Do you think Malkin will ever play 70+ games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Aged 31, Malkin hasn't played more than 69 games since 2011 season, missing at least 13 games in each of the last five seasons. After his ACL/MCL surgery he came back and scored 50 goals. Since then he's had various injuries every season and probably some of them, especially toward the end of the season, aren't so bad that he cannot play but in prep for the playoffs, he has sat.

I wonder if Geno will have to modify his game, not sure in what ways, though, to minimise getting injured. I'm afraid at this rate, his NHL career may not last as long as it could. How healthy would he be able to stay by his mid 30s?

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017
Malkin has had nagging injury issues for years, but I really don't think anyone cares how many regular season games he plays as long as he's healthy in the playoffs. He has only missed what, like 1 playoff game since 2011?

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Malkin has had nagging injury issues for years, but I really don't think anyone cares how many regular season games he plays as long as he's healthy in the playoffs. He has only missed what, like 1 playoff game since 2011?
Well, I care how many games he plays, hence this thread! But thanks for your answer.

Reactions: TheMule93

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
I don't see Malkin changing his playing style, it goes against his persona. So he'll probably get injured in most of years, unless he gets lucky.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
He gets a lot of small nagging injuries that he could probably play through if it were the playoffs. As long as he can put up playoff performances like last year i don't think not playing 70+ games is a big deal. He's not going to risk it for regular season games. Just need him healthy for the playoffs.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Who cares if its 70 or 82... Doesn't look like its truly got in the way of winning cup(s!) ;)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He gets a lot of small nagging injuries that he could probably play through if it were the playoffs. As long as he can put up playoff performances like last year i don't think not playing 70+ games is a big deal. He's not going to risk it for regular season games. Just need him healthy for the playoffs.

I actually think this is Geno's problem. Instead of resting a game or two after a minor injury, he plays through it and ends up making the injury worse and misses 20 games.

If Malkin would just sit out 1 or 2 games after an injury, I think you'd see him miss less time total because he wouldn't be turning minor injuries into major ones by attempting to play through them.

Reactions: Casanova

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
He may only play 65/82 games a year but he's an absolute beast when he's playing. The mix of size, power and skill is near unstoppable.

If it meant playing a 'softer' style to avoid more injuries, he'd probably be less scary to watch (as an opposing team fan) and potentially less dangerous. It can be tough to change your style when you've been doing it as long as he has.

I agree with you, I hope his injuries don't force him into early retirement and given his skill level, he should be able to play for a while. Malkin is a tank out there, one of my favorite players to watch.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
I think he likes to sit out a few games to rest up for the playoffs. It's pretty well known league wide.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Aged 31, Malkin hasn't played more than 69 games since 2011 season, missing at least 13 games in each of the last five seasons. After his ACL/MCL surgery he came back and scored 50 goals. Since then he's had various injuries every season and probably some of them, especially toward the end of the season, aren't so bad that he cannot play but in prep for the playoffs, he has sat.

I wonder if Geno will have to modify his game, not sure in what ways, though, to minimise getting injured. I'm afraid at this rate, his NHL career may not last as long as it could. How healthy would he be able to stay by his mid 30s?

Malkin played 75 games in 2012...

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
If Malkin didn't decide to go down and block a shot in that game against Calgary. He would of played 70 plus games last year.

I am not sure why but I think Malkin will find a way to stay healthy this season and play 70 plus games. If he find a way to play close to 80 games. He has good shot winning the Ross. Last 2 healthy seasons he had 09 and 12. Both times he won the Ross

kaner88slo

Apr 8, 2017
Do you guys think his minutes will be taken down a bit this year? He played lots of hockey 2 years in a row(even though he missed some regular season games). His ATOI last year was 18:37 last year. I guess something similar should be expected this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad