Do you think Nate Schmidt is a #1 D?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
He's certainly been a big part of their success this year. Sure corsi isn't his best friend, but considering his Qoc and statline, he has been very good. What is the opinion of those who get to watch him more than those of us who have only caught a few Vegas games?

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
He is a fine defenseman, handles top pair just fine and is an all-around awesome dude. I can't believe we were scratching him for Karl ********* Alzner last year.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
He is a fine defenseman, handles top pair just fine and is an all-around awesome dude. I can't believe we were scratching him for Karl ********* Alzner last year.
well in fairness you ended up winning the series anyways, not that it was in question anyways

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
well, that's weird, because he used to have a VG shot when he was with the Gophers.

And no, he's not close to being a #1.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
By HF's standards. No.
By my own. Closer but not really.
In practice? Yes.

He's a good number 2 but not exactly a true stud #1

It helps that Miller is almost as good.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
well in fairness you ended up winning the series anyways, not that it was in question anyways

Yeah but it was too close and now we have a year of having to listen how the Leafs were basically as good as the caps, with Schmidt maybe it's a 4-0 rout and Leafs don't get the moral victory to trot out all over the boards

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
and theodore
True. Honestly if he can just become a little more solid defensively I'd say Theodore is better than them two. He's improved by leaps and bounds in the last month or two but that's an improvement from some really poor defending.

Edit: but Theodore on the puck is probably one of the best players on the team. His ability to carry the puck and distribute it in all three zones is only matched by Marchessault.

Last edited:
Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Yeah but it was too close and now we have a year of having to listen how the Leafs were basically as good as the caps, with Schmidt maybe it's a 4-0 rout and Leafs don't get the moral victory to trot out all over the boards

The Caps are still the Caps and the playoffs are still the playoffs so I doubt the bolded would be the case.

Reactions: 99664987

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I honestly have no idea what to think of anyone playing a big role for Vegas. I keep waiting for them to fall off but it doesn't happen.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
*Nelson laugh*

Seriously though, Schmidt impressed me more than any Caps defenseman had in years in the last playoff series...I'm ecstatic he's no longer part of that organization. I'm skimpy with handing out #1 D ratings, but I wouldn't find fault with him as a damn solid #2 at this point in time.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think Theodore has been their best defenseman so far into the season, I said he should've made it after Vegas finalized their roster.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
Solid d man. Just not sure he can take over shifts/change games like most number ones seem to be able to do - at least in the games I’ve seen him in (4-5 games this season)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad