Do you think it's possible? (1 more Cup)

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think they can make another run, but the chances of actually winning the Cup are a real long shot. They owe it to Crosby, Malkin, and Letang to at least try, though.

They would really need to get lucky with another Guentzel/Rust/Sheary injection of youth that makes a real impact again to actually win it. I don't see where they would be getting that from, but I'm not as high on Puus, Nylander, DOC, etc. as some others seem to be.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Dubas is going to have to win big on every trade and signing for 1-2 years and the core is going to have to keep beating Father Time for that time for it to happen. Hextall really did a number on the roster here.

Oh and a few kids are going to have to outperform their ceilings.

It is possible in terms of anything's possible, but actually meaningfully possible? I don't think so unless the org is willing to be a lot more aggressive about mortgaging the future than they have been so far.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Absolutely no way. But I'm still happy enough to watch Sid, Malkin and Letang play the game in their twilight years. Winning a playoff round would be nice, though.

Reactions: SirBrad and Peat

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Not really, no

They're mired in too many warm bodies taking up cap for too many more years

Can't build enough around the big guns to really challenge another team

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Possible? Sure. Absolutely. They should be able to make the playoffs two of the next three years with a competent GM. Once in, anything can happen. Florida squeaked in and made the final. Plenty of other teams have had deep runs from low seeds.

Likely? No. But to quote Tolkien: "If this is to be our end, then I would have them make such an end, as to be worthy of remembrance."

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
There is no chance they win another cup with Sullivan as coach or this half ass, purgatory approach, where we don’t go all in. Either start the rebuild or go for it.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Aren't we like 3/3 on winning the Cup after firing a coach mid-season?

do-it-just-do-it.gif

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Yes. But we need a goalie not named Jarry to bear the load.

Edit after Jarry re-signing: F***.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think this would be a good topic to discuss going forward this summer:

Do you think the Pens can win one more Cup before the core retires? Or should they focus on softening the blow as we transition to the next era?

I think they should go all out and try for one more as long as we have the big 3 playing at a high level.

Thoughts? Is it possible to get a 6th Cup before the end of this era?
Not with Sullivan.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
We’d at minimum need another superstar to play on the 3rd line. Talking like a 70-80 point guy…preferably a center. And then we’d need close to elite goaltending and a lot of luck with injuries. If we had all of that, we’d have about as good of a chance as any real contender in any given year.

Reactions: Andy99

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Nope. We squandered our last potential cup contending years with Ron f***ing Hextall. We are in ride into the sunset mode, the team just doesn’t know it yet.

Obviously, I hope I’m wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad