty to get a cap, when they can take a 24% reduction and a season to play.

likea said:
The Yotes spent because no big market teams were there to raise the prices of the players, it was a buyers market, same reason the Pens got Recchi and will sign a few players if a cap is agreed upon....

1) so PHX should be raring to start the season as well positioned as they ever had to be succesful. 2) i thought it was the big markets who were going to go on a signing spree ? if the changes now allows PIT to also play in that field, isnt this what YOU WANT ?

dr

YellHockey*

likea said:

lets use your list

You mean like Daniel Alfredsson?

They also did stupid things like outbid the Rangers for Messier when they were losing money. If attendance drops it will only be because the team stinks and if that happens, the payroll will drop as well.

They also had big money deals in place for players who couldn't play. That made a playoff team a playoff pretender. The teams got lots of good young players in their system now and could be a major factor in the Western Conference really soon.

Garbage. The Lightning would probably pack one of the biggest rinks in the NHL this season on the basis of winning the Cup. They're watching one of the best teams in the league take a 24% paycut.

They didn't need cost certainty, they just needed a GM with a brain. They've got that now and if the Flames team is as good as it was last year, they could become the next Vancouver.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
DementedReality said:
i disagree and would go as far as to say that PIT doesnt deserve to be able to keep those players. they dont have NHL revenues, so why should they ? the reason they dont have those kinds of revenues is because they refused to privatly finance their own arena and are now suffering for it. The Canucks on the other hand couldnt get a public arena, so financed it themselves and are very profitable now.

hmmm spending money to make more money, what a novel concept ... maybe someone should clue the Pens, Hawks and Bruins into this novel concept ...

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
DementedReality said:
likea said:
lets count who is still on Bettmans side for certain

Penguins

i strongly question why these teams would not support a 24% reduction in salary + the games beginning over a lengthy and ugly work stoppage. unless of course their mandate all along was something other than what they claimed.

dr

There was an article in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette yesterday that analyzed the proposal from the Pens perspective. The 24% roll back would sav them @$3 mil on the 16 players currently under contract. Then they would have to proceed to sign their other players, many of whom will be looking for more money.

A 24% rollback would not even help the Pens much this year, let alone in the future where it is obvious that there is nothing on the table to ensure long term financial stability.

The Pens would clearly be against this.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
DementedReality said:
well, if i wanted to negotiate to buy your car from you and was offering only my Metallica music collection. YOu would rightly come back and tell me you will never accept my music collection in trade. If I then came back with a proposal that still included my music collection, could you say i was negotiating ?

the owners have not moved one bit off of their "ideolgy" since day 1 and the players have. its clear who is negotiating and who isnt.

Interesting example. But you drew the wrong conclusion.

The seller of the car equates to the owners. They are saying "we must get paid cash, or were not interested." The buyer is the NHLPA, saying "here's my tape collection." When told no, they come back with "ok, here's my tape collection, *and* a black velvet painting of Elvis."

The players are presenting things of value, but not what the owners want. Why should they have to accept an offer they don't want?

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
DementedReality said:
The Canucks on the other hand couldnt get a public arena, so financed it themselves and are very profitable now.

Note, the company that spent the hundreds of millions needed to build the arena didn't profit at all from it. Drove them info debt so much that they ended up having to sell the team and building for peanuts. Arthur Griffiths still regrets the whole thing.

But hey, worked out great for the *buyer*.

So yeah, if Pittsburgh's current owners want to make a lot of money for somebody else, then by all means, build their own building.

Brent Burns Beard