Do you think the Bolts make the playoffs this year?

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
That's a little harsh. Carle is the only contract that's gone completely sour. Flip has had great moments and bad moments. He was bad for a lot of this year, but he's been good for a lot of it too. Callahan's having a bad season, but it's hard to call him a bad signing based on that. He was bad at times in the playoffs last year, but might have salvaged them by being one of very few guys who was good in the finals. And I have no idea how you think Garrison hasn't met expectations. He's been far better than any reasonable expectation.

It's only a cap crunch if the contracts can't be moved. The one contract that can't be moved is Carle. He's regressed to the point that he's no longer an NHLer. We could still move Flip or Cally if it came to that. There's no way we'd even consider moving Garrison. He's outplayed his contract. I'd more expect us to resign him than move him before the contract is up.

That's because I still remember Yzie saying that he'd be great on our power play :sarcasm:

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Everything about the power play is Cooper's failure. How many "[player X] will make the power play functional" players need to come into the organization before we finally just give up even thinking it's going to work? Cooper is an irritating **** to deal with, because it sure looks like he operates the power play personnel on merit; you have to "earn" those minutes, yet he then undermines this philosophy when Drouin can't get on the ice, JAM does, and then JAM gets PP minutes instead...

...no, I'm not talking about right now. I'm talking about during Game 6 of the ECSF last season when the Lightning were on the verge of a complete meltdown against the Canadiens. I'm not so sure how Marchessault, who at that point had played all of two regular season games (game 82 being one of them) and none during the postseason through the first 12 games, merited that dressing and then was able to get PP time, but that did actually happen, yes.

At some point, a point that we're long past, obviously, it's not the personnel that are the problem, it's the actual system. Cooper's system is based on controlled breakouts, and operating the point. Neither of these are tenets of the 5v5 game that the Lightning employ. When your bread and butter is speed and forechecking through center, and the PP strategy (when coming back up) is controlled breakouts that don't fit personnel, and see entries reduced to dump-ins far too frequently, then something is obviously wrong, and that's just from getting into the zone in the first place.

All I know is that Barberio was the PP QB that we needed and wasn't used. Then there was the playoffs last year where Nesterov provided a spark when he played, and then that spark eventually withered out. Are any of us really going to count on Koekkoek or DeAngelo to become that guy? If any of you are, then, please, give up and breathe once you can actually see your face turning blue.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Everything about the power play is Cooper's failure. How many "[player X] will make the power play functional" players need to come into the organization before we finally just give up even thinking it's going to work? Cooper is an irritating **** to deal with, because it sure looks like he operates the power play personnel on merit; you have to "earn" those minutes, yet he then undermines this philosophy when Drouin can't get on the ice, JAM does, and then JAM gets PP minutes instead...

...no, I'm not talking about right now. I'm talking about during Game 6 of the ECSF last season when the Lightning were on the verge of a complete meltdown against the Canadiens. I'm not so sure how Marchessault, who at that point had played all of two regular season games (game 82 being one of them) and none during the postseason through the first 12 games, merited that dressing and then was able to get PP time, but that did actually happen, yes.

At some point, a point that we're long past, obviously, it's not the personnel that are the problem, it's the actual system. Cooper's system is based on controlled breakouts, and operating the point. Neither of these are tenets of the 5v5 game that the Lightning employ. When your bread and butter is speed and forechecking through center, and the PP strategy (when coming back up) is controlled breakouts that don't fit personnel, and see entries reduced to dump-ins far too frequently, then something is obviously wrong, and that's just from getting into the zone in the first place.

All I know is that Barberio was the PP QB that we needed and wasn't used. Then there was the playoffs last year where Nesterov provided a spark when he played, and then that spark eventually withered out. Are any of us really going to count on Koekkoek or DeAngelo to become that guy? If any of you are, then, please, give up and breathe once you can actually see your face turning blue.

Sorry man, I was with you until that. We don't have an ideal PP QB, Hedman was "supposed" to be it but isn't. A PP is something that's very tough to figure out until it feels right, kind of like finding the right woman. I'm not going to defend Cooper forever but we lack a good bit in terms of personnel, not just a PP QB. We need a big body in front with the man advantage. That goes a long way and we've not had that since Ryan Malone before he fell in love with the booger sugar. It'd do wonders.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Sorry man, I was with you until that. We don't have an ideal PP QB, Hedman was "supposed" to be it but isn't. A PP is something that's very tough to figure out until it feels right, kind of like finding the right woman. I'm not going to defend Cooper forever but we lack a good bit in terms of personnel, not just a PP QB. We need a big body in front with the man advantage. That goes a long way and we've not had that since Ryan Malone before he fell in love with the booger sugar. It'd do wonders.

He got a point, Barbs got all tools needed to run a good powerplay, could have kept him if it wasn't for Carle :rant:

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
He got a point, Barbs got all tools needed to run a good powerplay, could have kept him if it wasn't for Carle :rant:

Nesterov is a (slightly) better version of Barberio, particularly on the powerplay, yet Coop is not using it. I don't miss Barbs one bit personally. I don't get why Coop keeps Stralman on the point though, he's not aggressive enough, doesn't shoot enough and doesn't possess a great shot either. Pretty mind-boggling for a team struggling to get shots on net on man-advantage.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
We piss away too many games that we NEED to win and that we SHOULD win.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I really wanted Barbs to work out, but he was never going to. I hope he does well (even in Montreal), but if Mark freakin Barberio was the answer to our PP woes, it's not a hard problem to solve. We can get one of those for something like a 6th. Unfortunately, that's just not the case.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Nesterov is a (slightly) better version of Barberio, particularly on the powerplay, yet Coop is not using it. I don't miss Barbs one bit personally. I don't get why Coop keeps Stralman on the point though, he's not aggressive enough, doesn't shoot enough and doesn't possess a great shot either. Pretty mind-boggling for a team struggling to get shots on net on man-advantage.

Yeah Stralman is perfect for the PK. For the Powerplay. Not so much. That is Nesterov's bread and Butter. Throw him out there and let him QB the hell out of it. Its funny, the few times I've noticed a jump in the Powerplay, 75 percent of the time Nesterov is QBing it. Then next game he gets scratched or taken off. :laugh:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Yeah Stralman is perfect for the PK. For the Powerplay. Not so much. That is Nesterov's bread and Butter. Throw him out there and let him QB the hell out of it. Its funny, the few times I've noticed a jump in the Powerplay, 75 percent of the time Nesterov is QBing it. Then next game he gets scratched or taken off. :laugh:

Cooper will have carle be the pp qb tonight lol ha ha

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL

Because Nesterov has excellent instincts on the point, at least, relative to the rest of his Lightning peers. He still needs a lot of work both in defending his own zone, and also staying responsible on offense; he does have a tendency to activate or support at times that are not responsible to his duties. At least, on the PP, though, if he's going to be a regular in the lineup at this point (and he already was before Garrison's injury), he should be getting fed minutes there.

Love Stralman like everyone else, but it's quite clear his instincts do not reside much on attacking at 5v4.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
The race is too close and its scary. Every team in that conference is a few points back basically. Not even a wildcard spot is safe or a sure thing. Tampa keeps losing while other teams keep winning

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
passing out cheese and crackers to help with the wine

anywho YES YES YES YES GIVE ME A HELL YA

yes dont now how else to say it actually hope we make no moves myself is no savior needed

this team needs to get its head out of the proverbial donkey land and play full games the way that they are capable of playing and own this dammed league its not that hard look at anaheim difference being they kept their streak going and we got a big head young team again arghhhhhhhhhhhh

guzungtite anywho we are just fine we will go to the playoffs and i still think we win the cup boys ladies wont say gentlemen

ok any questions need help call bellview anywho yes we are just fine each game is not life and death as long as they get the message

but they need to step up and be men and be the MAN that simple they can do that is not much needed to change play fast and work hard and play smart yep all of them are capable of it

callahan needs to stop worry so much on hits and remember at all times is about getting pucks and his body to the net wow

hire me cooper i can fix him with a few words :) the seguin factor unreal

carle is a dammed tradegy of epic proportions someone said hes this years morrow

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

morrow played 70 games plus playoffs and was a - 1 ok minus ONE
carle is somehow only a minus 12 last 8 periods is half of that lmao

GollyG

Apr 4, 2015
In a Storm Cloud
I don't think they'll make the playoffs Too much of a logjam. But I hope they do, so I can be pleasantly surprised... and then crushed again as they get swept in the first round. :(

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
i bet we finish second in east yep saying it and pretty sure of it

this team during the 10 games figured it out problem was last night they showed all their bad habits the laziness the easy middle passing the not getting pucks deep and chasing yep they had it all so is plenty to speak about as long as they get the message we begin our run im not scared on road cause i remember the playoffs

this team needs to NOW right NOW put it together and pay the price to win games which they are very capable of doing game after game every two days even on the road

they need to get rid of all the laziness and its the whole lineup they are all doing stupid things they got to out work out speed out hustle other teams

they do this we will still run to the top easily and i think honestly believe we will do this is not that hard they just got to play the way they can as hard and fast as they can and help each other

i watched second time last night all the mistakes were primarily from laziness not helping each other not skating etc.. easy things to see and fix

we hurt ourselves with that ten game stretch we went back to hay we can win them all by just showing up and putting on the jersey well now they learned and should get it thats not the case they got to play 60 minutes like we did and wait for the opportunities to present and capitalize on those oppourtunities while doing the little things like getting pucks deep to win games

is not a hard game the talent is their the wisdom is there if they lose the attitude of we should just show up and win lol

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Not if last night's gongshow was any indication. Too many teams jostling for position. Many of whom are more consistent than us.

gong-o.gif

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Because Nesterov has excellent instincts on the point, at least, relative to the rest of his Lightning peers. He still needs a lot of work both in defending his own zone, and also staying responsible on offense; he does have a tendency to activate or support at times that are not responsible to his duties. At least, on the PP, though, if he's going to be a regular in the lineup at this point (and he already was before Garrison's injury), he should be getting fed minutes there.

Love Stralman like everyone else, but it's quite clear his instincts do not reside much on attacking at 5v4.

I still maintain that Nesterov can be a solid top four defenseman in the future. He needs game time though. Sure he has brutal games, then he has games where he actually looks like a legit puck mover. Thing is with Nesterov most of his mistakes he makes because hes actually trying to do something with the puck, and not a straight up omission like certain vets on our team. :(

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
passing out cheese and crackers to help with the wine

anywho YES YES YES YES GIVE ME A HELL YA

yes dont now how else to say it actually hope we make no moves myself is no savior needed

this team needs to get its head out of the proverbial donkey land and play full games the way that they are capable of playing and own this dammed league its not that hard look at anaheim difference being they kept their streak going and we got a big head young team again arghhhhhhhhhhhh

guzungtite anywho we are just fine we will go to the playoffs and i still think we win the cup boys ladies wont say gentlemen

ok any questions need help call bellview anywho yes we are just fine each game is not life and death as long as they get the message

but they need to step up and be men and be the MAN that simple they can do that is not much needed to change play fast and work hard and play smart yep all of them are capable of it

callahan needs to stop worry so much on hits and remember at all times is about getting pucks and his body to the net wow

hire me cooper i can fix him with a few words :) the seguin factor unreal

carle is a dammed tradegy of epic proportions someone said hes this years morrow

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

morrow played 70 games plus playoffs and was a - 1 ok minus ONE
carle is somehow only a minus 12 last 8 periods is half of that lmao

Morrow was too damn slow, and he dragged his line down. He wasn't mentally handicap when he got the puck. There is a huge difference.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
I still maintain that Nesterov can be a solid top four defenseman in the future. He needs game time though. Sure he has brutal games, then he has games where he actually looks like a legit puck mover. Thing is with Nesterov most of his mistakes he makes because hes actually trying to do something with the puck, and not a straight up omission like certain vets on our team. :(

I don't know why anyone should disagree with you. Nesterov needs to be less worried about making mistakes in the O-zone and be allowed to progress naturally on D, that's it. Much better to have him making errors than Matt BLEEPING CARLE.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad