Do you think the Bolts' long postseason runs in '20-'22 contributed to first round exit in '23

Do you think the Bolts' long postseason runs in '20-'22 contributed to first round exit in '23

• Yes

Votes: 24 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 25.0%

• Total voters

png57

Oct 5, 2022
I've heard broadcasters and fans throw this theory out there during the playoffs this year. However I'm still not completely sold to it. To put things in perspective these players still got 3-4 full months of summer rest before the next season (depending on year) despite making it to the Finals. Not to mention throughout the season they are always being looked after by professional athletic therapists. Wonder just how much the high mileage from previous years' playoff runs have impacted the Bolts' rest and performance in this year's playoffs.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Sure it contributed but nowhere near as much as people think. I remember when the Pens came off back to back cups and people said they just ran out of gas on the 3rd year then they proceeded to get knocked out of the first round every year since.

Clearly, this team had a ton of jump in the playoffs, some unfortunate injuries and an all time awful showing by Vasi were significantly bigger factors than a longer summer.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yes because I believe it took a toll on Vasy and that's what mattered
Yeah I think it was Vasi more than anyone else. Nobody else really complained about being tired or not taking care of their bodies enough. Even then though, if he had just chilled out and pushed for rest himself it might not have been an issue. The way the rest of the team played in the first round was more than good enough, definitely felt like the switch flipped for them again.

Reactions: Major4Boarding

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Why is a leaf fan making a thread in the Tampa board?
I don't mind. png57 came in without flaming the organization and raised an honest question. Given what we see on many posts created by fan's of other teams, this is a refreshing glass of Rum over Ice.
As for the question, absolutely. The lack of capable bodies in Syracuse as needed due to the depth being dealt in the "Win Now" team mode meant that the roster players had no choice but to play through injuries and could not get rested.
Vasi's body, as well as several other players, simply said enough is enough and could not perform up to expected standards. It happens.
The far bigger concern is that if we do not correct the shortcomings that are plain for all to see, we may well be right back here next year and our "Win Now" opportunity gets another year older while the pipeline gets another year weaker. Not to mention more contracts coming due.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Maybe a little but the rest is going to do them well. This team needs a fresh start and a fresh outlook. It's important to be able to reset sometimes

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I don't mind. png57 came in without flaming the organization and raised an honest question. Given what we see on many posts created by fan's of other teams, this is a refreshing glass of Rum over Ice.
As for the question, absolutely. The lack of capable bodies in Syracuse as needed due to the depth being dealt in the "Win Now" team mode meant that the roster players had no choice but to play through injuries and could not get rested.
Vasi's body, as well as several other players, simply said enough is enough and could not perform up to expected standards. It happens.
The far bigger concern is that if we do not correct the shortcomings that are plain for all to see, we may well be right back here next year and our "Win Now" opportunity gets another year older while the pipeline gets another year weaker. Not to mention more contracts coming due.

"Lack of capable bodies" didn't hurt us, guys like Perbix and Raddysh were more than adequate. No team in the league has a guy in their pipeline who can replace a Cernak type player if injured.

What shortcomings were there aside from star players not showing up? As far as I saw the depth was there in spades. Kucherov, Point and Stamkos having 1 goal combined after game 1 and Vasi blowing nads cost us the series.

No excuse for any of them either, Stamkos missed the entire 2020 run, Kucherov missed the entire 2021 season and Point missed the 2022 playoffs where as guys like Kilorn, Hedman, Sergachev, Cirelli who played through all 3 seasons and cup runs looked fine. To add to that, 60% of the team didn't play through all 3 cup runs which makes the argument even worse.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Vs. Toronto it was really just Vasy. We could have had everything else go right, and we still would have lost with Vasy playing like that. And if Vasy had been just average, everything else could have stayed the same and we would have won.

bigdaddio

Jan 22, 2019
Vs. Toronto it was really just Vasy. We could have had everything else go right, and we still would have lost with Vasy playing like that. And if Vasy had been just average, everything else could have stayed the same and we would have won.
So much this ^^^^. All Vasy had to be was average and we win that series. I don't know for sure if it was because he was worn out but given his age and track record it's unlikely he is in permanent decline.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah, I'm just saying let's stop thinking about complete overhauls and making up what needs to be improved. At best, we don't really know, because we actually looked really good vs. The Leafs.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I actually liked the idea of keeping killer (at a decent rate) because he's been a part of that core group for years and for most part been real good. Colton is good too and young but I feel like we can actually get something decent for him now and we can maybe keep Killer at a decent rate since he doesn't want to leave. Had a good season last year tho he can cash out in fa probably.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Of course it did, I Dont see us turning into the pens when They tried going back for the 3, we have the core locked down on long term contracts and have some good prospects to fill in the holes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad